Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2022 Post Game Celebrations Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 5138 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2022 Post Game Celebrations Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #90
I don’t think we played three quarters on Sunday.

Adelaide got on a roll and had a bit of luck.  We defended dourly, continued with our high-pressure attacking game and kicked two goals to their four, including Charlie’s sixth in the dying seconds of the game.

In seasons past, we would have gone in to our shells, played defensively, and been run over.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #91
Yes I agree, just because a team fails to win every quarter doesn't mean it isn't putting in.

Sometimes the opposition run on comes down to umpiring moments, and luck as you mentioned, and those things happen regardless of team effort.

Fans should probably respect the growing maturity of our list, in that the team doesn't drop their heads when the odd bad thing happens. In the past that wasn't the case, you could feel the dread, not so much anymore as there is actually an air of stability!

Unlike the 2's that dropped their bundle last Saturday night!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92

Adelaide got on a roll and had a bit of luck.  We defended dourly, continued with our high-pressure attacking game and kicked two goals to their four, including Charlie’s sixth in the dying seconds of the game.

In seasons past, we would have gone in to our shells, played defensively, and been run over.

Melbourne are undefeated but I don't think they would have won all 4 quarters in many games.
Probably should have checked the data on that before posting but I'll stick my neck out.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #93
Melbourne are undefeated but I don't think they would have won all 4 quarters in many games.
Probably should have checked the data on that before posting but I'll stick my neck out.
I think @DJC has a valid point, in that the inference is playing four quarters and winning four quarters are not necessarily the same thing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
Regardless of the reasons or excuses, they are all examples of coaches being undermined by Administrations, none of those coaches are/were clueless, and I'd say they are just the tip of the iceberg for such examples.

There were a lot of people on here who wanted Voss ousted in favour of the Past-Used-By Clarkson, there probably still is! :o

I think we should be wary of seeing the administrators as undermining the coaches.  Football clubs are political places.  They are generally a bit factional regardless of what happens, but the one thing I do know is that what you hear publically is only a fragment of what is seen privately.

It is entirely possible that the issues existed a long way before any public "undermining" was seen as a blocker.

The wheels fell off for our coaches months before they were removed from the role in almost every circumstance and once it was clear to us on the outside what was happening it was likely a forgone conclusion internally.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #95
I think we are "playing" 4 qrtrs but struggling to play at our preferred intensity for the whole game atm. We need to both  improve our endurance  and our ability to play some tempo footy imo. Cripps actually referred to this in his post game interview.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #96
Agree re Lewis Young....looking more comfortable every week and shaping as an excellent long term prospect. Made sweeter by the fact it was the draft pick from West Coast for SPS that got him and SPS not exactly setting the world on fire with a dozen or so cheap possessions each week and barely kicks the ball more than 20m every time he gets it.

Pity to lose Martin again and again. He rarely plays 4 quarters but offers something to us in terms of X-Factor that not many of our other mid-sized players can do. His ideal replacement is Silvagni so it's just a pity that JSOS has to ruck at the moment....not that it seems to be hindering his game as he just keeps on going.

But we're getting goals out of blokes like Cripps and Kennedy and Fisher on a regular basis, and Silvagni....so Martin out this week won't be a massive hole to fill IMO.

Reply #97
Agree re Lewis Young....looking more comfortable every week and shaping as an excellent long term prospect. Made sweeter by the fact it was the draft pick from West Coast for SPS that got him and SPS not exactly setting the world on fire with a dozen or so cheap possessions each week and barely kicks the ball more than 20m every time he gets it.

Pity to lose Martin again and again. He rarely plays 4 quarters but offers something to us in terms of X-Factor that not many of our other mid-sized players can do. His ideal replacement is Silvagni so it's just a pity that JSOS has to ruck at the moment....not that it seems to be hindering his game as he just keeps on going.

But we're getting goals out of blokes like Cripps and Kennedy and Fisher on a regular basis, and Silvagni....so Martin out this week won't be a massive hole to fill IMO.
Reckon Josh Honey would be a good chance to replace Martin if he can get some fitness.
Same X factor type and has a bit of spark to his game.

Reply #98
I think we are "playing" 4 qrtrs but struggling to play at our preferred intensity for the whole game atm. We need to both  improve our endurance  and our ability to play some tempo footy imo. Cripps actually referred to this in his post game interview.
I think many fans see tempo football as a fail, the fans want 100% game time berserker.

Those moments that the fans revel in when we are "on a roll" are the AFL equivalent of a sprint, but a full game is a marathon!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
Reckon Josh Honey would be a good chance to replace Martin if he can get some fitness vs and form.
Same X factor type and has a bit of spark to his game.
I think Honey, Fisher and Owies probably compete for the same spot, I see Martin as much better and bigger overhead marking threat than any of the other options.

Honey will have to get much better at covering the ground to threaten Owies or Fisher.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101
Admins only undermine when the coach is clueless.
The point I was making wasn't one where I was rehashing the arguments for or against Teague, the point I was making was that teams suffer when Administrations undermine the existing coach, whoever that is. Supporting the Coach provides a stable base that enables the football team to at least have the opportunity to maximise their potential. Destabilising the Coach prevents any opportunity for this to happen.

Reply #102
Made sweeter by the fact it was the draft pick from West Coast for SPS that got him and SPS not exactly setting the world on fire with a dozen or so cheap possessions each week and barely kicks the ball more than 20m every time he gets it.

Have to feel for SPS - talk about jumping from a frypan into a fire!  WCE are a rabble.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #103
There is a bit of what came first the chicken or the egg when we talk about the coach failing and the admins undermining him.

We find out once the admins already have it in their head that the coach is a dead man walking, and although it comes across as the administration undermining the coach, I think its the opposite, and that we just find out that the writing is on the wall.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #104
Have to feel for SPS - talk about jumping from a frypan into a fire!  WCE are a rabble.
arkim
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time