Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2022 Post Game Celebrations Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 5143 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2022 Post Game Celebrations Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #75
Like most, was hoping for something akin to an 80 point+ win, especially after that third quarter. The lead at 3/4 time should've been even more with a few missed shots and a couple of posters.

But they looked genuinely out of puff in that last quarter so maybe that style of game is something that is very hard to maintain over 4 quarters?

So many highlights:

1. The usual stuff from the usual suspects...Cripps, Cerra, Kennedy, Walsh, Docherty. And to think we have to squeeze Hewett back in there.
2. Another good game IMO from Fisher. His last 3 weeks have been much better and his disposal is a real weapon.
3. Charlie Curnow was magnificent and opposition coaches would be scratching their heads now about how best to match up on him. The fact that him and Harry are so much different in their games is probably what sets them apart from other key forward combinations.
4. Some solid defensive stuff again from Young this week, albeit not really A-Grade opposition.
5. Silvagni just keeps on going and is such a key player for us. Glad to see him hit the scoreboard.

Not so good?:

1. He salvaged his game late but thought Newman was pretty untidy again early.
2. O'Brien did some good things but was pretty weak in the contest on more than one occasion.
3. I was surprised that Carroll appeared to spend the whole first 1/4 on the bench? I had to check the teams to make sure he wasn't a late withdrawal. Followed it up with 13 possessions in the 2nd/3rd quarters and looks comfortable at this level.
4. Martin injured again. His soft tissue injuries over a long period of time are a worry and we just might never really get to see what he can produce consistently.
Agree on Newman, gets a bit of ball but is a loose defender but as I keep saying he has a few mates down back who dont like picking up a man. Obrien had a moment where he dropped an easy mark because he thought there was contact coming but he was on his own, saw a Crows player do same not long after. Thought he used the ball ok even thought his DE% was very ordinary.
Carroll is a good footballer, nice skills and good attack on the football, fairly unobtrusive and I was surprised he started on the bench. Didnt mind Newnes game either, solid but unspectacular and kicked a nice Newnes type goal.
Martin like McGovern could get injured tripping over a butterfly, like the latter he usually misses a third of the season and you just have to hope he is up and running at the business end of the season as he does give us a bit of class all be it in short bursts.

Reply #76
@ Surfie

Couldn't agree more about the boys being absolutely spent by the 4Q. We have not yet reached the fitness levels necessary  to play our game style for 4 qtrs imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #77
"The incident involving Carlton’s Patrick Cripps and the Adelaide Crows’ Lachlan Murphy from the third quarter of Sunday’s match between Carlton and the Adelaide Crows was assessed. Murphy gains possession of the ball in the centre square where he is met by Cripps who lays a tackle. It was the view of the Match Review Officer that Cripps’ actions did not constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken."

I cannot believe these peanuts are getting paid to do this job. Do we need to bring out an alternate strip jumper with a massive target on the chest instead of the CFC?

Reply #78
agree, why the need to comment on it at all

Reply #79
agree, why the need to comment on it at all
Because the media was reporting that it might get looked. They looked at it, nothing to report, they said as much publicly,  case closed and now the vultures can all STFU.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #80
Alistair Clarkson, David Parkin, Brett Ratten, Alex Jesaulenko and a support cast of thousands say hello!
Clarkson, like Sheedy, was passed his use by date at Hawthorn and was moved on after changing his mind to a succession plan he initially agreed with. Jezza backed the wrong horse in Harris signing his own "death" warrant. Ratten was seen as not up to it, he hasn't proven otherwise to date. Parko not sure if he was undermined or was moved on once the club got a whiff that he was chasing $$ at Fitzroy?? In any case, he came back and won a flag.
Teague and his band of merry men had absolutely no effin idea, but they were clever enough to knife Bolts along the way.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #81
When we're on, it's great to watch!  I was doing the right thing and cooking dinner, so was glancing over.  Once we started the game, which seemed to be a bit after Adelaide (didn't know the AFL was handicapping these days!), we were good.  Some of our issues of the last few years when we don't have the ball are disappearing - we're not getting blown away, opposition are being chased and we seem better at putting on pressure and scrambling.

It is great to be in a position where players who may deserve a look don't get one, because their position isn't available and we're not making them do something they aren't at the club for.  Also great that there is more genuine debate about who should replace who - there seem to be a couple of options - except for KPD and ruck!

We are a bit 'Vo Rogue', in playing all out, getting as big a lead as we can before getting tired and falling down - no danger this week, but as we have seen, can produce some nervous moments.  All the fans need to do now, is try to learn to be confident about the team!

Reply #82
Apart from all the good stuff mentioned by other posters, I think we have a real 'flying under the radar' award winner in Lewis Young.  We may have found a 200-game replacement for Liam Jones - goes about his stuff with a minimum of fuss, great set of hands, clean with his foot skills, and executes his spoils extremely well.  Bet the Bulldogs wish they still had him.....

Leading the pack for the most ‘liked’ post. Good one tonyo.

I think Young is a beauty. As is Saad, Cez, Hewett, and to a lesser degree Williams. Seems we might have turned the corner in recruiting in recent years
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #83
Leading the pack for the most ‘liked’ post. Good one tonyo.

I think Young is a beauty. As is Saad, Cez, Hewett, and to a lesser degree Williams. Seems we might have turned the corner in recruiting in recent years
That and winning is infectious, the confidence and belief them stems from it. Interesting listening to Vossy and Kenny on 360 last night, game plan is vital sure but man management is the other key piece in the jig saw. I reckon rumours of the paint pealing off the walls post Freo game are BS. He was asked if he has lost it yet and delivered a spray and he said no.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #84
That and winning is infectious, the confidence and belief them stems from it. Interesting listening to Vossy and Kenny on 360 last night, game plan is vital sure but man management is the other key piece in the jig saw. I reckon rumours of the paint pealing off the walls post Freo game are BS. He was asked if he has lost it yet and delivered a spray and he said no.

I don’t think that a spray is Vossy’s style.  A cold, hard stare is more likely to be his weapon of choice.

It’s pretty clear that he and his assistants have established a strong rapport with the playing group and have nailed delivering a consistent message.

Then there’s the focus on building/improving the culture, something that previous coaches neglected or couldn’t achieve. While driving a greatly improved club culture seems to come more naturally to Vossy’s coaching group, he does have one assistant with that as his primary focus.  Finally, I think the role of Crippa in helping to implement cultural change has been pivotal. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
The power of belief built on the right approach! Amazing how everyone buys in, truly infectious and starts to become self-sustaining.  Vossy's challenge is to stop any complacency creeping in and I'm sure he's the right man to do that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #86
Clarkson, like Sheedy, was passed his use by date at Hawthorn and was moved on after changing his mind to a succession plan he initially agreed with. Jezza backed the wrong horse in Harris signing his own "death" warrant. Ratten was seen as not up to it, he hasn't proven otherwise to date. Parko not sure if he was undermined or was moved on once the club got a whiff that he was chasing $$ at Fitzroy?? In any case, he came back and won a flag.
Teague and his band of merry men had absolutely no effin idea, but they were clever enough to knife Bolts along the way.
Regardless of the reasons or excuses, they are all examples of coaches being undermined by Administrations, none of those coaches are/were clueless, and I'd say they are just the tip of the iceberg for such examples.

There were a lot of people on here who wanted Voss ousted in favour of the Past-Used-By Clarkson, there probably still is! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #87
Cripps' start to the season had been unbelievable. I thought he was cooked but he's in career best form, that's saying something because in 2019 he won the AFL MVP.

I don't like kicking our coaches once they have departed but Teague's comments on him last year were shameful.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #88
Cripps' start to the season had been unbelievable. I thought he was cooked but he's in career best form, that's saying something because in 2019 he won the AFL MVP.

I don't like kicking our coaches once they have departed but Teague's comments on him last year were shameful.
There was a lot of shameful commentary last season, but as Winston stated;

"History is always written by the victors!"!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #89
I remember people on here using the distasteful Bradbury comparison when Voss got the job well Bradbury has an Olympic gold medal from the pinnacle of his sport. Be nice to see Voss get some reward for his hard work and patience as an assistant eventually maybe not this year but soon.
We have started to play 3 quarters of football not the two we were playing 3or4 weeks ago slowly starting to fit into our game plan changes learning as we go