Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 22: Post Game Intelligent Discussion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 13913 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 22: Post Game Intelligent Discussion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #15
Indeed. That was where we lost the game. We were flogged at the clearances.
Given we pretty much broke even on the hitouts, it was all on the midfield for today's loss.

Even though we have few options down back due to injuries, sometimes I wonder if we need to move daisy into the midfield to have another experienced head in there. Especially when Murphy has a day off like today.

Reply #16
Murph had a shocker and I hardly noticed Lang after qtr time.

I don't think that Charlie had a good game - tried, but nowhere near his best.

Reply #17
Not enough of a contribution from too many again. Simmo was brilliant today. Our defence stood up well. But our midfield were thrashed.
Lobbe tried hard and got his hand on the ball more than a bit, but we don't get many taps to advantage and we don't get centre breaks. On thing for the new pre-season: work on our centre square work. If we get a few centre breaks, the forwards would have a reasonable chance. We HAVE the tall forwards: now we need a system to get it to them (leading sometimes would help). We need fast small forwards who can crumb a goal.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
I don't think that Charlie had a good game - tried, but nowhere near his best.
Didn't have a lot to work with and still kicked 2 goals.

Reply #19
Hmmm auto correct on my iPhone changes Polson to poison...

Reply #20
Hmmm auto correct on my iPhone changes Polson to poison...

Thought the work experience kid used the ball more by hand today and his disposal was better but not too sure on how his tagging job went...saw him on JJ and Hunter at different times
and they were two of the Bulldogs better players ..

Reply #21
Didn't record a tackle in the stats, which given he is OK at that facet of the game is surprising.

Jack S.  Needs to find a role and some athleticism rapidly.   Being a one paced,  plodding utility.... Which translates as slow player of average ability who can't lock down a place in the 22.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22
Didn't record a tackle in the stats, which given he is OK at that facet of the game is surprising.

Jack S.  Needs to find a role and some athleticism rapidly.   Being a one paced,  plodding utility.... Which translates as slow player of average ability who can't lock down a place in the 22.

Jack took a nice mark and kicked a goal but didnt do much else, is very slow and the Dogs run a very mobile midfield which probably
didnt suit him. His future may depend on the quality of players we can bring in, he is handy at times and gives a contest but his lack of pace
hurts him and will struggle to get senior games IMO unless he can get quicker...

Reply #25
Agree...short memory Bevo, they were the GF winners a couple of years ago.....

Yes, the AFL should really clamp down hard on players coaches etc. trying to sway opinion so blatantly and shamelessly. Very poor form trying to say that we're not that bad because we're nearly beat your crap truck team, therefore we should only get a PP at the end of the 1st round. No honour among thieves.

Compare to Bolton's response on this question, who is probably too honourable for his own good.

Reply #26
Agree...short memory Bevo, they were the GF winners a couple of years ago.....

Diversion on his part from the reality of how far they've slipped.
Flags are great but....
Hopefully our rebuild isn't a "one hit" wonder
I'd much prefer a Swans like result with a decade+ of finals games

Reply #27
Weight of midfield numbers beat us in the end, with the benefit of hindsight Kerridge might have given us that extra strong body which we lacked.
Our back six was good considering the pressure they were under, Simpson in particular was superb and Byrne is very impressive for so few games, with Docherty, Plowman and Jones available next year our defence is looking very solid.
Kennedy and Fisher, and maybe Cunningham eventually, will bolster our midfield but we'll need to draft another one, and beg, buy or borrow a small forward or two.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #28
Diversion on his part from the reality of how far they've slipped.
Flags are great but....
Hopefully our rebuild isn't a "one hit" wonder
I'd much prefer a Swans like result with a decade+ of finals games

If worst comes to the worst I'll happily take that "one hit wonder" though.

The Dogs did come from 7th so they weren't that good. Just played a great September.

Reply #29
Within those 3 years we have had the biggest turn over of players know to man, a shocking run with injuries that has meant that ‘fillers’ have had  to be more permanent and structurally we have had no continuity all year.  More composure in the middle (l.e a couple of decent ballusers to help Cripps), more understanding between McKay and Curnow and throw in De Koning (they have played 1 game together!!) and some solidification in the back line will hopefully make a power of difference.