Skip to main content
Topic: Soccer fans' behaviour (Read 65393 times) previous topic - next topic

Soccer fans' behaviour

Been in the news a bit lately. Why don't these see you next Tuesdays pull their heads in and just enjoy a night out at the soccer. Is it really that boring that they need to start blueing? WTF is the matter with them. Never liked the a league myself...always thought it was for tryhards trying to emulate the overseas culture. 

Thoughts.

Re: Soccer fans' behaviour

Reply #1
As a South Melbourne FC die hard im numb to anything that happens in the HAL(ia) league.  HAL standing for Hyundai A League the bit in brackets is an in joke for Greeks.

As far as I can tell any negative press the media can give soccer they can and I feel that this might be due code rivalry and vested interest by media that dont want to see soccer take off.

My advice to them is dont be concerned with airing the codes dirty laundry and focus on figures and the A league will go belly up in die course.  Imagine the AFL not having one profitable club and having to bail out 27 million dollar losses annually?  Thats whats happening in the A league.  Grass roots soccer is footing the bill with junior registrations tipping the four digit figures in some academies.  All points to disaster for soccer moving forward.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
I don't know a lot about soccer but violence between supporters of different clubs seems to be a common factor wherever the game is played.  Contrast that with the generally good natured rivalry between supporters in other codes.

Perhaps the league could ban supporters from wearing club colours; if everyone was in neutral clothes it would be difficult to know who to attack  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Soccer is outdated.

A sport where after an extended period the winner did so by achieving 2 successes to the opponents 1 is the very recipe for severe supporter frustration. Severe. So many minutes with so little being achieved.

Any wonder supporters carry on as they do... 80+ minutes of frustration is ridiculous!!!!

This sport should be abandoned and stopped. >:D >:D >:D This sport feeds civil unrest and antisocial behavior.  >:D >:D

In our game, even if you lose (same for basketball and hockey), at least you have had the opportunity to cheer and hope (expelling frustration). Goodbye soccer... your run was good, but now we need football >:D >:D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #4
The wars between fans is simply ridiculous and always has been in this sport. Not a great example for the kids at all, and its little wonder less kids come to watch soccer because their parents are too worried an issue in the crowd will erupt. I'm an ethnic that watched the sport years ago, but stopped watching because of all the fights before and after a game. COOL DOWN HOT HEADS. COOL DOWN. Not enough love in this world.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #5
As a South Melbourne FC die hard im numb to anything that happens in the HAL(ia) league.  HAL standing for Hyundai A League the bit in brackets is an in joke for Greeks.

As far as I can tell any negative press the media can give soccer they can and I feel that this might be due code rivalry and vested interest by media that dont want to see soccer take off.

My advice to them is dont be concerned with airing the codes dirty laundry and focus on figures and the A league will go belly up in die course.  Imagine the AFL not having one profitable club and having to bail out 27 million dollar losses annually?  Thats whats happening in the A league.  Grass roots soccer is footing the bill with junior registrations tipping the four digit figures in some academies.  All points to disaster for soccer moving forward.

I don't see why the media would have a vested interest in the failure of "the world game" in our country and you can't say these riots were singled out because the media has an agenda. The media will always report the negatives before the positives because that's what sells, and from what I can tell there a very few positives to report on the A-League anyway.

Reply #6
The media doesn't need to paint a bad picture about soccer the fans do it themselves. Going to the game tonight better make sure I pack the Flares... WTF?
Took my son to an A League game and it was soooo boring, spoke to an ethnic guy in front about it and he agreed with me and couldn't understand why he was there watching this garbage as well.
TALK ABOUT WATCHING PAINT DRY.
And yes the mandatory flares we're let off during that game.
Always thought the game wouldn't get any respect Australia wide until the players stopped faking free kicks and injuries, it is so un Australian. >:(
Don't get me started on junior soccer and those kids falling over like flies as if they had just been shot and then the parents running on the field yelling abuse at the oppos players...WTF. Only for the tears to be wiped away and then they play on. :o
Give me Aussie rules anyday. 8)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #7
I remember watching a doco  while ago about soccer fan violence overseas. From memory, it was said that in a few cases, soccer is merely used as a front and the violence had to do with underworld and organised crime rings extracting revenge on each other. 

Not sure that would be the case here, but monkey see, monkey do...people trying to emulate what they do overseas through some warped idea that it's so much better over there. 

Best country in the world here, and people don't realise how good we have it compared to other places. Lets keep it that way.

Reply #8
Soccer.....pfft! Just not interested at all.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
I don't know a lot about soccer but violence between supporters of different clubs seems to be a common factor wherever the game is played.  Contrast that with the generally good natured rivalry between supporters in other codes.

Perhaps the league could ban supporters from wearing club colours; if everyone was in neutral clothes it would be difficult to know who to attack  ::)
Opposing supporters are separated in most countries. I guess it is not unexpected when the game gives so few scores that misses are put on TV as highlights and scoreless draws are considered good contests. Fans put enormous energy into their teams and it all comes out when a score occurs. Single scores often alter games.
We put in the same energy, but as we score more often, we don't have the pent up rage that occurs in soccer. It is released in smaller quanta. I have survived as a 13 year old boy in the outer at Collingwood shouting for Carlton with all my being. That just wouldn't happen in soccer.
Mind you, it also appears to be a life style choice among soccer fans. I can recall listening to a soccer hooligan trying to chat up a girl on a train by describing his behavior. His mother had to ring in for him most Monday mornings as he was in jail.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
His mother had to ring in for him most Monday mornings as he was in jail.

;D ;D ;D
I'll remember to use that one next time I'm down the Dorset trying to pick up sheilas.  ;D

Reply #11
First things first, covering your face in a public gathering with intent to do harm is a gutless act by a weak prick who still has a mummy wiping their ar5e!

The media are not the primary cause of this problem but they do contribute to it, they happily stoke the fires to get more copy. It gets more coverage now because of that, but it really isn't any more violent than things that happened years ago around the old Melbourne league.

Finally, it has nothing to do with soccer, football, rugby or any other sport with a vested interest. It is all racist crap hiding under the cover of team colours.

Making a law or league ruling to remove points from teams will only make it worse, next time the weak gutless pricks will dress up as opposition supporters and try to deliberately cause a loss of points.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
We have to be a bit careful about theorising about soccer's scoring rate being so low that it engenders frustration which results in violence.  Very often, this sort of theorising involves justifying our own prejudices rather than looking at evidence to see where it leads us.  I read a good book about this recently - it catalogued a number of areas in which "common sense" notions are just a load of bollocks.  One of the more obvious examples currently is the way that Abbott's government and all his fellow travellers allow their fundamental cynicism about global warming (or more likely their distaste concerning the ramifications that addressing it might have on the noble pursuit of profits) to influence policy, despite Abbott's claim that he accepts global warming as true. 

Desmond Morris, who is a famous author of books about human behaviour, wrote that soccer was supposedly the perfect game to release frustrations.  He focussed on the number of times the ball came into contact with the foot, and he theorised that this made it a great game to enthrall spectators and diminish their wish to fight.  I doubt if his analysis was driven by much research.  No doubt, he was just a soccer fan who felt that it was the best game on Earth and he wanted merely to confirm his own prejudice by dressing it up as a scientific theory. 

Having said that, I share the same prejudice about soccer's dullness being a factor in crowd violence!!  :-X

Reply #13
Gladiator fights must have been really boring :)

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/gladiators/pompeii.html

"About this time [AD 59] there was a serious fight between the inhabitants of two Roman settlements, Nuceria and Pompeii. It arose out of a trifling incident at a gladiatorial show....During an exchange of taunts—characteristic of these disorderly country towns—abuse led to stone-throwing, and then swords were drawn. The people of Pompeii, where the show was held, came off best. Many wounded and mutilated Nucerians were taken to the capital. Many bereavements, too, were suffered by parents and children. The emperor instructed the senate to investigate the affair. The senate passed it to the consuls. When they reported back, the senate debarred Pompeii from holding any similar gathering for ten years. Illegal associations in the town were dissolved; and the sponsor of the show and his fellow-instigators of the disorders were exiled."

Reply #14
There's a simple one word explanation for it IMO - "tribalism" - with all due respect one of our illustrious mods.
Reality always wins in the end.