Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 19623 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs Brisbane

Brisbane are playing well in Perth at the moment, while we have traveled poorly this year. They have pounded us in Brisbane in recent times. We will get Daisy back, maybe one or two others. We also have questions over Casboult and a number of others that are really under-performing at this point in time.
We are not on TV again, so I probably won't see any of the game. That irritates me. But ...
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #1
Brisbane are 41 points ahead of Freo in Perth at three quarter time and St Kilda have beaten Melbourne today,.
The only thing in our favour is Brisbane's long road trip but the home ground should more than make up for that.
It's looking like a loss next weekend will mean another wooden spoon, which at least confirms pick one but it's bad for the club when we need new members.
We have to roll the dice with McKay surely, I really don't want to finish last again.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #2
Brisbane are 41 points ahead of Freo in Perth at three quarter time and St Kilda have beaten Melbourne today,.
The only thing in our favour is Brisbane's long road trip but the home ground should more than make up for that.
It's looking like a loss next weekend will mean another wooden spoon, which at least confirms pick one but it's bad for the club when we need new members.
We have to roll the dice with McKay surely, I really don't want to finish last again.

Yep sadly true. Any loss other then a very close one will see the media rip into us.

Our rebuild gets compared to theres so important to put in a respectable effort.

A first half like the dockers would be a disaster.

Reply #3
We are dead last and we deserve to be dead last.

Our rebuild has been a little more dramatic than Brisbane's, but they have been doing it for longer.  Hipwood is a gun and is almost as promising as Charlie Curnow.

If we hadn't jagged cripps and brought in Docherty they'd actually be ahead of us
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
Hipwood is a gun and is almost as promising as Charlie Curnow.

Let's get him then. Charlie can then play midfield.

Reply #5
Mullet and Casboult out.   Daisy and McKay in.   Better already.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #6
No Kreuzer ProfE? :o

I think it will be Kreuzer and Kerr in.

I do not expect Casboult to be dropped.

I think SoJ or Weitering will be an out.

Mullett might be out for Lang or Byrne.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
I don't think he'll be fit.   Mullet just has to go.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #8
I don't think he'll be fit.   Mullet just has to go.

They should have sent SpecialK up north to soak up the sun for a week or so before the others arrive. Kreuzer comes back from injury motivated enough, his best games usually happen after an injury lay-off, we don't have to run him into the ground under rehabilitation! ;)

I think you are correct about Mullett, he is surviving like a limpet sucked onto our kids, when we really need someone who stands up and leads the way!

Not sure McKay's last VFL game warrants a return, my mates at the VFL ground tell me McKay is still playing the KPF role like he's a medium/small forward. Another problem I believe the rumor is Kerr has again pulled up a little sore after last weekend and might be out again, so for that reason I think Casboult survives.

But I'd seriously love to see what an inform Kerr or McKay could do when they get to be 2nd fiddle to an in form Charlie Curnow! For that matter I'd love to see Rowe, Jones or Weitering be 2nd Fiddle to Charlie Curnow! Let's face it, Charlie has got the heat now regardless, nobody else we offer up will be taken seriously!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
They should have sent SpecialK up north to soak up the sun for a week or so before the others arrive. Kreuzer comes back from injury motivated enough, his best games usually happen after an injury lay-off, we don't have to run him into the ground under rehabilitation! ;)

I think you are correct about Mullett, he is surviving like a limpet sucked onto our kids, when we really need someone who stands up and leads the way!

Not sure McKay's last VFL game warrants a return, my mates at the VFL ground tell me McKay is still playing the KPF role like he's a medium/small forward. Another problem I believe the rumor is Kerr has again pulled up a little sore after last weekend and might be out again, so for that reason I think Casboult survives.

But I'd seriously love to see what an inform Kerr or McKay could do when they get to be 2nd fiddle to an in form Charlie Curnow! For that matter I'd love to see Rowe, Jones or Weitering be 2nd Fiddle to Charlie Curnow! Let's face it, Charlie has got the heat now regardless, nobody else we offer up will be taken seriously!

McKay's averaging 2 goals a game, don't care how he gets them. Was in the best players last week and took 8 marks. Playing like a medium forward at times doesn't worry me, that's the game these days anyway. Charlie can take the contested stuff as he's running hot. If McKay's going to play like that he better be prepared to run alot like Buddy does as getting touches in general play then becomes important. Levi's just hasn't come back well after his injury break and might need to get his touch back in the NB's. If you wanted to go further left field it mightn't be a bad game for De Konning to debut.

Reply #10
I have been watching Liam Jones recently, and, thinking to myself; how can this guy not play forward?

Could he not play as a backman in the forward zone? What does he do now, he reads the ball, backs himself, and, zones off to contest.

Perhaps, an option for Liam, may be that he is instructed to play forward, and, stop his man marking it.  If he contests the way he does down back, the smaller crumbing players may come into their own; Jones may also take a few marks, and, start to believe he can play forward.

Brisbane may present the ideal opportunity to trial this.

Reply #11
McKay's averaging 2 goals a game, don't care how he gets them.

No team wants 200cm types competing with their own smalls for the ground ball or for Joe-the-Goose goals, they want the 200cm types creating those opportunities for the smalls.

McKay playing small will kick goals, but he will kick them instead of our smalls not as well as them, that won't get us to many winning scores! ;)

Kerr looks 1000% better at this point of time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
I have been watching Liam Jones recently, and, thinking to myself; how can this guy not play forward?

Could he not play as a backman in the forward zone? What does he do now, he reads the ball, backs himself, and, zones off to contest.

Yep, it seems everybody can see this except our MC.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13

Perhaps, an option for Liam, may be that he is instructed to play forward, and, stop his man marking it.  If he contests the way he does down back, the smaller crumbing players may come into their own; Jones may also take a few marks, and, start to believe he can play forward.

Brisbane may present the ideal opportunity to trial this.

I'm really surprised we haven't tried it.
I think it would work extra well.
It would be chaos balls all over the place for our small forwards to work with.

I guessing we haven't done it because we may be a bit gun-shy given that he didn't succeed there before.
But the last games of this season give us some great opportunities for experimentation without consequence.

Reply #14
No team wants 200cm types competing with their own smalls for the ground ball or for Joe-the-Goose goals, they want the 200cm types creating those opportunities for the smalls.

McKay playing small will kick goals, but he will kick them instead of our smalls not as well as them, that won't get us to many winning scores! ;)

Kerr looks 1000% better at this point of time.
They won't be competing. I'll take anyone that hits the scoreboard, especially now.

Think you'll find he's not too bad in the contested situation. Don't see too many Joe the Goose type goals.

Hasn't been bad at crashing packs in the VFL in the past. Sometimes things come with confidence. Can't do too much better than average two goals a games in you're early career AFL games.