Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 1: Northern Blues vs Collingwood (Read 16289 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 1: Northern Blues vs Collingwood

Reply #61
Polson playing because we are seriously lacking pace and pressure inside forward 50, Kerr will make the situation worse not better

Reply #62
Like Patrick Kerr...big unit who has a great kick on him.....has to play seniors soon...

Exactly!

As much as I enjoyed Levi kicking straight last night his game style was rubbish and looking at McKay on the replay today it's similarly rubbish. Not sure who is responsible for this, coaches or players, but it's a joke.

Friday night we saw Cripps, Charlie and Weitering all crunched by Levi jumping into them from behind yet barely touching an opponent in the process. An accident, well briefed by his manager looking for a contract extension?

Several times Friday night lots of supporters including the commentators bemoaned our ball use entering F50, but on several occasions we had players kicking the ball from forward of the wing over 40m plus or more of open space and Levi refused to run to the ball. All he wanted to do was launch from behind, and it worked a couple of times for him but on the other occasions it just looked rubbish and had team-mates hanging their heads in confusion. The tell that this was pissing the team off was when Levi crumbed a goal, hardly a single team-mate gave him a boost!

Bring on the mid-season trade so we can do a deal now, Levi will never be worth more than today!

McKay, wanting easy out the back Joe-the-Goose goals. I mentioned in one of the practice match reviews that I was worried about these signs, a lot of people must go off the stats but there was barely a highlight to mention on the video review. Which coach is responsible for having 200cm x 100kg players behave like Eddie Betts? By default they must take the front position, dispose of defenders and generate opportunities for crumbers, not play like rovers!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
Friday night we saw Cripps, Charlie and Weitering all crunched by Levi jumping into them from behind yet barely touching an opponent in the process. An accident, well briefed by his manager looking for a contract extension?

What an utterly stupid comment. Go support another team clown...  >:D >:D
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #64
Exactly!

As much as I enjoyed Levi kicking straight last night his game style was rubbish and looking at McKay on the replay today it's similarly rubbish. Not sure who is responsible for this, coaches or players, but it's a joke.

Several times Friday night lots of supporters including the commentators bemoaned our ball use entering F50, but on several occasions we had players kicking the ball from forward of the wing over 40m plus or more of open space and Levi refused to run to the ball. All he wanted to do was launch from behind, and it worked a couple of times for him but on the other occasions it just looked rubbish and had team-mates hanging their heads in confusion. The tell that this was pissing the team off was when Levi crumbed a goal, hardly a single team-mate gave him a boost!

Bring on the mid-season trade so we can do a deal now, Levi will never be worth more than today!

McKay, wanting easy out the back Joe-the-Goose goals. I mentioned in one of the practice match reviews that I was worried about these signs, a lot of people must go off the stats but there was barely a highlight to mention on the video review. Which coach is responsible for having 200cm x 100kg players behave like Eddie Betts? By default they must take the front position, dispose of defenders and generate opportunities for crumbers, not play like rovers!

You got shares in a tin foil company or do you just like the way the hat feels on your head?

Some bizzare comments in there....even for you.

Reply #65
Exactly!

LP..Not sure Levi is our major worry, he aint pretty but was effective vs Collingwood in his own way. Pretty delivery isnt and hasnt been a feature of our play since Houlihan last passed to Fev.
Bombed balls on our forwards heads is par for the course in our forward line and Levi is better contesting than worrying too much about who is in front of him getting crunched, he should be doing more of it IMO.
I want Kerr in because while still a novice he leads well and draws the ball to him......he is a more traditional forward than Levi the way he plays and might straighten us up a bit and encourage more system.
The smaller forward line thematic probably means Levi  is less valuable at the minute and while he isnt everyone's cup of tea he seems injury free compared to our other big blokes and we need him more than ever this season IMO ...

Reply #66
Thankfully I didn't see the game, however the reports are nothing short of disastrous. It seems the common of theme of being beaten to the ball, out pressured and simple skill errors, are tracking in the firsts and the seconds.

The skill errors are common in poor teams, but look where St Kilda and North Melbourne are presently - they are very much in a similar position. I think the silver lining (if there is any), is that we can improve. A little more composure (experience), improve decision making (experience), along with more hardness to the contest (physical development / attitude), will see a more committed side. This rings true for both reserves and seniors, it may be that this is the annus horribilis of the rebuild, if we stick to the path, we may emerge out of this a stronger club overall.

Hard to see and accept, but could this be the catalyst for real change? It will shock and hurt the players, it will hurt the club and supporters, but I would love to look back on this in four to five months and know this was the pain we had to have. Probably time to play our youngsters together, it may mean putting them together into the one team - be it the seniors or reserves.

Reply #67
Like Patrick Kerr...big unit who has a great kick on him.....has to play seniors soon...

Yes. Next week.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #68
Wouldn't that mean a tall forward has to go out? CCurnow or Casboult?

Reply #69

No. Play Charlie further up the ground.

The forward line is where we are failing badly. We are not bad  with inside 50's but can't kick goals once the ball is up there.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #70
Agree with that, but isn't Charlie leading our goalkicking? And showing the most promise for kicking goals for us?

Reply #71
The problem on Friday night re goal kicking wasn't the big blokes, it was a poor contribution from our small forwards and mids.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #72
The I50 stat is a BS stat if all the entries are terrible....as ours are.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #73

Bringing in Kerr is equivalent to play SOSOS.

So we'd just go back to Casboult, Curnowfides and Kerr....a relatively standard forwardline setup.

Reply #74
Bringing in Kerr is equivalent to play SOSOS.

So we'd just go back to Casboult, Curnowfides and Kerr....a relatively standard forwardline setup.

I would like to see us try that combination.
Reality always wins in the end.