Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 3: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 25032 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 3: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #150
Jones isn't a good body on body player he's better using his athleticism and reach to beat opponents.

We are struggling because on field there are too many people focussed on themselves rather than helping the next bloke.  Defence is a team within the team and currently it lacks leadership to the point Marchbank going down costs us big time.

If Marchbank and Docherty make that much of a difference, then both should be signed to long term deals on big $.

Reply #151
We knew Mullett's weakness when we got him , Brad Scott told everyone why he was cut...thats down to SOS for picking him up
Wright...aint quick but at least he kicks straight when he does get a joe the goose ball, most of his teammates would miss, especially Pickett.
Cripps...yep down side of Cripps is he is dead slow and blows up when he chases.....he wasnt a top ten pick for that reason, he is an extractor, does Tom Mitchell chase and catch anyone?

Dow....he isnt a great kick on the run or for goal, he isnt terrible but its not his big weapon either...everyone who watched the TAC knew that...guess what either was Chris Judd...

Kerridge....not the worst player and will probably hold up better physically than Dow at the minute but its a retro move bringing him back, he was disinterested vs the Pies VFL team and couldnt be bothered chasing or throwing himself into the fray. He knows this is his last season...

JackS...better than most in terms of endeavour but still as slow as treacle vs the Pies VFL team , yep bring him back in but he will never be the main man down forward and needs decent KP players to be effective, other teams just run off him..

Lamb....not up to it...delist..

Reply #152
If Marchbank and Docherty make that much of a difference, then both should be signed to long term deals on big $.

Is the difference between a win and a smashing defeat so great?

I think for AFL just being a few percent off your peak results in horrible outcomes, AFL clubs full of professional coaches and experienced players can turn the slightest tactical or structural defect into a gaping hole in just moments! If you don't have some polyfiller, the dam wall will break!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #153
Is the difference between a win and a smashing defeat so great?

I think for AFL just being a few percent off your peak results in horrible outcomes, AFL clubs full of professional coaches and experienced players can turn the slightest tactical or structural defect into a gaping hole in just moments! If you don't have some polyfiller, the dam wall will break!

I agree, but I was making a point rather than being literal.

Reply #154

How many games have we won with them in the team?....not that many, I'd be saving the big dollars for the big fish like Sloane, Sheil or Lynch

Reply #155
We knew Mullett's weakness when we got him , Brad Scott told everyone why he was cut...thats down to SOS for picking him up
Wright...aint quick but at least he kicks straight when he does get a joe the goose ball, most of his teammates would miss, especially Pickett.
Cripps...yep down side of Cripps is he is dead slow and blows up when he chases.....he wasnt a top ten pick for that reason, he is an extractor, does Tom Mitchell chase and catch anyone?

Dow....he isnt a great kick on the run or for goal, he isnt terrible but its not his big weapon either...everyone who watched the TAC knew that...guess what either was Chris Judd...

Kerridge....not the worst player and will probably hold up better physically than Dow at the minute but its a retro move bringing him back, he was disinterested vs the Pies VFL team and couldnt be bothered chasing or throwing himself into the fray. He knows this is his last season...

JackS...better than most in terms of endeavour but still as slow as treacle vs the Pies VFL team , yep bring him back in but he will never be the main man down forward and needs decent KP players to be effective, other teams just run off him..

Generally agree EB.

Reply #156

I think Mullett wasn't picked up for the role he is playing, but I also think it was naive to think opposition clubs wouldn't exploit his obvious shortcomings.

Lamb is better than Mullett and by some margin.

Agree about the others.

What you are implying is it's our lack of depth, inexperience, frequent poor work ethic and structural issues that expose some of our shortfalls. I think you are right, and I think that is why BB is attracting some heat!

But it's a bit obvious EB1, what is the answer with the current available resources, what do we try to do differently?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #157
Mullet was an insurance pick-up and is only getting a game because we are the walking wounded already.  If Lang was fit and Docherty wasn't injured and Matt Shaw was up and running mullet would be the third or fourth cab off the rank already and I think we knew that when we got him.

Unluckily for us he's a best 22 player by default because Simpson aside we have a very tall defence which should be doing much better against opposition talls than they are.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #158
How many games have we won with them in the team?....not that many, I'd be saving the big dollars for the big fish like Sloane, Sheil or Lynch

EB, see my reply immediately above.

Reply #159
Jones smashed Lynch last year, our team has had no structure the last 2 weeks. Even looking back at round 1 if we take away the Tigers slow start they killed us as well with their fast transition.

That may well be true, but for me it's an unhappy coincidence that we are book ended by Levi and Jones, two blokes that for me suffer from the same ills - honest, ordinary players who stay on our list for too long, and who deliver the odd cameo performance in a general mass of mediocrity. Players on which the club spends time, money and resources, which IMO, is out of proportion to any perceived improvement. Every club has them - an example for me would be Ryan Schoenmakers - 9 completed seasons, roughly 100 games, in and out of the side for various reasons, mainly I feel because better option exist. Unfortunately for us, our 2 Schoenmakers are vital components in our starting 18, not bit players, playing arguably the two most important positions. And that's a huge problem right there.

Reply #160
And stoners who comment that Rance on rare occasions also gets his pants pulled down (therefore Jones isn't that bad) need to put down their bongs. Rance was AA and Richmond B+F when the Tigers were on a road to nowhere.

Reply #161
And stoners who comment that Rance on rare occasions also gets his pants pulled down (therefore Jones isn't that bad) need to put down their bongs. Rance was AA and Richmond B+F when the Tigers were on a road to nowhere.

What do you call it when you keep chasing your losses, Nthmond are proof that it can eventually pay off! ;D

I think they have the luckiest AFL premiership in the history of the AFL, delivered by doubling down!

They look slightly less likely to slide than the Bulldogs, who perhaps have the second luckiest AFL Premiership in AFL history.

Is it unreasonable and too early to think the Swans or Crows are flag favourites?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #162
What do you call it when you keep chasing your losses, Nthmond are proof that it can eventually pay off! ;D

I think they have the luckiest AFL premiership in the history of the AFL, delivered by doubling down!

They look slightly less likely to slide than the Bulldogs, who perhaps have the second luckiest AFL Premiership in AFL history.

Is it unreasonable and too early to think the Swans or Crows are flag favourites?

They have a flag, and they had luck in getting it, as does every flag team. That's not really the point. I'm talking about Rance v Jones, as absurd a comparison as that is.

Reply #163
They have a flag, and they had luck in getting it, as does every flag team. That's not really the point. I'm talking about Rance v Jones, as absurd a comparison as that is.

I do worry that the vast majority of the differences between the likes of Rance and the likes of a Jones or Weitering comes from the umpires.

Anyone who watched SOS live must understand the hypocrisy of Carlton fans calling for Rance to be penalised. The question though is why some and not others, it is not like it is a subtle situation?

But I appreciate 180 games is a major factor also!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #164
I do worry that the vast majority of the differences between the likes of Rance and the likes of a Jones or Weitering comes from the umpires.

Anyone who watched SOS live must understand the hypocrisy of Carlton fans calling for Rance to be penalised. The question though is why some and not others, it is not like it is a subtle situation?

But I appreciate 180 games is a major factor also!

Rance was winning AA and B+F well before he reached 180 games. I can't really answer your other question. The logical conclusion to your question is that umpires are either corrupt or incompetent, and I'm sure every club has large swathes of supporters with a major victim mentality.