Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 6417 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #30
I see this game as a real litmus test for us.  Apart from a really lucky 1 point win in 2017, we haven't beaten this mob since 2013.  And we have been mauled on several occasions.

They also have an annoying history of playing very well the week after a poor game (so the Geelong thing last week may not have done us any favours). 

If we get a win this week, our season is looking very bullish.  Fingers crossed.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #31
If Stocker was fit and had more games under his belt this year I reckon he'd be given a crack at Greene. He could match him on the ground and then just rely on a third man up scenario when it's in the air. I think Plowman might come back in and get a crack at him this week.

Hard to see where Dow gets a role, especially if Hewett is fit this week? He's predominantly and inside midfielder so he's pushing sh#t up hill to get that role with Cripps, Kennedy, Walsh, Cerra and possibly Hewett in the starting 18 this week. Jack Carroll started in the square on more than one occasion last week too but I think is suited to a spot on a wing. In 2 games I think Carroll has shown he's a step up from Setterfield.

Reply #32
A few uncertainties surrounding players available right now. If Hewett is available, he comes in for Martin. Not sure if Plowman is available.

I'd consider Cottrell or Boyd to play small forward to replace Martin.

Reply #33
This is one of those games where not having Jones is a bit of an issue.

He could take Greene if the initial match up isnt working because he can play tall and small.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #34
Switching Boyd to the forward line would be risky. Having a job to do tagging a forward is a bit easier for him as he'll be taken to the ball. He's only had 4 games and the confidence he's gained could easily be destroyed by putting him into starvation corner. Has he played much as a small forward in the VFL?

EDIT: Answering my own question, this is what the CFC published when he was picked up in the MSRD:
That 2019 year was a significant season of progression for Boyd, who went from a train-on player for Footscray’s VFL side before cementing a spot as a forward.
Boyd is viewed as a high forward who can use his pace and foot skills to damaging effect in the front half, but he’s added another string to his bow so far in the VFL season.

With the likes of AFL-listed Mitch Wallis, Cody Weightman and Mitch Hannan among others in the VFL forward mix for the Bulldogs, Boyd was thrown into the back half.

The 22-year-old embraced the challenge, showcasing to Carlton’s recruiting staff his flexibility and ability to adapt to a new challenge.

“It’s been an interesting one. I trained all pre-season in a forward line, midfield-wing role and it came to Round 1 and they said, ‘look we’re going to have throw you down back’,” he said.

“But I actually really enjoyed it down there, it’s been a challenge early trying to learn everything and all the different positioning, but I really embraced that.

“I’m happy to play at both ends of the ground or wherever… I’m just happy to be on the ground to be honest!”

Reply #35
This is one of those games where not having Jones is a bit of an issue.

He could take Greene if the initial match up isnt working because he can play tall and small.
Was thinking same, Jones has played on those awkward smalls/ mediums and had the pace to stick with them while being superior in the air.

Reply #36
I'd consider Cottrell or Boyd to play small forward to replace Martin.
I suspect Carroll will get that job shared with Fisher, our coaches(Voss and Power) have already talked Carroll up as a potential AFL HF/SF based on his showing in the VFL.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Not sure there should be such an obsession with negating Greene. Yes, by all means put a hard tag on him and perhaps organise a hand over when Greene goes forward. But double-teaming him is going a bit far. Team defence should be able to give us most of what double-teaming would do as our intercept defenders will have a fair idea that Greene will attract the ball a lot. We should have an advantage at stoppages and we don't want to lose that. Getting it forward to H & Charlie should give the Giants enough to worry about. Cripps showed how to turn a double-team against the defensive team at stoppages by allowing a team mate to be loose.
GWS strength is their midfield so I would expect Greene to get decent supply when the Giants have momentum unlike a few other teams we have played like Nth and the Crows where we have dominated the middle of the ground so I think we need to prepare for a player like Greene and make life harder for him. The reality is if Greene is on his game then we will probably lose...

Reply #38
Not sure there should be such an obsession with negating Greene.
Tend to agree, if we become too focussed on stopping we'll lose the attack side of the game, and it's basically attack that is winning us games so we should concentrate on our strengths.

I wonder if Greene would be as damaging and useful if we had guys like Doc or Saad run off him, I bet Greene hangs back more than he chases, sure we'll turn it over sometimes and Greene will benefit, but I bet we can get a net gain if we stick to the plan.

Personally I think stopping and tagging are way over-rated, they are tactics used heavily when a coach thinks he can't win enough one on ones, I doubt that our current team fits that description. I'll back Cripps, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra, Hewett, Charlie, McKay, SoJ, Durdin, Weitering, Saad, Doc, Young, Owies, Newman, Newnes, etc., etc., to win or at least break even, and my confidence is much higher this season for guys like Fisher, LoB, Boyd, TDK, etc., etc..
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
Was thinking same, Jones has played on those awkward smalls/ mediums and had the pace to stick with them while being superior in the air.

Last year, that bomb he put through from 60 on half time was a real momentum shifter.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
If SOS was still playing, he would have been perfect as well. But there's not much point considering former players.

Reply #41
Personally I think stopping and tagging are way over-rated, they are tactics used heavily when a coach thinks he can't win enough one on ones, I doubt that our current team fits that description. I'll back Cripps, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra, Hewett, Charlie, McKay, SoJ, Durdin, Weitering, Saad, Doc, Young, Owies, Newman, Newnes, etc., etc., to win or at least break even, and my confidence is much higher this season for guys like Fisher, LoB, Boyd, TDK, etc., etc..

He's good but he's not that bloody good. We have a team to attend to.  So do they

Reply #42
Not sure there should be such an obsession with negating Greene. Yes, by all means put a hard tag on him and perhaps organise a hand over when Greene goes forward. But double-teaming him is going a bit far. Team defence should be able to give us most of what double-teaming would do as our intercept defenders will have a fair idea that Greene will attract the ball a lot. We should have an advantage at stoppages and we don't want to lose that. Getting it forward to H & Charlie should give the Giants enough to worry about. Cripps showed how to turn a double-team against the defensive team at stoppages by allowing a team mate to be loose.

Yes, I suspect that the GWS coaches are more worried about how to negate Cripps, McKay, Curnow, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy, Docherty, Saad, Weitering and others than we are about Greene.

Our sliding defence, more defensive midfield and the hard work of our small forwards all over the ground should limit Greene’s opportunities.

I’d expect Newman, Williams, Docherty and Saad to put time into Greene.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43
Tend to agree, if we become too focussed on stopping we'll lose the attack side of the game, and it's basically attack that is winning us games so we should concentrate on our strengths.

I wonder if Greene would be as damaging and useful if we had guys like Doc or Saad run off him, I bet Greene hangs back more than he chases, sure we'll turn it over sometimes and Greene will benefit, but I bet we can get a net gain if we stick to the plan.

Running off players is fine as long as you are on them when it matters and IMHO and I have been saying it all season some of our defenders dont man up at all and strike that happy balance. When your midfield dominates you can cover that because the ball isnt getting down to your defenders areas as often or as quick but I think the GWS mids are a lot better than the Nth, Crows mids we have played in recent weeks and they deserve a bit of respect. Kelly, Cogs, Ward, Taranto, Green, Whitfield and Perryman assisted by Pruess and Flynn in the ruck is a decent setup and a player like Greene will get his fair share of opportunities IMHO.

Reply #44
Running off players is fine as long as you are on them when it matters and IMHO and I have been saying it all season some of our defenders dont man up at all and strike that happy balance. When your midfield dominates you can cover that because the ball isnt getting down to your defenders areas as often or as quick but I think the GWS mids are a lot better than the Nth, Crows mids we have played in recent weeks and they deserve a bit of respect. Kelly, Cogs, Ward, Taranto, Green, Whitfield and Perryman assisted by Pruess and Flynn in the ruck is a decent setup and a player like Greene will get his fair share of opportunities IMHO.
We have to score @ElwoodBlues1 tagging is not our go, and in any case we don't have the people to man them up, but we do have people who can win a head to head in the other direction.

I'll make a prediction, after this weeks game people will be back to cursing Owies, Durdin, LoB, Newnes and maybe Newman, Plowman or Cottrell subject to selection. Because this weekend if our Mids can't clearly win the battle then the deep running of LoB, Owies, Durdin and Newnes isn't going to be enough, and guys like Newman, Cottrell maybe even Plowman or Williams will be caught 1 out against 2 or 3 opponents!

Fans have been taking the deep running of LoB, Owies, Newnes and even Setterfield for granted, but those guys have been pushing hard back to make up for the likes of Cripps and Walsh being caught behind the play. However GWS is too skilled, they'll use the free player better than most clubs do, and that means nobody knows where to run!
The Force Awakens!