Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parley-2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide:  (Read 17506 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parley-2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide:

Reply #105
Weiters has improved significantly I think and Westhoff is not getting any younger.

Westhoff didnt move around enough and the delivery in the wet wasnt great...he isnt a strong overhead mark and I thought JW played him very well
and blocked his run, most of his possies were further up the ground than near the goals and ineffective. Weitering was safe with his intercept marking and didnt panic using it either.
I think Port missed Dixon too who is a bit of rogue animal running into opposing players which made life easier....

Reply #106
For mine:

OUT:     C. Curnow, Fasolo, Garlett
IN:        Kreuzer, Kennedy, Silvagni

Play both Kreuzer and Phillips and leave McKay as a permanent forward. Gibbons and Polson split the small forward role and let Fasolo find some form in the VFL. Feel like a broken record but Garlett is not a defender.

Weitering and SPS look to have really stepped up a bit this year and Walsh is probably in the best half dozen players in our team already.

Silvagni has had good form in the VFL and deserves another crack at it. Sydney are gettable this week but if we leave too much to too few again, the result will be the same.

Reply #107
For mine:

Play both Kreuzer and Phillips and leave McKay as a permanent forward. Gibbons and Polson split the small forward role and let Fasolo find some form in the VFL. Feel like a broken record but Garlett is not a defender.

Weitering and SPS look to have really stepped up a bit this year and Walsh is probably in the best half dozen players in our team already.

Silvagni has had good form in the VFL and deserves another crack at it. Sydney are gettable this week but if we leave too much to too few again, the result will be the same.
I like the idea of playing 2 proper ruckman, seems to be the way to go. The 2 Port Rucks really worked Phillips over, when H went in he was out rucked convincingly. Not to mention we were down a Fwd when he rucked.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #108
Weiters has improved significantly I think and Westhoff is not getting any younger.

He only kicked the 5 in R1.

Reply #109
Was anyone else surprised by how effective Weiters was against Westhoff?

For me Westhoff wouldn't have been a good match-up for us, he's quite mobile, fast for his size, and a highly aerobic player yet Weiters really seemed to stitch him up.

It will be interesting to see if any fans there on the day have some insight in to how this panned out!

I thought Weiters was our best on the weekend. Kept a pretty good opponent completely out of the game and was able to positively impact pretty well.

Progress as a player looking to be getting back on track which is brilliant news.

Reply #110
He only kicked the 5 in R1.

Couldn't do it again though!  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #111
For mine:

Charlie curnow is in the top 5 for km's run every week. You'd be hard pressed to bring in a ruck to emulate what he does, even if it is Kreuzer (who is still unfit).

I think your changes make us incredibly slow.
OUT: 3 fast, agile players.
IN: 3 slow, relatively immobile players.

If we were to bring in Kreuzer (or casboult - please no) then i think McKay would need to play the Curnow role, basically CHF. Leave the resting ruck in the goal square.

Fas needs to go. Who to replace him?
Kennedy into the middle, Murphy forward?? Still makes us slower, but bigger bodies in the midfield will help against the swans.

I'd keep Garlett as he looks to be improving in the backline and getting his head around it. Offers sheer pace and skill that we lack in the side.

It won't happen, but i'd drop Ed and potentially bring in Jack.
Jack is a better forward, and can pinch hit in the middle.

Apparantly Marchbank isn't far away, We could use him.

Not an easy week to pick a side

Reply #112
Charlie Curnow out for 2-3 weeks so he's a given. Sydney aren't overly quick either.....Garlett does absolutely nothing, regardless of how quick he is. Fasolo has done very little in his two games. Not sure Kennedy and Silvagni have done much wrong in the pre-season games and deserve a chance for mine.

Reply #113
Fasolo improved in his second hitout.

Hes still not giving good output, but its an improvement.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/A/Alex_Fasolo.html

Brief overview.  Against the Tigers.  5 disposals, 1 goal 1 tackle.

Against Port.  10 disposals. 1 Goal 5 tackles.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #114
Fasolo improved in his second hitout.

I appreciate that.

But fans crucified Poulson who was basically twice as effective with only 1/10th of the experience!

It's hard to rationalise such a diverse stance, it seems a bit having some cake and eating it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #115
On a positive note, I noticed this when looking at the Sen site:

BEST
Port Adelaide: Rockliff, Lycett, Motlop, Ebert, Boak, Byrne-Jones, Rozee
Carlton: Cripps, Weitering, McKay, Dow, Petrevski-Seton, Murphy

When you look at that, the top seven (best for Port Adelaide) were mostly older players, they had five out of seven in that bracket. We had one out of six.

Reply #116

BEST

When you look at that, the top seven (best for Port Adelaide) were mostly older players, they had five out of seven in that bracket. We had one out of six.

Cut it out Spf, there'll be none of that sensible analysis or lifting the standards going on around here!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #117
Cut it out Spf, there'll be none of that sensible analysis or lifting the standards going on around here!

hahaha yes to true! If you want a reality check, go have a look at what's going on at BomberBlitz, it will definitely cheer up your day.

Reply #118
I appreciate that.

But fans crucified Poulson who was basically twice as effective with only 1/10th of the experience!

It's hard to rationalise such a diverse stance, it seems a bit having some cake and eating it!

Polson should have been playing in his place in round 1.  Now he is in he stays in.  Fasolo is surving on the basis that there isnt much else to put in the team for that role, but that wont last too much longer (I still think Jack Silvagni is ahead of him at this stage but he is capable of similar performances using recent history).

BEST

If Murphy was one of the best on field, I am gobsmacked.

He was a bit of a turnover merchant and wasn't exactly winning it at the coal face.  In fact, if he was cleaner with the ball, we might have won and was possibly the difference between winning and losing.

It was the worst 26 posession I have seen from a supposed top liner.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #119
It was the worst 26 posession I have seen from a supposed top liner.

Ed Curnow got in the bests the week before with 25 or 26 possessions too.

Sometimes you wonder who chooses the bests and what motivations they have.