Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad (Read 59951 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad

Reply #76
Wasn't the plan to try Gorringe elsewhere to the ruck? This may be more pressing now that MacKay is injured.

Yes, he was training with the forwards with the intention of making him a half forward.  That was his role against Hawthorn and he played forward when not rucking against the drug cheats.  It hasn't been entirely successful but he could do OK with a stronger midfield.

I'd like to know how Foster is going  ???
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #77
Where is Jaksch, Plowman, Wood?
Seem to be missing a few :o

Edit, Plowman injured.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #78
Wasn't the plan to try Gorringe elsewhere to the ruck? This may be more pressing now that MacKay is injured.

Yep I reckon Gorringe will probably play KP Forward and have the odd run in the ruck..he was a free agent so we have nothing to lose by trying him forward but history
shows ruckman dont make it as KP Forwards...Paul Salmon and Peter Moore being exceptions...

I saw a bit in Gorringe in the last game to suggest he has some ability but he needs some angry pills to maintain the rage as he seems to play in bursts....if he can make a contest and give Casboult a chop out he might be of some value...the alternative is Liam Jones or Foster...the latter seems to be in hiding as we have not seen him this NAB cup and Jones might as well have been in hiding given his effectiveness...
Sam Rowe is another who could play CHF but is better down back IMO..

Reply #79
I'm not worried about seeing Wood. I know what he can offer.

Gorringe and Phillips need exposure and senior games on end as much as we can offer them IMHO. Same could be said for a number of other blokes.

Foster....who knows whats happening there.

Jones to the magoos to learn/play FB.

My preseason side had Rowe at CHF with Casboult at FF but unless they decide to throw Gorringe to CHB (not a bad idea!) then Rowe will stay in defence and we'll rotate the newbies through the ruck and forwardline with MK and Levi.

Reply #80
I'm not worried about seeing Wood. I know what he can offer.

Gorringe and Phillips need exposure and senior games on end as much as we can offer them IMHO. Same could be said for a number of other blokes.

Foster....who knows whats happening there.

Jones to the magoos to learn/play FB.

My preseason side had Rowe at CHF with Casboult at FF but unless they decide to throw Gorringe to CHB (not a bad idea!) then Rowe will stay in defence and we'll rotate the newbies through the ruck and forwardline with MK and Levi.
I get the idea that we have been assessing who is ready to step up to regular senior footy in varying roles rather than anything else.  If you haven't seen a player yet they are either injured or earmarked to play a certain role IMHO.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #81
Think I'll go along and have a look at what is now close to our best team. Pity about Murph.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #82
Rainbow? Sheehan?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #83
Young Charlie Curnow must be making a pretty good impression, named in all 3 games, and you would have to think now would be a good chance to play early games in season proper.

It'll be interesting to see what role he settles into, probably more as a forward, in his 1st season at least.

Someone has to kick our goals !!

Weitering also looking good, which is probably less surprising....
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #84
Given that it's a pre-season game and a time of experimentation and 'mixing it up a bit' I wouldn't mind seeing Weitering have a game up forward.

Reply #85
Given that it's a pre-season game and a time of experimentation and 'mixing it up a bit' I wouldn't mind seeing Weitering have a game up forward.

Agree. Like to see him trialled for at least a quarter up forward.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #86
Weitering is a natural backman. Curnow a natural forward.

I'd love it if we just left that alone and let them settle into the team. Going to be hard enough to be first year players.

Reply #87
Young Charlie Curnow must be making a pretty good impression, named in all 3 games, and you would have to think now would be a good chance to play early games in season proper.

It'll be interesting to see what role he settles into, probably more as a forward, in his 1st season at least.

Someone has to kick our goals !!

Weitering also looking good, which is probably less surprising....

I had a chat to Ed after the Essendon game and he reckons Charlie will be a star as a marking forward.  He could be a tad biased but I'd like to think that he's on the money :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #88
I get the idea that we have been assessing who is ready to step up to regular senior footy in varying roles rather than anything else.  If you haven't seen a player yet they are either injured or earmarked to play a certain role IMHO.

I'm not sure Dillon Viojo-Rainbow falls into either of those categories.

Reply #89
I'm not sure Dillon Viojo-Rainbow falls into either of those categories.

Some may have already been written off altogether.

This one has had the kiss of death on him since Andy maher called him the next ken Hunter this time last year.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson