Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2022 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 2295 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2022 Rd 4: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #15
Same page, Spotted one.

At the risk of sounding like a smarty pants -- again -- this was my point from the get-go. Expecting the gals to play under exactly the same rules/ground sizes as the fellas was short-sighted and, well, silly. Even tennis acknowledges the physical differences (3 sets v 5 sets).

Grounds should be smaller and physicality reduced to give the gals more time to execute the skills of the game. And as for the rapid expansion when the talent pool was already shallow, well that was ill-conceived as mentioned by plenty a while ago.

I'm not as pessimistic as some. I think that with meaningful modifications to allow more ease of flow, the gals game can grow and flourish and become a better spectacle.

Playing the game in the heat of summer is ridiculous... the idea that it can serve as a kind of pre season comp to the blokes is, again, silly. Far better later in the year when the weather is more favourable - our blokes play in the cooler months for a reason... FFS. (Oct/Nov and finishing in Dec would be better).

And expecting the gals to put on a quality product when they are so poorly remunerated - and hence unable to give their sport suitable time and commitment to refine skills, is mind boggling.

There's alot right about this post.

If you are going to enjoy the product more the game needs to make allowances for the different physiology.

The rope in in way more for the women cricketers too.

Reply #16
@Baggers‍ Do you think this exposes a potential lack of commitment by the AFL Big House?

I fear they are doing what is expected of them, not what they want, but even that comes with a remote chance of bringing in big dollars.

Sorry for my cynicism!

Over many years the game will get bigger and bigger. As that happens, more money comes in, players can become closer to full time players and everything builds from there. Along way off still of course but that's how alot of sports develop.

Reply #17
@Baggers‍ Do you think this exposes a potential lack of commitment by the AFL Big House?

I fear they are doing what is expected of them, not what they want, but even that comes with a remote chance of bringing in big dollars.

Sorry for my cynicism!

I don't think you are at all being cynical. Or maybe we both are!

You mentioned a lack of commitment - I couldn't put it more precisely.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #18
The ground is also too large for this comp. When the average womens  player has a maximum distance of 30-35 metres the length of the ground should be reflective of this imo.

Shortening the ground will mean more scoring and less possessions per goal which until their skills improve is another plus.

Reply #19
The ground is also too large for this comp. When the average womens  player has a maximum distance of 30-35 metres the length of the ground should be reflective of this imo.

Shortening the ground will mean more scoring and less possessions per goal which until their skills improve is another plus.

There is logic in what you say but the competition is already being strangled by overly defensive coaching so a reduction in ground size is likely to lead to more congestion and a negative impact on the skills of the game.

Reply #20
There is logic in what you say but the competition is already being strangled by overly defensive coaching so a reduction in ground size is likely to lead to more congestion and a negative impact on the skills of the game.
Yes, the adoption of AFL coaching tactics has had a significant impact and faster change than expected. It's easier to get unskilled players acting defensively using negative tactics than it is to upskill them to win an attacking pro-active game style.

But it's not just the coaches fault, it's a scenario created by the Big House, too much inbreeding!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
I know people like to moan about the tactical aspects of sports, but unilaterally the law of defense wins championships seems to apply.

It is easier to stop your opponent as a unit, because it relies less on individual brilliance and more on cohesion.  The old Phalanx approach to defending where each person works with those next to them to both defend and attack.

Cohesion is easier to build in a team, than individual skills, and injuries don't tend to ruin it, which is where you get your one out, one in scenarios because people who come in, know whats expected of them and how to act and react accordingly in game situations.

Almost all teams suffer when too much talent is missing from a particular team, but most of them are capable of covering the absence of one or two star players happily enough without compromising the team ethos, and style in a truly team oriented approach.

Moving back to AFL for a moment, this is where line breaking players on the offensive are a godsend.  There are only three ways to penetrate a cohesive defense.

1.  The ability to break lines through individual speed.
2.  The ability to move the ball swiftly hitting difficult targets.
3.  Selfless players need to move in a way that breaks the opponents lines artificially without relying on individual skills and creates opportunities for others to exploit.  The old, make a defender make a decision, will buy time usually which is where we will miss Liam Jones coming over to help (or at times hinder) a teamate.

The 3rd of these, are once again the easiest to teach a relatively also ran, provided that they have the requisite athletic attributes.

This scenario is not unique to the girls, and there is a reason why you see the tactics coming into the womens game and it has nothing to do with ability or capability.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson