Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 14: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs GWS (Read 14981 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 14: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs GWS

As usual, I will complete the title after the game with some appropriate. I have my preferences. :)
Anyway, it is ready for use when required.

Game just done. I edited the topic title. I have no idea what happened except that we lost by about 10 goals.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 14: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #1
Scrappy match that we were expected to lose, hung in there for three quarters but fell away in the last which allowed them to give the scoreboard a pummelling.

Most of the players tried hard, can't ask for much more than that, just outclassed.

Glaring weaknesses once again were the lack of midfield depth and genuine key position players, especially a gorilla to take big marks and kick goals. This should be addressed over the next couple of off-seasons.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #2
I just tried to lock the In Game thread to find that someone else had already had that idea.  ^-^ ^-^ ^-^
Nichevo. Great minds must think alike.  ;)

Our structural weaknesses are showing. Now that we have shown teams that we can be dangerous, they will probably be more respectful of us. However, that does not help us win.  :(
Now comes the hard part: to get our list up to scratch when the others KNOW we are on the right track. Stephen Silvagni, time for you to pull out some more miracles.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
I think Cripps is carrying an injury...if that's the case he's doing pretty well.
I'd like to see White freed up and playing as a full forward.
Not too disappointed by that effort...they're a couple of years ahead of us and we have a bit of work to do in the midfield and forward.
I'd like us to have a crack at Patton..can play forward and back.

Reply #4
Had a crack, got close a few times but simply ran out of class in the end.

Reply #5
Certainly very competitive for 3/4. Fell away and outclassed in the 4th.
I am (Carlton) satisfied with the effort, given our limitations.
Gibbs was solid in his 200th.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #6
Game went to script, not sure we learned anything new either good or bad and time to move on to beating the Pies...

Reply #7
Not a bad effort for a 10 goal loss.
It sounds a bit stupid but GWS will have plenty of 10 goal wins in Sydney over the next two or three years, they have the makings of a very good team.
We can get by on G&D up to a point but when we strike some classy opposition our foot soldiers get found out.
Gibbs and Cripps our best I though, Docherty and Tuohy both battled hard and so did Ed Curnow but we were simply overwhelmed.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #8
GWS are awesome...

Still think we have better players on the list than Tutt, Lamb and Sumner -- good depth players but not starting 18 quality

Reply #9
Yet more proof that we need a lot more speed around the stoppages. When GWS break from a clearance (i.e the first pass right after a tap down) they are already in the clear and running in waves.

Reply #10
GWS have already done a number on a few teams this year - I'm sure we won't be the last.

Reply #11
No real surprises here. Pretty much what we expected. GWS are very very talented in all  depts. We know only too well where we are.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12
Haven't seen any of the game (in transit) but I think that the pick of the Crows duo is definitely MATTHEW Wright.

Comments??

Reply #13
To a degree both ex-crows have been strong, fairly consistent contributors. They've both been excellent role models for the young guys, setting the standard for fitness and effort. Happy to have them both this year.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #14
Haven't seen any of the game (in transit) but I think that the pick of the Crows duo is definitely MATTHEW Wright.

Comments??

Tend to agree - I'm not really a fan of Kerridge. Works very hard and certainly gets around the ground BUT he fumbles too much for mine and his disposal is so so - often puts the receiver under pressure. I can understand why the Crows let him go. Wright is definitely my preference of the two.
Reality always wins in the end.