Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2022 - R3 vs Dogs (maybe? - NOPE) Now vs Brisbane @ Metricon on Tuesday! (Read 2308 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2022 - R3 vs Dogs (maybe? - NOPE) Now vs Brisbane @ Metricon on Tuesday!

Reply #15
It felt like the lions had a cohesive gameplan and we didn’t, especially kicking into the forward 50.
Farquhar looked sensational and the commentators attempts at referring to Darcy were comical… as much as I encourage people to have sex with people who they find attractive, whoever they may be, I think that if you play a sport it’s reasonable for the commentators to refer to you as being a similar entity to the others on the field, in tonight’s case a person of a womanly gender.
Harfs got some gameplan work to do regardless.
Let’s go BIG !

Re: AFLW 2022 - R3 vs Dogs (maybe? - NOPE) Now vs Brisbane @ Metricon on Tuesday!

Reply #16
Well disappointing result, albeit not unexpected.

We were behind the 8-ball when the teams were announced and then losing 2 earlier today just about finished us off before a ball was bounced.

Still should've performed better than that though.

Debutants....
Vickers....looks like a footballer, but still needs a bit of work.
Sherar...had the least number of possessions of a carlton player and it highlighted how many players we had unavailable. IMO not quite ready for AFLW yet.

Same contributors at the pointy end with Kez, Prespakis and Moody carrying the team.

Not enough from senior players....O'Dea, Dal Pos (looks past it), Stevens....and Vescio.

With a bit of luck, and the short week, we should get a variety of changes for our next match.

IN: Wilson, Pound, Good......Hill??....Schaap??
OUT:  Sherar, Lee, D. Walker....Trudgeon?.....??
It looks like it is going to be a very long years for the Blue girls. :( Most of the problems we had last year appear to have returned, only magnified.
[1] Our forward structure isn't there. It was bad enough last year. There isn't a key forward to kick the ball towards.
[2] Our ruck division is Moody. Jess Good looks a reasonable pick-up, but with her out yesterday, there was nobody else. If Moody doesn't dominate the ruck, we don't get the ball.
[3] We can't get anything close to our best line-up on the park. Last year we were crippled by injuries, but this time we have no depth to cover our losses.
[4] Our bigger name players are not standing up.
[5] Our recruiting is looking pretty ordinary. We've lost a number of real competitors, only to replace them with girls who are a long way off, or past it.
[6] The decision to part ways with our 2 veterans at the end of last year appears to be justified, as neither lass is making an impression at their new club. That is a relative positive.
[7] There doesn't seem to be the spark in the coaching box at the moment. Our game plan doesn't suit the cattle we have.

Not sure what we can do about things either, but we do have some senior players who are really underperforming.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
Our game plan doesn't suit the cattle we have.

Not sure what we can do about things either, but we do have some senior players who are really underperforming.
Half was asked a question about that what changes we could've made or are expected to make.
His answer expressed what we all knew.....there wasn't really a lot i could do about that, thats what we had available.

With only have 30 girls on your list, and 21 needed to be picked each week and usually a few injuries to go along with that.......THEN add in the covid stuff and you are basically seeing clubs breaking. Thats why there have been 4 games cancelled. Teams can't field a side.

With that in mind, had we had another out or 2, perhaps we wouldn't have been able to field a side either.
Thus, gameplans and underperforming players are somewhat of an afterthought unfortunately.

I can see why the AFLW is expanding to 18 sides in order to 'keep up with the jones' but i think we really need to reevaluate the whole competition. Expand list sizes and maybe have the AFLW/VFLW running together so we can get some games into those who are not playing 1's.

There is a lot of noise coming out from the girls saying that the AFLW needs to take the next step because the competition will start to suffer without more resources and full time contracts etc.

Reply #18
There is a lot of noise coming out from the girls saying that the AFLW needs to take the next step because the competition will start to suffer without more resources and full time contracts etc.
I agree with most of that, I'd add that I think the timing of the AFLW should see it move to an evening / night competition.

It's ridiculous that we have this type of sport scheduled in some cases to start in the hottest part of our summer days. All that is doing is adding to the physical and metal duress and ultimately that will increase the risk of injury through fatigue.

I think though women's sport needs to become serious about differentiating itself from mens sport or it will suffer, they are not a clone of mens sport, they will never be a clone of mens sport, womens sporty needs to be something different, tactically and conceptually different. Oddly to me this is highlighted by what is currently happening in men's doubles tennis, I've friends who have an abject hatred of tennis, but the are watching the K's, and that is only highlighting the difference between mens and womens sport! The Barty qtr-final after the K's was as big of a contrast as you might ever find in sport, one made people tune in, the other made them tune out!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Maybe the “smart money” would see us “unable” to field a team…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #20
Yes, I had wonder how honest some of these "We can't field a team" claims were, better to delay the game than go in weak!

Maybe, just maybe, and I'd assert this has been the case for too long, we are a bit too kind, a bit too fair, a bit too honest!

As an aside, when a Dangerflog type points the finger at a club like ours, perhaps it is "The smeller is the fella!" ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21

There is literally no downside to 'not fielding a side'.

With a bit of luck, when the draw rejigs itself, you might even get an easier opponent!

Next time we are drawn to play against Melbourne, Freo, Adelaide etc. Maybe we come down with a touch of the covids!
Might end up playing st kilda, gold coast and west coast on the reschedule!

If you can't field a side, too bad, you forfeit your 4 points because players couldn't take a duty of care.