Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 22: Post Game Intelligent Discussion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 13918 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 22: Post Game Intelligent Discussion: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #60
Is it just me or does others notice that Obrien is tracking along nicely and considering the midfield he has found himself in, he has delivered a very decent first year. Dow gets the credit but this kid is tracking very well in Dows shadow.

I know he has a long way to go but he hits a target by foot as good as any of our kids, in fact Im more comfortable with the ball in this kids hand then many of our senior guys.

Plus his fitness is amazing for a first year player. The kid runs and runs and is one of the few that finds space late in games.

He doesn't have the tricks of Dow but im confident this kid will make it.

I'm a LoB fan. In respect of both Dow and LoB, when you consider :

a. their age
b. first season in AFL and number of games played
c. our win / loss and ladder position
d. the calibre of their team mates (except Cripps) isn't great
e. their opposition, which as far as mids go, are frequently better/ older / stronger / surrounded by better players...

the fact that both of them have shown even occasional good form is nothing short of amazing.

Reply #61
Is it just me or does others notice that Obrien is tracking along nicely and considering the midfield he has found himself in, he has delivered a very decent first year. Dow gets the credit but this kid is tracking very well in Dows shadow.

I know he has a long way to go but he does the critical skill of hitting a target as good as any of our kids.

Plus his fitness is amazing for a first year player. The kid runs and runs and is one of the few that finds space late in games.

I guess I'm the opposite with Obrien...I dont see anything great at all that would tell me he is a lock to make it as a senior player or was worth pick 10, his kicking for the most part has been average and his decision making and attack on the ball are inconsistent IMO. On his day he is a good kick but too many times I have seen him turn it over too. I much prefer Dow who attacks the ball well, has pace and while his kicking too can be indifferent with him its more about being over zealous than picking the wrong target.
IMO OBrien is no better than say a player like Worpel who Hawthorn recruited at pick 45, in fact I'd rather have Worpel at this stage.....

Reply #62

I know he has a long way to go but he hits a target by foot as good as any of our kids, in fact Im more comfortable with the ball in this kids hand then many of our senior guys.

Spot on Shawny. And whilst its been a long season for the young blokes, you cant question OB's effort and endeavours. I cant remember the game but it was early in the season but OB coughed up the footy and a TO occurred. He got on his bike and ran nearly the length of the field to make the tackle to stop the goal. He certainly is a fit bugger with bloody good endurance that for sure. And he will only get better, I see us ending up with our own version of Tom Scully (endurance beast).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #63

I agree.  He's kicked the odd clanger, but I'm putting that down to being a skinny newbie.  He has a very nice pass on him.  Importantly it is a nice fluent action and he can kick darts or long.  He's already a top class runner, but he'll get even fitter, he's only had 1 preseason!  And once he gets more game sense and the players gell with each other, he'll be used more to advantage.  He sure ain't a contested beast, but he has good pace, excellent endurance, a nice kick, and knows how to find space, and then deliver upfield to advantage.  He ticks a lot of boxes.  We need outside runners who can run to space and deliver to our forwards.  SOS spent pick 10 on him for a reason. We'll see in about 3-5 years if he was right.

Reply #64
I guess I'm the opposite with Obrien...I dont see anything great at all that would tell me he is a lock to make it as a senior player or was worth pick 10, his kicking for the most part has been average and his decision making and attack on the ball are inconsistent IMO. On his day he is a good kick but too many times I have seen him turn it over too. I much prefer Dow who attacks the ball well, has pace and while his kicking too can be indifferent with him its more about being over zealous than picking the wrong target.
IMO OBrien is no better than say a player like Worpel who Hawthorn recruited at pick 45, in fact I'd rather have Worpel at this stage.....

We will find that out more in the next few years. Showing more each game.

Reply #65
It's interesting to debate our scorched earth list tactic, did / does it accelerate or retard development of the youth!

To me it's not clear but we've no option, we must play them even if we break a few, our club cannot have it's cake and eat it!

I worry though, will they have ever achieved their true peak after this scorched earth tactic is done with them, or will they just become stepping stones(bodies in the trench) for the next generation of players?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66

For a kid thrown in at the deep end and not given the opportunity to learn and hone his craft in the Magoos, I reckon he's improved as the year has progressed and no doubt learned a lot from some of the cats he's played on. There have been sufficient glimpses from him to indicate a great attitude, endeavour and attack on the aggot. The kid can run all day and I'm in the optimistic camp with this young fella.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17