Skip to main content
Topic: Bryce Gibbs & Marc Murphy (Read 26577 times) previous topic - next topic

Bryce Gibbs & Marc Murphy

Reply #15
Take it easy folks...Spanner is venting and while being colourful has probably just said what some supporters are thinking... those supporters who have had enough of us being a bottom club and looking for some answers.....FWIW I think Murphy has been good this season and Gibbs serviceable in most games..
Are they great No 1 Picks....No....low impacting players who can be very good but not in the elite category ie Judd, Ablett, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Fyfe. Martin etc
Does that mean I would trade them out?..Yep...Right offer and they are both on their way....neither will be part of our next top 4 finals team IMO and we need to roll the dice
while they still have value....

Reply #16
Take it easy folks...Spanner is venting and while being colourful has probably just said what some supporters are thinking... those supporters who have had enough of us being a bottom club and looking for some answers.....FWIW I think Murphy has been good this season and Gibbs serviceable in most games..
Are they great No 1 Picks....No....low impacting players who can be very good but not in the elite category ie Judd, Ablett, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Fyfe. Martin etc
Does that mean I would trade them out?..Yep...Right offer and they are both on their way....neither will be part of our next top 4 finals team IMO and we need to roll the dice

+1
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17

Good players need to be surrounded by other good players to really show their wares. We've seen this with Betts.

Reply #18
Its funny. Pagan was mentioned a couple of times after the match and BANG. Spanner shows up.

It's like Beetlejuice by proxy.

Why is it when a player or players are critised all the politically correct brigade come running? It's like I've directly insulted your mother.

FFS, my take on it is they're hacks. You don't have to agree, but I find it amazing that people like you are so accepting of mediocrity. But hey, whatever rocks your boat...
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #19
Why is it when a player or players are critised all the politically correct brigade come running? It's like I've directly insulted your mother.

FFS, my take on it is they're hacks. You don't have to agree, but I find it amazing that people like you are so accepting of mediocrity. But hey, whatever rocks your boat...

If you think Murphy and Gibbs are the problem you've got rocks in your head  ::)

They may not meet your ideal footballer criteria but they are both highly rated by the different coaching panels they've played under, their peers and opposition clubs.

By all means have a crack if you think they're not performing to whatever standards you think they should be but don't attack them or any other Carlton player personally.  Leave that to Richmond supporters.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20

This guy cracks me up. :) :)

Reply #21
FWIW. I know plenty of Carlton Supporters who share Spanners opinion.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
When you consider these blokes are getting paid in the vacinity of 500-700K I reckon they're fair game for some serious critiques of there efforts.

These two have milked our club and their fellow team mates for their entire careers. Now it's time for someone to call them on it. That someone may as well be me.
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #23
FWIW. I know plenty of Carlton Supporters who share Spanners opinion.

Glad to hear  I'm not the only one.
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #24
Murphy always misses the easy set shots.

Gibbs coughed one up on Friday kicking out of defence which should be bread and butter for a B grade player. 

I don't think they are over rated, no one rates them.

Murphy we are stuck with now, Gibbs will get traded

Reply #25
Trade them both and trade Kreuzer. This will usher a truly next-gen team.

Cunninghams power play was almost Dangerfield like bursting through packs. He must play dont care how many errors he makes he just must play.

Reply #26

The bottom line re our 3rd quarter/regular capitulations is that there is a failure of grand proportions from on-field leaders when we're worked out by the opposition and they counter our structure(s) - we, collectively, p1ss ourselves... this is a time in games when our leaders are supposed to inspire and give direction to the newbies, instead we're relying on our newbies to give the older blokes 'and injection of energy'... what a load of frog sh1t that is.

Gibbs and Murphy have both been very professional and hard working this year, but when they ease up, we're stuffed. And they both ease up from time to time during games. I wonder if both having come to the good ship CFC during a period of abject failure have been scared to the point of tolerating 'losing', like it's almost burnt into their brains. And I think there is still something of our 'introvert' days still playing out.

In an ideal world Murph would be a small forward who goes into the midfield from time to time and who wouldn't be the Captain, he really is an incredibly talented footballer who I'd never want to see leave, we've just burdened him excessively. And Gibbs would be traded to Port (Adelaide don't have as great a need) for a first rounder. Then we would spend up and get in two marquee players. Our kids look good, very good. We need an extroverted skipper, someone who is used to/demands winning.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
Good post Baggers, and I agree with most of that.

As with too many of our players, Murph's best year was 2011, when he was 2nd banana behind Judd, and was mainly used as an outside play maker, and creative small forward, both positions to which he is best suited. He does ok in his current role as an inside player, but I just think he's being misused.

Gibbs was used for too long as a spare parts man, and played in every position except ruck. This quite likely stalled or derailed his development.

Reply #28

In an ideal world Murph would be a small forward who goes into the midfield from time to time and who wouldn't be the Captain, he really is an incredibly talented footballer who I'd never want to see leave, we've just burdened him excessively. And Gibbs would be traded to Port (Adelaide don't have as great a need) for a first rounder. Then we would spend up and get in two marquee players. Our kids look good, very good. We need an extroverted skipper, someone who is used to/demands winning.

I still see Murphy as a midfielder; his main problem has always been the evolution of bigger bodied midfielders who crunch him at every opportunity.

Reply #29
I don't agree quite so much on Gibbs. I think he actually shows some passion / intent (though not to the level of a Selwood, etc.). Tackles much better these days than he did in his youth and does contribute deep into the final quarter even when the game is lost. Still too much going missing when the heat is on though when we really want our leaders to stand up and cut the crap when things are running against us.

Murphy on the other hand... I can't find much to defend him. You cannot hide a player in your midfield who won't tackle. Particularly with the style Bolton is trying to play which is all about fierce competing and pressure. I understand the issues with his shoulders aren't really his fault but it is reality and right now I don't think we're acknowledging the reality of the situation. Your captain is sitting there asking his team to be desperate and give everything for the cause but it's a bit of a "do as I say not as I do" situation which is cancerous.

We won't ever move forward properly until he's gone. He could have some trade value to a GWS for example which could help set up our next premiership team.

As to the language used in this thread - I'd have less of an issue with this than the one where individuals line up to write off young players before the season even starts. That is truly embarrassing to read.