Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 7 2022 Carlton vs Frankston at Frankston (Read 2735 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 7 2022 Carlton vs Frankston at Frankston

Reply #60
[1] Disappointing to lose, but we were really ordinary for a lot of the night.
[2] We struggled in the conditions all night. Our kicking and marking was really down. Our taller forwards struggled to have an impact all night.
For example, Josh Cripps had 5 possessions and 1 goal, Hugh Hamilton had 8 (granted he is just a kid), Crocker had just 10, although he did manage 3 goals.
Similarly, a lot of our better defenders struggled for possessions and couldn't take marks. Kemp got a bit of ball, but didn't take many of his trademark marks.
[3] Whether it was a plan or not, Hayes was really down, as was Tom Williamson. They get a lot of possessions at this level and we missed their drive.
[4] I know Mirkov is learning the caper, but, especially in the last quarter, he could have changed his taps up by thumping the ball forward. It would have put the Frankston mids off their game.
[5] Frankston were up for this game, even if it didn't always appear on the scoreboard. We weren't.
[6] With a number of our players struggling in the conditions, we really missed the steadiness of Marchbank in the last quarter. We really needed someone to stand up in defence in the last quarter, and we didn't have someone.
[7] Setters had a good 2nd quarter, but otherwise didn't do much at all. I would have left him on because he needs time at this level to get some form.
[8] 10 goals straight on those conditions were pure luck. No other way to describe it.
[9] I think we'll be better when we get some players back. Too much is being left to too little. Sounds familiar?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #61
Really disappointed in Philp's game. he contributed very little.
Motlop isn't AFL ready yet. he also struggled with the conditions.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #62
Where is Josh Cripps at?........KP forward who pinch hits in the ruck, or 50/50 both roles?
5 possies vs a standalone low profile team like Frankston isnt exactly braining it, have we been seduced by the Cripps name or can this kid take the next step?. Seen him play for about 30 mins so I have no idea what he is capable of other than his WAFL form which was encouraging..

Reply #63
Where is Josh Cripps at?........KP forward who pinch hits in the ruck, or 50/50 both roles?
5 possies vs a standalone low profile team like Frankston isnt exactly braining it, have we been seduced by the Cripps name or can this kid take the next step?. Seen him play for about 30 mins so I have no idea what he is capable of other than his WAFL form which was encouraging..
For his size he's quite good when he gets involved, good mobility and agility not unlike his brother, but his tank is way way off Cripps Snr, and at this stage Cripps Jnr just doesn't get to enough of the contests.

I can see SpecialK's influence in the coaching, because he's not really a natural ruck, the tap isn't his go, but he and Mirkov both crack on with the 2nd efforts. So in this regard at the moment Cripps Jnr is a poor man's SoJ maybe without the ability to cover the ground.

He's still growing, was 199cm two years ago, not sure what he is now but as is typical for 200cm types he might not peak for another 2 or 3 years! If anything I'd say he is in the awkward stage, with his body and strength needing to catch up with his size.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
For his size he's quite good when he gets involved, good mobility and agility not unlike his brother, but his tank is way way off Cripps Snr, and at this stage Cripps Jnr just doesn't get to enough of the contests.

I can see SpecialK's influence in the coaching, because he's not really a natural ruck, the tap isn't his go, but he and Mirkov both crack on with the 2nd efforts. So in this regard at the moment Cripps Jnr is a poor man's SoJ maybe without the ability to cover the ground.

He's still growing, was 199cm two years ago, not sure what he is now but as is typical for 200cm types he might not peak for another 2 or 3 years! If anything I'd say he is in the awkward stage, with his body and strength needing to catch up with his size.
Pretty good summary.
At this point Josh really needs to work on his endurance, so he gets to more contests. As he gets stronger, he take more marks. Similarly, if he gets to more contests, he kick more goals.
He doesn't appear to be a natural ruckman; his ruck work is quite primitive. However, give him the strength and that problem will solve itself.
At the moment, our style of play isn't providing the same opportunities that our seniors have because our 2nd don't kick as well. That isn't helping him. But he has to learn to get in front and hold his ground.
There is something to work with, but it is a way off at the moment.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #65

So more years in the system so he can get fitter before a call can be made, maybe a rookie spot to fast track him.
Talls as we all know take time but in todays modern game its tougher to carry project players unless they are seen as potential Blue Chip players of the future.

Reply #66
From what I have seen he is more than good enough to hold a bottom six spot on the list that won't demand to play every week.. but there for back up.