Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton 2017 - Review (Read 14554 times) previous topic - next topic

Carlton 2017 - Review

So the year is nearly done, what can we take out this season. Ignoring trades and could have beens, what are your thoughts of our 2017 season.

For me we've had some positives, but my biggest issue is a worry.

We've cooked Weitering, the kid looked good enough to be superstar, and I realise most players get the 2nd year blues, but we've cooked him. I'm not sure he can recover from what we've done to his confidence and game. He's gone from a Rising Star attacking intercept player to a stay at home and mind your opponent dogs body!

It looks like we've turned the the next Harry Taylor into a new Simon White!

It's hard enough to make it as an AFL player, without the club you play for working against you!
The Force Awakens!

Re: Carlton 2017 - Review

Reply #1
Results aside we are just playing ugly crap football.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
I feel this year was always going to be a "development" year.  Five rising stars and unearthing SPS, Williamson, ACOS, Jones, Big H, Pickett have also been more positive than negative.

Reply #3
we need mids, mids and mids...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #4
we need mids, mids and mids...
and some more mids.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
And some goal kickers.

And to get rid of more scrubbers from our list.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #7
I think it is mids all around.

Having much better footballers than Graham, Smedts, Boekhurts, Kerridge using the football would make the world of difference.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #8
2017 was definitely a development year where we had a focus on defensive structures, improving kicking skills and getting game time into the younger players.

But this came at a cost - not taking risks slowed our game down to the point where it made life near impossible to move the ball effectively to our forwards and at times playing too many young bodies that were too easily outmuscled by stronger teams. This has clearly taken its toll and our injury list is curtailing progress - both the players that are sitting out and those that are taking the field but who are clearly a bit banged up and not 100%.

My hope for pre-season and 2018 isn't just the new draftees we bring in, but how we evolve our game plan to incorporate a greater focus on attacking as the young players get smarter, stronger and faster.

The day will come when Cripps rips it out of contest, handpasses to SPS who bolts through the centre and kicks a beautifully weighted kick that allows Curnow to fly for a huge mark and kick a goal. And it will be glorious.

Reply #9

Having much better footballers than Graham, Smedts, Boekhurts, Kerridge using the football would make the world of difference.

Agree 100%. We need to significantly upgrade on these guys for starters. They are just not good enough imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10

Yep basically that. Can't have these guys as our midfield depth/fringe. To be a solid AFL mid you have to be able to win your own ball and have good disposal as a minimum, unfortunately those guys all lack in at least one of those aspects if not both.

As a team I did not expect much, felt it was always another development year. Bolts will move to the next stage of development of the team and game plan and try to be more attacking after this year was spent on defensive structures. This time next year will be interesting.

Reply #11
And some goal kickers.

And to get rid of more scrubbers from our list.
This will happen naturally.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
To be honest I wasn't expecting much from this season and even though our win/loss ratio is poor we've been more competitive in more games than I thought that we would.
I doubt that we'll improve radically next season but for the first time in what seems like centuries we finally have a sizeable group of talented young players coming through together, not just a Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer and then zilch.
Petrevski-Seton, Curnow, Weitering, Cripps, Docherty, Plowman, Marchbank, Silvagni, Byrne, Fisher, Cunningham, Williamson and McKay are all under 25 and their scope for improvement is enormous, Liam Jones has been an unexpected but very important bonus and he's just past his mid 20's.
If we draft and trade well again this year and next the sky is the limit, I'm actually optimistic about the future for the first time in ages.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #13

Petrevski-Seton, Curnow, Weitering, Cripps, Docherty, Plowman, Marchbank, Silvagni, Byrne, Fisher, Cunningham, Williamson and McKay are all under 25 and their scope for improvement is enormous, Liam Jones has been an unexpected but very important bonus and he's just past his mid 20's.
If we draft and trade well again this year and next the sky is the limit, I'm actually optimistic about the future for the first time in ages.

If Weitering was 22 or 23 I'd be worried..... but he's 19 in his second year he'll be fine.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #14
To be honest I wasn't expecting much from this season and even though our win/loss ratio is poor we've been more competitive in more games than I thought that we would.
I doubt that we'll improve radically next season but for the first time in what seems like centuries we finally have a sizeable group of talented young players coming through together, not just a Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer and then zilch.

Agree. We are in the early stages of a painful transition. We'll take another step forward with this year's draft/trade IMO. I'm not too concerned about Weitering either tbh. He's still very young and could do with a break from the heat of senior AFL footy, which he'll be getting very soon.
Reality always wins in the end.