Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 3: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 25090 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 3: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #60
We wanted to rebuild the long way so take the pain that comes with it. We all wanted the club to go to the draft and invest in kids and not take the quick fix approach. Well that sort of rebuild is slow and painful.

All those saying we need mature bodies, drop the kids and bring in Rowe, Asos, Kerridge etc make me laugh.

Then next week we will hear why are we playing those sorts, their slow, their spuds and not part of our future and why not get games into the kids

Weitering, SPS, Charlie, Cunningham, Fisher, Dow, Kennedy etc I’m very confident will all make it but give them time guys FFS.

We are 2 years and 3 games into this. No where near enough time to be so dramatic about performances like tonight.

Bla bla bla...
Sick of the politcal correct BS
The players are moddy coddled...Come on mate you'll get the next one... Better luck next time... Well done boys we won that quarter... We got more inside 50's than them, good work... It's okay, he is just a junior playing a man's game....Pick yourself up, come on you know it's okay to cry. PL eeease.
All go to Bunnings and buy a bag of cement.

This softly softly approach you all take makes me sick. We are shti and have been shti for far too long.
We have a sprinkling of good players that try to do all the work, we have a leader who cannot inspire, we have a coach who seems on face value to be a good fit but his message seems to be waning. Running out of catch phrases. And just maybe he might not have the mettle for match time initiative.
How does Wietering go from a world better to a WTF? What is our club doing to players off the field? We have zero development. When was the last time a player has come through OUR system to become a good player. Cripps you say? He already was good.
You say be patient. Frigging Patient!!!!  ALL blues supporters have been patient, no one has burnt their membership out the front of the club yet, maybe we should it worked for the Tiggers.

I EXPECT my Team of professional players to hit targets by foot (BOTH FEET) and by hand (BOTH HANDS)
I EXPECT my Team of professional players to kick goals (BOTH FEET Murphy)
I EXPECT my Team of professional players to be able to tackle and stick the tackles, at least pin one arm. They always get the ball away.
I EXPECT my Team of professional players to defend, man up etc
I EXPECT my Team of professional players stay on their feet, we seem to go to ground at each contest. (Liam Jones)
I EXPECT my Team of professional players to stand up for themselves, for christ sake you are a Carlton player, NO one should push you around. (You're a mouse Weitering)
I EXPECT my Team of professional COACHES to deliver a constant clear message that enhances players abilities so they play to their strengths. They are matched up on players of their abilities. This zone defence is all good, but too often players are mismatched or out of position and then the team zone falls down. How often do you see it on their kick ins after a behind. We zone off and they ALWAYS get two easy kicks because we are defend a space. Gee that sounds logical to me, isn't that what WITCHES HATS are used for?
I EXPECT my Team of professional COACHES to come up with a better forward line entry, when did we go back to bombing it in? Wasn't last year we were the thinking team of forward entires? Picking our way through, honoring leads. No we have a few talls that can mark, so we bomb it in only to watch them all fly for the same ball and spoil themselves. What happened to leading and running patterns??? No bomb it into the 50 so we get a stat. I only saw the game of the box but even I saw players were free but the ball carrier didn't lower his eyes or turn his head to spot a player in space.
I EXPECT my Professional TEAM to be competitive from siren to siren, I mean this is their job is it not?
I EXPECT my Professional TEAM to be proud.

Alot has been said about the days of Elliot, but we would go back there in an instant. He was ALWAYS front and centre defending the brand. The club is irrelevant now and is just making up numbers in the comp. No one cares about Carlton any more because we are not a threat.
For the last 17 years we have been saying, we are still 3-5 years off from being a threat. WTF? Yeah... No kid will be living in poverty as well!

I know I will get ridiculed for this post because it's not the players fault, they can't help what goes on between their ears but until everyone looks at themselves critically and is honest and call it how it is with themselves and those around them we will always stay irrelevant.
I am a life long Blues supporter and always will be but it BOILS MY PISS when I see another year down the gurgler.  >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #61
Why would you play Marchbank on Varcoe....the latter passed the balll to Hoskin Elliott for the first two Colllingwood goals...who plays a Tall defender on a speedster?

Reply #63
We have been rebuilding for 15 years.

I doubt there was any rebuild during the Ratten era. We had Fev, and from what I could tell, the next part of the plan was "get Judd, and start winning games of footy."

More of a re plastering, wall papering job methinks.

Reply #64
Why would you play Marchbank on Varcoe....the latter passed the balll to Hoskin Elliott for the first two Colllingwood goals...who plays a Tall defender on a speedster?

I think there is at times great confusion as to who our guys should be picking up due to preoccupation with guarding their individual allotted section of grass. Jones is a another prime example of this phenomenon - torn between two different objectives - guard your turf or attack the man with the ball. This imo is resulting in player confusion and our defence being all at sea, including creating mismatches. Combine that with turnovers in midfield and forward zones and pow! Disaster. Whether we can overcome this remains to be seen.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #65
I doubt there was any rebuild during the Ratten era. We had Fev, and from what I could tell, the next part of the plan was "get Judd, and start winning games of footy."

Tend to agree. This is a full rails up, nut and bolt rebuild which will involve pretty much a complete parts replacement, using some temporary second hand parts until the brand new ones are all ready and available.

Reply #66
I hate losing on a friday night.
You are not alone. And to show so little in the first half was very disappointing. No wonder we are top on the pay TV placings. :-[ >:D
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #67
Hey Blue Phantom, your expectation list outlines what is expected of a premiership team or contender. We ASPIRE to those but we are nowhere near those. Checkout the stability and experience within the Swans, Geelong and Hawthorn over recent years. Your checklist of expectations should be non negotiable at those places, given their stages. To EXPECT those things at our stage is pure fantasyland, Walt Disney stuff. To ASPIRE to and STRIVE towards, is our aim. Look at our player turnover, look at our youth. We are a work in progress, nothing more. Let’s reassess when Fisher, Curnow, Cripps, Dow, Mckay, Schumacher, Marchbank etc have between 80-120 games on the board.

Reply #68
only started watching very end of Q1, turned it off ten minutes into the second.

We have no spirit.
You missed the better bits. The first half was dreadful, especially the 2nd quarter.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #69
I think there is at times great confusion as to who our guys should be picking up due to preoccupation with guarding their individual allotted section of grass. Jones is a another prime example of this phenomenon - torn between two different objectives - guard your turf or attack the man with the ball. This imo is resulting in player confusion and our defence being all at sea, including creating mismatches. Combine that with turnovers in midfield and forward zones and pow! Disaster. Whether we can overcome this remains to be seen.

x2.

Your Jones description is spot on - was at last nights game and he looked confused when deciding between sticking on his man or leaving to attack a ball he thinks he can kill. I like his desire and efforts but those decisions cost us more goals then it saved last night unfortunately.

Its bloody hard to watch as our back 6 was one strength from the Bolton era and in a flash it seems to have turned to a shambles by what the club says is us trying to be more offensive and we need to get the balance right. Seems like poor coaching if in an attempt to score more you then lose your one strength.

Or is it simply a case of losing Doc which has hurt us more then we imagined?

Reply #70
only started watching very end of Q1, turned it off ten minutes into the second.

We have no spirit.

Fly, You were the one poster that was the most optimistic after how we would go this year.

Yet you seemed to have thrown in the towel after 2 and 1/2 rounds? 

I liked your optimism and hope.....I'm hoping you of all posters wont give up on us just yet mate!

Reply #71

In a nutshell.
This is the first rebuild in my lifetime and I got my first membership in 1964.
It's hard work but in these days of drafts, salary caps and free agency it's the only way, the great tragedy is that it took us 15 years to catch on.
The negligence, infighting and general incompetence at the club until recently means that it will be more difficult than it should have been, but like it or not there is simply no alternative.
We've finally put the foundations in place, but it won't happen in two, three or even four years.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #72
@Shawny

Yes and of course our zone defence approach also allows the opposition to pretty much control the match-ups, as we also saw last night.

Reply #73
I couldn't blame the back line at all for last night, Collingwood were sweeping the ball down the ground under no pressure.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #74
Last night was very disappointing. Our use of the ball was probably a bit better than last week (coming off a very low base there), but that seemed to be mainly because we went back to choosing safer options, short sideways chip kicks etc. There were a number of tinmes where we could have gone to Casboult or C Curnow 1 on 1 deep, and chose to chip sideways instead. But the worst aspect of last night was our work rate. At the game it was very obvious that they worked harder than us without the ball, we either couldn't or wouldn't match their spread from the contests, which was particularly evident after a forward 50 turnover. This is simply players not working hard enough. Finally, our tackling must be clearly the worst in the league. Our tackling numers are way down on other teams, and we seem to miss so many tackles by just hanging an arm out and getting brushed aside. I'd like to see some guys throwing their shoulders into some tackles and making the opposition pay when they get the ball. We may be young and low on talent, but it doesn't take talent to chase as hard as you can, run hard off the ball, and be manic in your attempt to tackle. This is what disappointed me the most last night