Skip to main content
Topic: A List with Real Potential (Read 22267 times) previous topic - next topic

A List with Real Potential

18 players inside the top 15 in their respective drafts - Jaksch, Gorringe and maybe Daisy the 3 questionable ones.... The rest can and will play significant roles in our resurgence! Some have yet shown much through injury, youth or circumstance but the upside in guys like McKay, Cuningham, Charlie Curnow, Marchbank, Pickett, SPS, even Billie Smedts (whom Geelong rated very highly) is massive.

Guys like SPS and Pickett can change the course of a match off their own boot - only Gibbs rarely of our current crop has/had that ability. Maybe Murph and Special K once, but arguably no longer. I reckon Curnow the younger will be such a player too - whether in the guts or as a roaming forward.

Plenty of picks in arounds the 20s to add to the mix - Fisher, Kerridge, Blaine B., Lamb. Fisher wil surprise many - our Caleb Daniel with X factor.

Then there's late gems like Simmo - one of the first picked every week...I would imagine Ed Curnow one of the first picked too?

Go Blues.

Player Name   Draft Pick
Bryce Gibbs   1
Jacob Weitering   1
Marc Murphy   1
Matthew Kreuzer   1
Dale Thomas   2
Lachie Plowman   3
Jarrod Pickett   4
C. Marchbank   6
Charlie Curnow   6
Rhys Palmer   7
Sam P-S         7
Harry McKay   10
Liam Sumner   10
Daniel Gorringe   10
Kristian Jaksch   12
Sam Docherty   12
Patrick Cripps   13
Billie Smedts   15
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Re: A List with Real Potential

Reply #1
Patty Cripps at 13 .......... its almost unfair that we snagged him that late !
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #2
Yep added 5 more first round picks to our list, if all can live up to their draft position then a flag for us in 2017 ;)

Our list looks really balanced at the moment, with recruiting B.S. (before SOS) there seemed no plan, the last two years you can see direction and a genuine building of the team. We have looked at the holes and drafted accordingly. We needed to increase speed and get better ball users, we still needed some more KP players and we got two and when you put our two teams down on paper it works.

FB Marchbank Rowe Plowman
HB Docherty Weitering Simpson
C Murphy Gibbs Cunningham
R Philips Cripps E Curnow
HF Silvagni McKay C Curnow
FF Kruezer Casboult Wright
I White, Armfield, Kerridge, Palmer

FB Byrne G-McKasker Jaksch
HB Williamson McCreadie Smedts
C Buckley Graham Boekhurst
R Koerceck Thomas P-Seaton
HF Lamb Jones Sumner
FF Pickett Kerr Gorringe
I Sheehan Fisher, Poulson

When you consider we have some "dead men walking" in Thomas, Jaksch and Jones and well as a few "piss or get off the pot players" Buckley, Graham, Boekhurst, Lamb, Sumner, Casboult and Gorringe, next off season could be as busy as the last two.

Reply #3
I think as the individuals gel we'll beat a few good teams eg Geelong this year.

We had their measure all day.

I'm not sure the 22 can have Kreuzer, Phillips, Rowe and the Bolt in it (and Harry too)?

I think the 22 will eveolve during 2017, guys warranting selection in the 2s will force their way in - some permanently.

I do hope Sumner makes it and he will barring further injury.

Our back line has the potential to be the best in the league if our mids work better defensively.

Our forward line with C. Curnow, SOJ, McKay and a Pickett/SPS/Fisher/Polson as the crumber and Matty Wright as the hard nut defensive forward - again, will surprise many too. The Bolt is on orders, perform this year - up the ground or as a stay at home FF? Arguably, with no foil in 2016 he wasn't used very well. Maybe that was by design?

I guess one on one - if we get the ball to him quickly, he'll out mark andyone, even a Rance type.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #4
Upside or downside in 2017?

Bryce Gibbs   1 - the same level as 2016 will be just fine
Jacob Weitering   1 - upside as gets stronger, feels more comfortable. The general down back, future Captain.
Marc Murphy   1 - missed most of 2016, should be fresher for the rest.
Matthew Kreuzer   1 - still the team barometer, but might struggle to hold his lace if he can't take more marks.
Dale Thomas   2 - goneski, enjoying his 700k pa.
Lachie Plowman   3 - gets a full season, watch out. Will see him in the middle....
Jarrod Pickett   4 - if this guy is fit and interested, will become an elite of the competition. Time will tell.
C. Marchbank   6 - gun in the making, but again a 3rd tall down back or a potential midfield option?
Charlie Curnow   6 - see Marchbank but arguably even more flexible!
Rhys Palmer   7 - great addition of experience, still a ball magnet and a handy goal scorer. Will play 22 games.
Sam P-S         7 - I'm in love (enough said).
Harry McKay   10 - now 203cm, looks very athletic, mobile and agile. Should get plenty of opportunity in 2017.
Liam Sumner   10 - injury free, will be a regular 22 player.
Daniel Gorringe   10 - jury's out, showed a bit this year but where/what could he find 'his' position?
Kristian Jaksch   12 - great potential as a swingman but seemingly lacks the desire?
Sam Docherty   12 - gun. AA player. That you Brisvegas.
Patrick Cripps   13 - gun. The rest in the next few months will prove a blessing!
Billie Smedts   15 - if he's a regular i.e. injury free, walk up start, superb utility.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #5
Our forward line with C. Curnow, SOJ, McKay and a Pickett/SPS/Fisher/Polson as the crumber and Matty Wright as the hard nut defensive forward - again, will surprise many too. The Bolt is on orders, perform this year - up the ground or as a stay at home FF? Arguably, with no foil in 2016 he wasn't used very well. Maybe that was by design?

I guess one on one - if we get the ball to him quickly, he'll out mark andyone, even a Rance type.

I love the optomism but i can't share it.

Yes i know, everyone we drafted will perform at their maximum and everybody lives up to their potential and turns the club around....but that doesn't happen. At least 2 players we drafted won't be on the list in 2 years. Another one might be injured over the same period. etc.

The forward line still worries me greatly.

Curnowfides could be anything and through sheer lack of options everyone has him locked into our forward line. Ideally, you'd want him roaming through the middle and/or wing, but i accept he'll play forward.

McKay hasn't cracked it for a game. Sure, he is the great white hope, but he doesn't have the wraps on him like someone like Hogan does/did...and he is still a few years behind him yet.

SOJ, exceeded all expectations and its hard for anyone to see a time where he will be left out of the side. 2nd years blues and some young kid niggles and he might be running around in the 2's for large part of the season if he doesn't break down completely. He plays like his father, but hasn't got the mature body for that style just yet.

Pickett/SPS/Fisher/Polson - Pickett is a bit different as he has been in the system for a bit now, but the others would be lucky to play 22 games between them. Expected them to hold down a spot is, again, very optimistic.

Wright is the one player we can bank on IMO....bit having said that, not many people rated him for the majority of the year. People are more accepting of him no since he actually won the goal kicking and had a good placing in the B+F. Still, we picked him up off the scrap heap and he's not going to scare the opposition like an Eddie Betts would.

That leaves Casboult. I notice how you talked about him outmarking everyone, but failed to talk about the next step - kicking. We are the only team in the history of the AFL that has their worst kick on the list as their main forward target. Love his physicality and presence, but we cannot consistently move forward with him as our main goal kicking option. On a good day, he'll kick straight and we win. Over the course of a year, we'll lose more games than we win because of his rollercoaster accuracy.

Personally, i'd put in Smedts before a few of them as he knows where the goals are and can take advantage of the smallest of opportunities.

Overall, there are way too many unknowns from our forwardline and when the inevitable happens, and they get injured/dropped, the next bloke in will be a player like Jones/Jaksch. Still excited about our options?

Reply #6
The list is far from finished through Kruddler.

We need to get games into the young forwards especially. They are still young and will get knocked around however once they have found their feet at VFL level playing against men, then they need to be exposed at the top level for as long as their body will handle it. This season is not about 2017, it's not about finals it's about development, being competitive and getting our young team ready for a push in 2-3 seasons time.

I fully expect this team to finish bottom 4 this season, we don't have the quality of experience. The only way we get that is to give our next crop all the games we can, get them working within a structure and for it to become second nature.

We will have lows and some high's and some I can't wait for him to get older, see last season when Charlie Curnow went straight up between two defenders and plucked the mark, Jack Silvagni when he looked in slow motion, evading players the put a pass into the forward 50 to advantage of our big men. Weitering dominating seasoned players down back, this is not hope, this is reality as they have all done it before. Cunningham mightn't ever be star but his small sample size of games last season showed he does the right things when he's around the ball.

I cannot wait for SPS to side step an opponent and burst away from the pack hitting a leading forward on the chest, will he get caught doing it, yes probably on a 3 to 1 ratio but he needs to get that feel to the game, or Fisher diving under a pack getting quick hands out, or laying a tackle to switch the play. Again it won't be every time but I'm just looking for some of the time.

Who on here didn't roar when Boekhurst ran down Richards, why? It's wasn't just the act of the tackle, but it was the feeling that a player who never seemed interested in doing the hard stuff, did what the coached would preach, never give up.

If you cannot be positive at this time of the year, then it's going to be a long season for you in 2017.

Reply #7
I fully expect this team to finish bottom 4 this season, we don't have the quality of experience.

If you cannot be positive at this time of the year, then it's going to be a long season for you in 2017.

See that is the thing.

I also expect to finish bottom 4, or bottom 6 at least.

Are you are happy and positive with this finish? I'm not.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but i've been chasing that light for over a decade now and although signs appear to be better, we are still chasing that light.

Everyone has potential, upside and room for improvement.
Yarran was a better player at that age then he ended up being in the end. Who saw that coming?
Probably say the same about Garlett.
Betts left us at his peak.
Robbo showed the intensity and love of the jumper.
Bell showed good signs and was the next kouta for a while.
None of these things turned out as we were expecting. There are more.

I'm happy with the young talent wehave on our list, and the way we go about trading of late. But still, we don't have anything to show for it.

I'll be more optimistic this time next year. But i suspect a long season ahead. One in which we are MORE annoyed with our forward line than we were this year....which i didn't think could be possible.

Reply #8
I think we probably have thinking here, one exception you're looking back, mentioning players who are gone. Before 2016 doesn't exist to me any more, we have a new crew running the place, they seem from the outside to be working together and when they started we were told this is a 66 game rebuild. So far we are 22 games into it so 1/3.

We have another year where 8-12 players will get delisted again and then have another big recruiting class to bring in. That should be the last year of the big broom and hopefully will be smaller adjustments from there on.

Do I like finishing bottom 4/6? No but it's a realism of where we stand. We had years of poor decisions and we are trying to fix this.

No-one knows what will happen, will players want o go home or move on, but at this point in time I'm looking for positives as I only have the highlights and what has been written about the players to go on. I'm sure we will see their warts as time passes, but at this point in time they are cleanskins to me. I'm not going to get down about what may go wrong, instead I'll think of what may go right.

Reply #9
If we finish bottom 4 this place will be a mess  ::) :D

Reply #10

We are miles away from GWS, Sydney and now CheatsFC and we still do not feature in the AFL's plans.

The other clubs I can't make up my mind about, but along with the premiers there are probably another six or eight that are remaining well ahead of us.

IMHO, that leaves us bottom six for 2017.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11

Back in October 2014 Kruddler and Raydan questioned my support for my club because I expressed an appropriately pessimistic view of our prospects.  We now have a coach who actually knows how to coach and has a game plan that works, a list manager who knows how to manage the list, an administration that is running the club well, a board that is staying out of the news and a playing group that is united and far superior to what we had going in to the 2015 season.

We'll get at least 10 wins and will finish in the middle six.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
Pessimists ;D

We didn't finish bottom 4 this year.
Bottom 4 means going backwards
If we go backwards this place will not be pretty.

Now I'm not saying that's the right attitude but it's what will happen ;)

People will accept a bit of pain for a while, and Bolton has more goodwill than all the coaches we've had in the last 14 years, but if we see no progress people will start to wonder whether not they're being fed bullcrap.
That's been a pattern over the last decade.

People are patient and understanding now.
Twelve months from now they'll be less patient and understanding if we've made no apparent progress.
That's when the questions will start to be asked, queries at first followed by all out criticism the longer success eludes us.

Of course that's not going to happen...We'll be camped firmly in the 8-12 range on the ladder at season's end and we'll be well pleased with the progress. :D

Reply #13

Of course that's not going to happen...We'll be camped firmly in the 8-12 range on the ladder at season's end and we'll be well pleased with the progress. :D

So no chance of this place being a mess......

Reply #14
Back in October 2014 Kruddler and Raydan questioned my support for my club because I expressed a pessimistic view of our prospects.  We now have a coach who actually knows how to coach and has a game plan that works, a list manager who knows how to manage the list, an administration that is running the club well, a board that is staying out of the news and a playing group that is united and far superior to what we had going in to the 2015 season.

We'll get at least 10 wins and will finish in the middle six.
I'm with you DJ, the positives are starting to outweigh the negatives. That will translate to a rise up the ladder. It may even happen sooner rather than later.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time