Skip to main content
Topic: Bryce Gibbs & Marc Murphy (Read 26505 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Bryce Gibbs & Marc Murphy

Reply #135
We need to be brave with the rebuild and that comes changing leadership group and trading Gibbs and Murphy and letting Thomas go.

Cripps, Docherty, Kreuzer, Curnow and need two leaders for the forward line.

Seems more like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.

In the meantime lets go watch the likes of Nick Graham, Sam Kerridge, Blaine Boekhorst, Rhys Palmer and Billie Smedts run around in the AFL every week.

Trading 101.  If a player is worth more to you than they will return to you in a trade, then you don't trade said player.

Murphy on the open market, is a 30 year old, classy midfielder who hasn't played a full season in the last 5 years.  He will not get us a first round draft pick in return, because longevity will be a concern, AND he isn't the missing link between anyone and a flag.

Gibbs is a 28 year old top 50 midfielder in the AFL who is good at what he does, but is a death by a thousand cuts player who can score 20 goals a season if playing on a HFF.  He will not put a team on his back and win a game on his own (actually he is good for one or two of these games a season PROVIDED he has others around him contributing) but is an accumulator who is better when playing without an opponent as that way he gets more time to use the ball.  He would complement the Tigers Midfield and aside from that, would be an also ran in most other midfields.  I estimate he is worth a first rounder, simply because he is the type of player who finds space without having elite pace, and is capable of playing outside the midfield in areas which should see him play for another 7 years, but it would be line ball between him and another draftee.  He might get some interest but we actually need to turn him into two players to make the exercise worthwhile.

I estimate this is how these two are viewed by the AFL.  If you listen to the critique of everyone in this topic who state "trade him" they state they are fairly useless, and then believe they are worth first round draft picks (multiple in Gibbs case).  Sounds slightly like wishful thinking to me.

Now moving on from that thinking, have a think about what we can do with their compensation.  Draft maybe another top liner, or maybe another also ran in the teens of the draft (I don't see top 10 draft picks coming to us in return for either of these two) and even if we on trade for a player like Kelly, we end up younger, but no better on game day because we have actually gone backwards cutting loose players that play more good games than bad ones, just not to people's lofty expectations.

Some of these people will also not hesitate to part ways with Levi, who is on track to kick his biggest tally in his career, and looks to really be going from strength to strength and only Harry Mckay in his second year of footy resembles a key forward from the rest on our list.

Basically, the point I am making, is we need to bring in better talent to replace the blokes on our list who are taking us no where, and let guys like Gibbs and Murphy start to become role players, in an effort to IMPROVE us and not just change it.  Changing it will not necessarily yield better results, and for those who want to argue with my thought process, getting rid of these two means seeing the following players go around again next year (potentially):

Graham 9
Boekhorst 3
Kerridge 7
Smedts 5
Sumner 4
Lamb 7
White 11
Armfield 2
Gorringe 0
Jacksch 0
Buckley 1
Palmer 1

12 players on our senior list for a total of 50 games, and you can count the amount of times any of them made it into our top players on one hand and none of them will even poll well in the B+F instead of trading out blokes who will make up part of our top 5 in the B+F at the end of the season.

Whilst I understand the thought process of you have to trade something out to get something in, we are better off keeping it simple, and working on trades that will actually see our list in better shape in 2018 rather than just another unknown variable.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #136
Does SOS need an assistant?

If so, Thry is the man for the job  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #137
my view is a player we could use as bait during trade week is a 20 yr old def named plowman .I see him as that in between player not quick,not tall enoughh.is he strong enough? Name a game where he has really stood out? in my eyes he is to slow. just a thought.

Reply #138
my view is a player we could use as bait during trade week is a 20 yr old def named plowman .I see him as that in between player not quick,not tall enoughh.is he strong enough? Name a game where he has really stood out? in my eyes he is to slow. just a thought.

I like Plowman, and I reckon he's had a better season than Marchbank. Personally, I would not trade him.

Reply #139
Basically, the point I am making, is we need to bring in better talent to replace the blokes on our list who are taking us no where, and let guys like Gibbs and Murphy start to become role players, in an effort to IMPROVE us and not just change it.  Changing it will not necessarily yield better results, and for those who want to argue with my thought process, getting rid of these two means seeing the following players go around again next year (potentially):

Graham 9
Boekhorst 3
Kerridge 7
Smedts 5
Sumner 4
Lamb 7
White 11
Armfield 2
Gorringe 0
Jacksch 0
Buckley 1
Palmer 1

12 players on our senior list for a total of 50 games, and you can count the amount of times any of them made it into our top players on one hand and none of them will even poll well in the B+F instead of trading out blokes who will make up part of our top 5 in the B+F at the end of the season.

Whilst I understand the thought process of you have to trade something out to get something in, we are better off keeping it simple, and working on trades that will actually see our list in better shape in 2018 rather than just another unknown variable.

I've been arguing this for months but the Murphy and Gibbs haters refuse to accept the truth about our list! I'm sure they'd rather keep the spuds and get rid of the leaders, before eventually finding somebody else to blame like SOS or Bolton!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
Does SOS need an assistant?

If so, Thry is the man for the job  :)

Thanks for the pat on the back DJC, but if we want to see us going the right way about doing things, I definitely am not the man for the job.  I would be far too emotional about the place, and wouldnt be able to be ruthless enough.  I could very well be wrong and trading these guys being the right thing to do, but the odds have to be stacked much more in our favour than bringing in another first round draft pick to replace them.

Every year the crop at the draft get better according to rumour, but have a think about us trading out our second rounder in the coming draft, to pick up 3 draft picks in the 60's and 70's in last seasons draft.

That doesnt speak for us prioritising the upcoming draft pool, particularly when you consider that we speculated (and seem to have won fairly well on them) on some late draftees from last year.

either SOS will be getting us more picks, or we will not be that active on draft day, and have factored in this draft not being a good one.

Murphy is a worry for me, not from an ability perspective, but an ability to play footy the way he currently does for much longer.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #141
Kelly could cost us Gibbs, Murphy or even both, yet there is no guarantee he will be any better or even their equal!

We have some half decent player development now, lets make use of it with some quality draftees!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #142
I've been arguing this for months but the Murphy and Gibbs haters refuse to accept the truth about our list! I'm sure they'd rather keep the spuds and get rid of the leaders, before eventually finding somebody else to blame like SOS or Bolton!

I'm certainly not a hater of either, but that being said, i'm all for trading them.

I understand you need to improve the list, rather than trade like for like and get nowhere. However, my reasoning for doing so is that in a few years, we might not have them around at all, nor will we have any talent to replace them.

Trading an a-grader who is approaching 30, for an a-grader who is in his early 20's entering his prime IS improving the list as it means we have an a-grader on our list for another say 7 years thanks to the trade.

Look at it this way.
We traded Fev away late in his career.
That got us Henderson.
We traded Henderson away
That got us a 1st round pick.
That was part of the GWS trade but basically got us pick 8.
Pick 8, was eventually pick 10 which got us Harry McKay

So traded away an old Fevola got us a 10year+ Harry McKay.

What might we get for Gibbs and/or Murphy?  ;)

Reply #143
Trade them both and lets repair this horrid no depth midfield once and for all.

Reply #144
I like Plowman, and I reckon he's had a better season than Marchbank. Personally, I would not trade him.

Paul...Dont think either will be traded and are a big part of the future....this is the problem you get due to poor list management. The 10-12 players we want to get rid off are
next to worthless and people start looking at trading decent future  core players like Plowman, Marchbank because the others are only delist material.
Sometimes you have to resist the temptation to trade quality, its like the sharemarket, mug traders feel they have to trade stocks all the time to feel like they are doing something but usually trade the wrong ones and keep losing money..
Recruiting/List management is the same, clubs like Hawthorn use the Warren Buffett analogy when they trade.....they want a dollars value for 50 cents, they just concentrated on value trading, getting something better for less..ie offloading players like Croad and Hay for Round 1 picks...ie Croad and McPharlin got them Hodge and Mitchell....
Nathan Lonie and pick 54 for Port Adelaides 1st rounder  Pick 14..yep read and weep that we could do a deal that got us Pick 14 for say Nick Graham and Pick 54.....thats the difference and why Hawthorn dominated an era.. and this is how we have to trade..

Reply #145
Agree Elwood. I certainly wasn't advocating trading them, but I can see why pew2 would make the suggestion.