Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 13 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Essendon (Read 2616 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 13 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #45
Changes in momentum in games can often be traced back to a single event or two.
I think we lost the plot a bit after starting the third quarter well...and then Durdin had a couple of shots that missed.

From that point we started to see little things creep in, some flashy plays that didn't quite come off, Harry going for a mark one-handed (not hugely important in the scheme of things, but not a full hearted effort), the intensity at the contest slacking off and Essendon being harder at the ball.

I've seen in other places (not so much on here) some suggestions that the Voss blast at three quarter time was not effective...even a bit over the top.
Folks point to the fact that we didn't score goals in the last quarter as a failed response.
That's not correct.

Once momentum is lost it's sometimes as hard to turn around as a cruise liner.
The first step is to arrest that momentum and break even at the contests.
That was achieved successfully throughout that last quarter and in the end that margin was comfortable.
Carlton sides over the last decade would rarely have been able to halt that momentum.

The three quarter 'pep talk' was effective.
I'm pretty sure there will be some reinforcement through the week...albeit a bit more measured.  ;) ;D

Reply #46
Voss is the coach ... fully entitled to blast the group as he sees fit

Reply #47
Changes in momentum in games can often be traced back to a single event or two.
I think we lost the plot a bit after starting the third quarter well...and then Durdin had a couple of shots that missed.

From that point we started to see little things creep in, some flashy plays that didn't quite come off, Harry going for a mark one-handed (not hugely important in the scheme of things, but not a full hearted effort), the intensity at the contest slacking off and Essendon being harder at the ball.

I've seen in other places (not so much on here) some suggestions that the Voss blast at three quarter time was not effective...even a bit over the top.
Folks point to the fact that we didn't score goals in the last quarter as a failed response.
That's not correct.

Once momentum is lost it's sometimes as hard to turn around as a cruise liner.
The first step is to arrest that momentum and break even at the contests.
That was achieved successfully throughout that last quarter and in the end that margin was comfortable.
Carlton sides over the last decade would rarely have been able to halt that momentum.

The three quarter 'pep talk' was effective.
I'm pretty sure there will be some reinforcement through the week...albeit a bit more measured.  ;) ;D
I think Browny and Lyon reckon they could pick the moment that would have riled Voss. They suspect it was the moment Cripps swung onto his left foot and bombed it in long to a nothing contest instead of looking for a runner going passed to start a chain. I remember it and tend to agree, at the time I thought to myself another no look kick to no1inparticular,
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Essendon were up about 10 to 2 in centre clearances in the first half. 

Getting Marchbank back was great and Young keeps getting better.

Having Marchbank, Curnow and Cripps free from injury has been a great bonus for us this year and on top of the development of some of the players as well as getting in Cerra, and Hewitt it is no wonder we have improved. 
Midfield clearances were really down on the night - Cerra missing and Kennedy quiet - which really put our defenders under the pump so not surprising that so many of our defenders were amongst our better players including Newnes, who made major contributions in defence and in forward delivery like a good winger should - one of the better games I have seen from him and one of the reasons why Dow (whose defensive efforts are more akin to our former skipper) can't get a game if he doesn't have a role in the centre square.

Also impressed by the fact that we were able to set up most of our scoring from defense, rather than being so reliant on centre clearances.

TDK struggled against tag-team opponents who were athletic enough to match or better his leap - but he still kept giving.

Reply #49
Also impressed by the fact that we were able to set up most of our scoring from defense, rather than being so reliant on centre clearances.

This is the take home message from our game.

All year we have won games through the middle. Early on Pittonet was dominating and giving us first use.
He goes down and TDK 'breaks even' and our mids do the rest.
We were soundly beaten from the centre on Friday, and even without our #1 (Weitering), #2 (McDonald), #3 (McGovern) we were still able to not only hold our own down back, but win the game from there.

That shows a big evolution in our game from week 1.

There are quite a few 'rolling AA teams' on the go. Most of which have had Weitering in there. More and more of them are featuring Docherty in there as well. Considering many of us were trying to work out who we would draft with the long term injury spot he would open up on our list this year, it is a miraculous comeback to form. FWIW, i'd have Saad pretty close to AA selection too.

Reply #50
Apparently 20% above the AFL average in scores from defence.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #51
Won't get any easier for TDK this week either with Nankervis/Soldo.

Reply #52
Won't get any easier for TDK this week either with Nankervis/Soldo.
Nank is one of the best cheap shot artists in the caper, been giving away some dumb free kicks since he has been captain but he does give the Tigers some physical presence and has a habit of kicking handy goals.
Big Ivan has probably improved from his early days when he was a real stiff, for some reason he reminds me of Warren Jones, the Mo and lumbering awkward style perhaps. He doesnt seem to dominate the ruck but doesnt let the opposition dominate either, hoping its a dry track and TDK/Jack can lope around and be more effective at ground level..