Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 1: Northern Blues vs Collingwood (Read 16096 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 1: Northern Blues vs Collingwood

Reply #105
Fast?!?  Not an adjective I'd use for Jack S.

As you no doubt know, Professory, there are two types of speed when it comes to footy - leg speed and footy smarts speed... Jack seems to have the latter.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #106
I agree with you but he must work on his speed over the first few steps.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #107
I agree with you but he must work on his speed over the first few steps.
Absolutely, and work on his reflexes.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #108
I'd like to explore the remote operation of a robotic substitute as part of income sharing scheme, I'll be based in Fiji!

What does this add to the discussion??
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #109
What does this add to the discussion??

The whole Simpson's episode was a commentary on the concepts like those in you describe in your workplace, a trend that swept through Silicon Valley years ago. Workplaces offering that sort of environment quickly became the target of less than motivated employees opportunistically gaming the system. It is one of the factors that are said to have contributed to Silicon Valley's mini-crash years ago, and why most surviving organisations have now restructured to limit the scope of employee choice! Out of that also came Hot Desking, which is an accountant  psychopath's solution to the problems the earlier concepts created.

Hot Desking is basically trying to achieve 100% return from a capital resource by ignoring/eliminating the human element as an effect, it is built on the premise that workers can work as much or as little as they like as long as their station is staffed and operating at capacity! It does this at the expense of consistency and quality. What happens is you end up with job sharing and part-time staffing generating massive under-employment and eliminating penalty rates while keeping things running 24x7. It seems attractive to new mother's in particular, until the kids go to school and they find they cannot get full-time work, and their husbands have reduced wages due to the job sharing pressures on the marketplace. Millennials are a particular victim of this.

Either concept might work in some limited scope, but they cannot be generalised.

If you leave a loophole, there will always be someone less altruistic who is willing to do their very best to take advantage of it. If you try something like this with a playing group there is a very high risk just that at some stage one or two individuals could undo your whole construct.

The concepts are great, if the employees are altruistic robots, the type that send you a work email at 3am in the middle of the holiday season.

I don't know about your sector, it's size or scale, I'm not making a comment about where you work.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
The whole Simpson's episode was a commentary on the concepts like those in you describe in your workplace, a trend that swept through Silicon Valley years ago. Workplaces offering that sort of environment quickly became the target of less than motivated employees opportunistically gaming the system. It is one of the factors that are said to have contributed to Silicon Valley's mini-crash years ago, and why most surviving organisations have now restructured to limit the scope of employee choice! Out of that also came Hot Desking, which is an accountant  psychopath's solution to the problems the earlier concepts created.

Hot Desking is basically trying to achieve 100% return from a capital resource by ignoring/eliminating the human element as an effect, it is built on the premise that workers can work as much or as little as they like as long as their station is staffed and operating at capacity! It does this at the expense of consistency and quality. What happens is you end up with job sharing and part-time staffing generating massive under-employment and eliminating penalty rates while keeping things running 24x7. It seems attractive to new mother's in particular, until the kids go to school and they find they cannot get full-time work, and their husbands have reduced wages due to the job sharing pressures on the marketplace. Millennials are a particular victim of this.

Either concept might work in some limited scope, but they cannot be generalised.

If you leave a loophole, there will always be someone less altruistic who is willing to do their very best to take advantage of it. If you try something like this with a playing group there is a very high risk just that at some stage one or two individuals could undo your whole construct.

The concepts are great, if the employees are altruistic robots, the type that send you a work email at 3am in the middle of the holiday season.

I don't know about your sector, it's size or scale, I'm not making a comment about where you work.

What does this add to the discussion regarding developing people in the workplace/and or teaching players a role??

Too many conversations are steering off course, where you change the subject to deflect away from the meat and potatoes of a post, to talk about something a little bit outlandish such as becoming an altruistic robot working in fiji.

Let me simplify this for you a little bit.

If Jack and Brendan have a conversation about Jack's future ability to play AFL football, and his strengths vs his weaknesses putting him in the frame to be a midfielder, and for Jack to actually want to be a midfielder, what is the crap that you are talking about have to do with the price of fish?

Players don't change position on the park without a conversation between coach and player (for reference see Jeremy Laidler vs Mick Malthouse).

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #111
What does this add to the discussion regarding developing people in the workplace/and or teaching players a role??

Too many conversations are steering off course, where you change the subject to deflect away from the meat and potatoes of a post, to talk about something a little bit outlandish such as becoming an altruistic robot working in fiji.

Thry YOU introduced YOUR workplace as an example, not me.

Then after I post a satirical response querying the effectiveness of such a regime, YOU want to point the finger at me for allegedly causing the subject matter to drift onto YOUR workplace scheme!

I'm assuming YOU posted YOUR workplace example with some relevance to the debate, or was it just YOUR attempt at a pisstake?
The Force Awakens!