Skip to main content
Topic: Squad for JLT game named (Read 43071 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Squad for JLT game named

Reply #150
Dees were competing for spots.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
Different teams will have different priorities at this time of the year.
Melbourne's win over the Bulldogs indicates that they're using this series of matches to really push hard.
Whether that benefits them in a long season is to be determined.

Seven of our players played less than half of the game, so our priority today was giving them a taste. (Gorringe's injury apart, though it's likely he would have been less than 50% as well.)

I'm sure that experimentation applied to positional play as well.

We had different priorities to Melbourne today.
Winning wasn't one of them.
Those priorities will probably be different again next game culminating in the best possible line-up for when it really counts

Reply #152
Just got back from the game and from the get-go you could see that the Go Dees were playing for keeps. They were 100% committed at every contest and were so well drilled. Us? Not so much... understatement. We looked rusty and as if we were experimenting.

Very few highlights for those of us who travelled a fair way to watch what seemed a 75% commitment... but it's not about us who travel but the bigger picture. Our marketing at the game also seemed lacklustre... the Go Dees had a huge banner for the seniors to run through but there was a real low key entrance from our boys. The Go Dees AFLW gals interacted a lot with fans... our gals just vanished after the loss and little supporter interaction. I understand it was a Go Dees home game but really?

Disappointed in the efforts of Thomas, Buckley, Silvagni, and Cuningham. Cuningham got a couple of free kicks which helped hide his lack of intent and costly errors. Palmer looks a little slow.

Positives: Kruezer, Marchbank, Simpson, Smedts, Rowe, Fisher, C Curnow, Le Bois, Pickett and Casboult - liked his around the ground work.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #154
I'd already watched that post game interview.

We tried some things. I get that, i expect that.

What i'm disappointed in was that whatever we tried today, didn't seem to really achieve much.

But more importantly, i don't think we tried to put in a lack of effort. I couldn't give a toss about winning today.

Not sure if it was Mick or Bolts, but one of them had a phrase akin to
"Effort is unconditional"

That is the most disappointing thing from today. Try whatever you want to try....but make sure you are putting in maximum effort.

Reply #155
Only watched the 1st half, it was horrible.

Reply #156
i understand a coach wants to try new things, but weitering in the forward line irks me
he is either a defender or not. He's young and needs to learn the craft.

Reply #157
i understand a coach wants to try new things, but weitering in the forward line irks me
he is either a defender or not. He's young and needs to learn the craft.

One of our defenders will end up forward I reckon. Not sure we could play all of Rowe, Marchbank, Plowman and Weitering in defence. Going by today Casboult is going to share ruck duties with Phillips injured so we have a spot there. Two actually.

Reply #158
Well that was pretty rank.

POSITIVES?

IT'S ONLY PRESEASON!!!

Melbourne did play last week so they're ahead of us and looked it.

Bolton seemed to be operating his minimal bench rotations in preseason to harden everyone's running ability so this will have contributed to the exhaustion our players seemed to be experiencing - and led to fatigue and many bad decisions and poor disposal.

Pickett!
Looks fit and looks like he's got the goods. Wish he'd played the whole game and further up the ground.

Smedts was ok I thought but didn't look best suited to the tight game. I like his agility.

Backline and forward line almost get a pass from me today. It was impossible to judge how good/bad they were on today's effort from the midfield who should be embarrassed by what they dished up.

I've been saying for some time - Weitering has to play forward. It's where we most need him. He looks a natural up there for me. Kicked 1. All but kicked a second (into the breeze) and played a big part in at least 1 more.

Fisher looks like a real get. Thank god he's short otherwise he'd never have made it to pick 25.

Marchbank looks the goods also. Was probably our best.

Cripps didn't play and he constitutes half our team as far as I'm concerned. SPS was also missing. I also think A Silvagni has to play. Must be so far in front of White it's ridiculous SW played.

NEGATIVES

We were horrible. Reminded me of the games against StK last year when we got pumped. Mids were unable to apply any pressure and when that happens Bolton's system breaks down completely.

Docherty was absolutely putrid. If he did one good thing for the day I missed it. Dropped easy marks and generally played like he was wearing a pair of oven mittens. Was my worst on the ground mostly because I know he can be so much better.

Thomas is officially done.

Kerridge is waaaay too slow as is Curnow, White, Wright and Gibbs and we can't play them all together. Guys like Polson / Williamson / Pickett should be played in front of the Kerridge/Thomas types.

Cunningham worries me. He has an unhappy knack of playing entire quarters with zero pos. Did start to look better late in the game but was COMPLETELY anonymous in the first 3 quarters.

LeBois is still some way off (despite his goal of the year) but Pickett is way in front of him based on today.

Gibbs had little impact and Murphy less than zero. There has always been something uninspiring about those 2.

Cripps & Weitering should be our leaders sooner rather than later.

Reply #159
Not surprised at all by the result, we looked messy without system and the Dees are bordering on being final 8 material and have a much better team..
Without Cripps we will struggle against every team...thats a given IMO, we look undersized without him around the ball and the Dees players just broke our tackles and were too big bodied overall.
Really like Marchbank who was the pick of the newbies, Pickett was good and at looks a solid player....Smedts was reasonable..

Dees looked more advanced in their preparation, fitter and Goodwin has put an edge on them while Bolton is still getting the basics of a gameplan across to some of our blokes who have to learn to play together and that takes time....

Wouldnt be too worried as its all part of the rebuild and we are going to see some poor losses as part of the process.....

Reply #160
Having read all the comments on here, Bolton's after match comments, highlights and the like, I think it's obvious that the boys were just going through the motions, almost certainly under instruction. Bolton didn't sound like he cared, the boys were just jogging around etc. Minimal effort just to show up and participate.

As Lods said, different teams approach the pre season differently. The Swans under Roos were notorious for treating the pre season as a joke, and Roos made this pretty clear on a few occasions.

So if we're serving this up for pre season, fine. If this is what we bring in Round 1,  watch out.

Reply #161
Agree with PaulP. Whether we're good enough to go through the motions is another question but we better give it a red hot go come round 1.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #162
I agree with EB on this one.
D's are a couple of years ahead of us in terms of list development. Although we have been their Achilles heel during recent times.

I really liked what I saw (TV fox) from:
big H - loved his chase, tackle, and below knees work
Charlie - couple of endearing little gigs with his bro. The Blues brothers ;)
SOJ - quiet. That will be a great motivator for him
Cunningham - a few flashes, nice link up with little Zac
Weitering - almost forgot he's only a 2nd yr player. Solid.

Zac - good vision and lovely kick, didn't look intimidated by big body challenges
LeBois - aside goal of the year, positioned himself well (in what appeared a less than organized plan), looked dangerous. Enter 1AW - you have much to work with.

Smedts - OK, hope he'll build quickly with a few under his belt
Pickett - flashes of real class, looks composed and has good awareness
Marchbank - our future. He's a gun
Palmer - one threat around goals, otherwise... need to see more before I comment

Of our seniors:
Casboult created a consistent presence. Couple of nice marks, snaps, and improved set shot technique
Rowe, as above. Marked well (instead of spoiling) and even did a cheeky play on. I think confidence might be up under Bolts. Looking forward to see if he's got another string in his bow

What didn't impress me:
Thomas - sadly, looks like the end is now
Our senior stars were lacklustre. Hope to see good buildup to R1 in R2/3
Buckley, White, Kerridge need to work hard if they're to keep a spot

While our good patches were, well, good. They were short lived and too few. Our bad patches on the other hand were quite long. Our seniors didn't (perhaps under instruction) manage that. Understandably, this makes supporters anxious - hold on folks... It was great to see the new blokes, who mostly went alright. Our big challenge will be gaining consistency. Naturally that will take time with a rebuilding team. If our other new blokes are as good, we're heading in the right direction.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #163
The thing about our list and those of us who have been on this site for so long is it resonates in that old Bob Dylan Quote "you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"
There is no magical quick fix.

The vets.
Murph
Gibbs
Kreuzer
Simmo
E Curnow
Armfield
Rowe
White
Levi

The solid core.
Cripps
Weitering
Docherty
C Curnow
Silvagni
Mckay
Marchbank
Plowman
Wright
Phillips
Byrne

Speculative.
Cunningham
Buckley
Kerridge
Palmer
Boekhorst
Lamb
Sumner
Smedts
Gorringe
Graham

Gone
Jaksch
Jones
Thomas

Youngsters

Petevski-seton
Fisher
Macreadie
Polson
Williamson
Pickett
Kerr
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #164
Gorridge done his Achilles.

Footage of him punching the table in the rooms indicated it was a serious injury.

Felt for him - had a small opening with Phillips out for a few months.

Cruel game sometimes. 

We better nurse Kruezer the rest of the pre season. Can't afford him to break down with no reasonable back up.