Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 6418 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #15
The boys love playing to their home crowd. We haven't won away. Something they need to work on. A win this week would be very nice, even nicer than if we beat them in Melbourne.

Reply #16
The boys love playing to their home crowd. We haven't won away. Something they need to work on. A win this week would be very nice, even nicer than if we beat them in Melbourne.

We haven't won away......while it is correct, its overstating things. We've only played 2 away,
1st against Gold Coast, where Pittonet didn't play, and we lost Cripps early. - Hitouts 52-19
2nd against Freo, who are up there with the best this year, we lost Pittonet early, and didn't have Silvagni as backup. - Hitouts 50-18

Now we seem to have adjusted to life after Pittonet and have adequate backups (not setterfield!) we are in much better shape.

Reply #17
Witts and Darcy monstered TDK. Goldstein is fine ruckman but he's not the most physical which allowed TDK to do his thing.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #18
The problem with playing GWS is that you don't know which GWS is going to turn up. They have beaten Gold Coast and Adelaide but lost to everybody else. We really should beat them with our mid-field and key forwards but they do have dangerous players. They have never really played with sustained heart but they do get on rolls where everybody contributes and then their collective natural ability overpowers opposition. We really should win this one but I have been watching Carlton over the past fifteen twenty years and I don't trust them yet. If we paly sustained football we will win but the question is whether we will play sustained football.

Reply #19
Witts and Darcy monstered TDK. Goldstein is fine ruckman but he's not the most physical which allowed TDK to do his thing.
TDK was in the coaches votes against Darcy

Reply #20
TDK was in the coaches votes against Darcy

His first quarter up forward was good and he played well after Darcy went off. Against Darcy in the ruck he was monstered.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #21
Preuss will be a much more formidable adversary. A real mongrel. Wish he was playing for us.

Reply #22
That's not a knock on TDK as he was giving up 10kg.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #23
Thinking about who we play on Greene, he is a very versatile and damaging player.
Going through our list thinking about a player we have who is similar.
I think this could be a job for Kennedy who can match him for strength and mobility.
I know it is something from left field but Greene is a left field type player can turn games very quickly.
Bring Dow in to help out in the midfield.
Where Greene goes Kennedy goes and it also might make Greene accountable because Kennedy too can be damaging.
 ::)  ::)  ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #24
Thinking about who we play on Greene, he is a very versatile and damaging player.
Going through our list thinking about a player we have who is similar.
I think this could be a job for Kennedy who can match him for strength and mobility.
I know it is something from left field but Greene is a left field type player can turn games very quickly.
Bring Dow in to help out in the midfield.
Where Greene goes Kennedy goes and it also might make Greene accountable because Kennedy too can be damaging.
 ::)  ::)  ::)
I reckon Saad would be the best match up, can defend and will run off him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
Yep, someone to harass him and he was my first thought as well.

Reply #26
I reckon Saad would be the best match up, can defend and will run off him.

That could well be the right match up. Saad is strong at the ball, maneuverable and quick. On paper at least just what you need. I don't really like Kennedy in that role as Greene's quick thinking and agility might just be too much for him. Leave him to his more usual role.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #27
That could well be the right match up. Saad is strong at the ball, maneuverable and quick. On paper at least just what you need. I don't really like Kennedy in that role as Greene's quick thinking and agility might just be too much for him. Leave him to his more usual role.
I'd Like to think Saad will read the incoming ball and intercept it as he does week in week out. His anticipation and will to spoil is like no other in our team. He does this rarely giving away a free kick to the fwd.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #28
Saad isnt great overhead and Greene for his inches is a strong mark and strong in the body. Saw Greene outmark Collingwoods Maynard for 4 quarters who is a strong unit and more physical than our blokes and it's one of Greene's strengths.
Double team Greene would be how I would play him and not allow him one on one.
Like Dusty, Degoey, Stringer etc once those types have you one on one and the delivery is reasonable then it's over...

Reply #29
Not sure there should be such an obsession with negating Greene. Yes, by all means put a hard tag on him and perhaps organise a hand over when Greene goes forward. But double-teaming him is going a bit far. Team defence should be able to give us most of what double-teaming would do as our intercept defenders will have a fair idea that Greene will attract the ball a lot. We should have an advantage at stoppages and we don't want to lose that. Getting it forward to H & Charlie should give the Giants enough to worry about. Cripps showed how to turn a double-team against the defensive team at stoppages by allowing a team mate to be loose.