Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 112777 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #525
Provoking NATO to the point that emphasises the solidarity amongst all members to unify against Russia should really worry Putin.  If he can't even defeat Ukraine, and loses 5 generals, thousands of men and armaments in the process, he stands no chance.   Sum of all fears.

Reply #526
I understand that people are saying this is Russia vs NATO, but lets face up to something here.

Almost all of the wars in the last 100 years that have been fought, are the result of historic rise and fall of empires, problems to do with modern concepts of ownership and nationalism including national identify, and largely resources and land just like they always have been.

The USA's sphere of influence has been eroding for quite some time, and this is linked (not exclusively) to British Imperialism, the fall of Roman empire, Geopolitics, the fall of the Ottoman empire, modern nationalism creating issues, political ideological agenda, and for the most part, bloody mindedness.

The victims of all wars ever fought are innocent people who are involved whether they like it or not, and I think its over simplifying things to place 100% of the blame on one person, and more specifically one nation here.

The former USSR were a "united nation" and far longer than any unique national identity that exists currently in Ukraine, and considering Hitler elected to march on it, before he marched on Moscow, speaks for the importance of its locale for both resources, and tactical advantages.

Whilst I disagree with the very premise of going to war, because violence should be used exclusively for defense, not offense, its very difficult to know the full impact of all of these actions.

One thing I like to do is, view the conflicts that we have witnessed over the last 50 or so years and choose not to view them in isolation.  They are simply the continuation of historic conflicts that have occurred throughout human history.

Humanity has struggled over much of this region for thousands of years, because they do have strategic importance.  The populations of these places have been invaded, and reinvaded many times through history and in our modern viewpoint, we have understood a largely peaceful existence with humanity prospering in ways that previous generations could only dream of.

The real PROBLEM is global.  That era of prosperity we can see crumbling almost across the globe and COVID was but one sign of a new threat to our lives.  Resources are going to start becoming problematic, and as a result, we are going to see new wars fought over old territory more frequently.  The sooner the world appreciates this, (I am not saying don't fight on Ukraine's behalf here) the better off we will all be.

Without wanting to point out fault for any one person or nation here, in 1974 the Island of Cyprus was invaded by Turkey to the point where the Island nation now has a split and demilitarised zone through it.  In Israel the 6 day war was waged and the neighbours were defeated, the Korean war, The Vietnam war, the split of the former Yugoslav republic, the Bosnian Crisis, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, and yet all of a sudden I see a very different messaging surrounding this particular one, and the only reason I can see is that the aggressor in this case, is a different actor.

Anyone have any any reason why this is any different to the other issues we have witnessed through history?  Once upon a time, the war was divided along communist/capitalist lines.  This feels a bit different.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #527
Then there's the colonisation by stealth strategy.   The poms get panned for their history, but what agreement the Solomons have signed with China will end in tears too.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #528
Then there's the colonisation by stealth strategy.  The poms get panned for their history, but what agreement the Solomons have signed with China will end in tears too.
Unfortunately, the people of The Solomon Islands are probably ignorant of this event, it's happening because of corrupt politicians and China knows it. China does not care about the perceptions of the people, and the bulk of Solomon Islanders might not even know a deal has been done until they are kicked off their own land to build a factory, air or naval base!

It's all part of Belt and Road, and unlike here very few local Solomon Islanders will take notice. Strategically, both our State and Federal level our politicians were asleep at the wheel, if no deliberately complicit, many were happy to point the finger after they had the cheques in the bank!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #529
I understand that people are saying this is Russia vs NATO, but lets face up to something here.

Almost all of the wars in the last 100 years that have been fought, are the result of historic rise and fall of empires, problems to do with modern concepts of ownership and nationalism including national identify, and largely resources and land just like they always have been.

The USA's sphere of influence has been eroding for quite some time, and this is linked (not exclusively) to British Imperialism, the fall of Roman empire, Geopolitics, the fall of the Ottoman empire, modern nationalism creating issues, political ideological agenda, and for the most part, bloody mindedness.

The victims of all wars ever fought are innocent people who are involved whether they like it or not, and I think its over simplifying things to place 100% of the blame on one person, and more specifically one nation here.

The former USSR were a "united nation" and far longer than any unique national identity that exists currently in Ukraine, and considering Hitler elected to march on it, before he marched on Moscow, speaks for the importance of its locale for both resources, and tactical advantages.

Whilst I disagree with the very premise of going to war, because violence should be used exclusively for defense, not offense, its very difficult to know the full impact of all of these actions.

One thing I like to do is, view the conflicts that we have witnessed over the last 50 or so years and choose not to view them in isolation.  They are simply the continuation of historic conflicts that have occurred throughout human history.

Humanity has struggled over much of this region for thousands of years, because they do have strategic importance.  The populations of these places have been invaded, and reinvaded many times through history and in our modern viewpoint, we have understood a largely peaceful existence with humanity prospering in ways that previous generations could only dream of.

The real PROBLEM is global.  That era of prosperity we can see crumbling almost across the globe and COVID was but one sign of a new threat to our lives.  Resources are going to start becoming problematic, and as a result, we are going to see new wars fought over old territory more frequently.  The sooner the world appreciates this, (I am not saying don't fight on Ukraine's behalf here) the better off we will all be.

Without wanting to point out fault for any one person or nation here, in 1974 the Island of Cyprus was invaded by Turkey to the point where the Island nation now has a split and demilitarised zone through it.  In Israel the 6 day war was waged and the neighbours were defeated, the Korean war, The Vietnam war, the split of the former Yugoslav republic, the Bosnian Crisis, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, and yet all of a sudden I see a very different messaging surrounding this particular one, and the only reason I can see is that the aggressor in this case, is a different actor.

Anyone have any any reason why this is any different to the other issues we have witnessed through history?  Once upon a time, the war was divided along communist/capitalist lines.  This feels a bit different.
Or, Putin is just a c@#$ of a human.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #531
Too kind @Gointocarlton ...

Just calling a spade a spade. Sick of animals like that bloke and the DH from China taking the pi$$ thinking we are all dumb kents.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #532
Putin dies and finds himself in the afterlife.  Ten years passes and he is given the opportunity to spend a day back with the living in Moscow.

Putin approaches the first person he sees and asks, “Is Kyiv still ours?”

“Yes.”

“Good!  Is Crimea still ours?”

“Yes.”

“Excellent!  How much is a cup of coffee?”

“Five euros.”

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #533
Well, we know how pi55 weak the UN are, but NATOs a bloody sight different.

Reply #534
Not disputing that putin is a douche but find me a politician that isn't.

This video sums things up better than anything else. Find Ukraine on the map and you'll understand why this is happening.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QwsVJb-ckqM

Paul Hewson

Reply #535
Thry...Are you saying that if a country didn't exist in 1914 it shouldn't  exist now?

Reply #536
Thry...Are you saying that if a country didn't exist in 1914 it shouldn't  exist now?

Not at all Lods.

Im saying that the world has been in a state of flux for a long time, wars have been happening for a long time, and over simplifying the cause of this one being putin being a @#$!* is not doing anyone any favours.

At the end of the day people like to barrack for good guys vs bad guys, but when these events happen it should be a sombre reminder that we have lead a privleged existence and that this is human nature on show.

Nations have been invading each other for thousands of years and as far as im concerned of all the stoushes we have seen in my lifetime this one is closer to civil war/traditional war than most of the rest where nations have involved themselves in other countries business half way across the globe.

You have to admit whether the USA hit Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Libya rightly or wrongly, that wasn't exactly protecting their own interests.  In this case the Russians are definitely looking after their own interests and they actually have people in Ukraine.

The fact that I call them Ukraine not the Ukraine is a testament to my opinion here because that is a subtle difference that actually recognises their sovereignty.

Paul Hewson

Reply #537
Its just what has and will continue to occur whether folks like it or not.  Even today there are people still campaigning for their sovereignty in amongst all these nations and one of the major difficulties that the global communities face is when you draw a line on a map indicating a border, on each side of that border there are going to be people who are unhappy because their opinion of that border is different to what exists.  Ukraine is a nation forged under the interests of non russians and its a testament to how well propaganda works to see people continually bag Russia for simply trying to look after itself.

Would any other nation in the world act differently if they felt they needed to??  No, they wouldn't.

Oh and when you see a state created somewhere, unless it is strong enough to defend itself if it is of any geopolitical importance expect that one of the neighbors will try swallow it eventually and the only reason to break one off another is to allow one of the "other strong nations" an opportunity to carve up another.

Paul Hewson

Reply #538
Oh and watch the rest of the videos about war on a map.  You quickly detect a recurring them about the nations who are the aggressors and where the bulk of fighting occurs.

Paul Hewson

Reply #539
Putin is definitely on the wrong side of history.  The world will judge him accordingly.