Skip to main content
Topic: Chickens have come home to roost-bring back Justin Cordy (Read 11557 times) previous topic - next topic

Chickens have come home to roost-bring back Justin Cordy

Sorry…guys I posted this warning 2 years back when we got Buttifant as the steak knives in the MM deal…when I spoke to a senior Collingwood playing coaching staff  member at the time he said that they were happy to see the back of DF..reckons they were 6 months behind other AFL clubs for fitness at the time and had to double the workload for 3 months in that offseason to get the list up to the required level…we were great at good 4th Qtrs under Ratts despite our skill deficiencies and almost made a Prelim after that shocker no free v Tex Walker in Perth……..cant be unfit and have no skills=17th spot 1 and 5……..players way too soft…Gibbs and Murphy 2 touches Q4…no correlation?…..I reckon we are majorly unfit…Thoughts?

Re: Chickens have come home to roost-bring back Justin Cordy

Reply #1
Collingwood were so fit in 2010 and 2011 that there were all sorts of rumours that they were on PEDs.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
I don't know Gags10. It could be a case of not being fit. We definitely haven't got the skill and some of this problem is in the players self belief and confidence. They do appear slower immediately after the first quarter in ever game I have watched. It gets worse after half time. I don't know if it is between the ears, and the players give up hope. I don't know if the players are not interested in the contest and even winning games. However I don't feel the players are as fit as they could be. a lack of fitness will see fatigue sink in early and that can have a serious effect on skill levels. Which do drop off early in a match. A lack of fitness do to fatigue will effect confidence too. You might have a valid point. It is definitely something I would want to have addressed at the club if we are to rebuild. No stones can be left unturned. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #3
The fact that MM brought in DB whiley and daisy, and probably kept the status quo on the assistants, does bode well for a case granting him an extension
The club appears to have given MM free reign and it hasn't worked. Its actually got worse and getting worse by the minute

Reply #4
I'm convinced we're not fit enough but it's not the only issue. Just one of many.

The fact that we came home strong at the end of last season after everyone had match fitness is probably evidence enough.

Reply #5
Just look at the games.

Running on the spot after a 1.5 quarters.

Buttifant may have been a guru in 2010 but that may as well be 50 years ago.

I also don't discount the PED stuff. 2 pies players caught , who do they learn from. The drug testers followed Swan everywhere remember? Can't get a kick, goes to US for a month and comes back a champ.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #6
I have recollection that in his early/mid time at CFC, Cordy was seen as the messiah. We were one of the fittest around and although we were tripe footballers, we occasionally ran over teams in heroic comebacks thanks to fitness.
I seem to remember though that towards the end of his time we had some injury and fitness issues that lead to some questioning of Cordy. I have neither the time nor inclination to look for any corroborating evidence, but just wondering if anyone else remembers that? (please leave the rose coloured retrospectoscope off)

Reply #7
When you're losing and bereft of spirit you always look slow and unfit.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
When you're slow and unfit you also look slow and unfit.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
We finished the cheats.com.au game full of run. It aint fitness. It's between the lugholes and in the ticker.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #10
We finished the cheats.com.au game full of run. It aint fitness. It's between the lugholes and in the ticker.

And they are the only side whose fitness is in question and have dropped off considerably in the second half early in the season. So I don't think that's a good example to use.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #11
And they are the only side whose fitness is in question and have dropped off considerably in the second half early in the season. So I don't think that's a good example to use.

Exactly.

.........and look at how the game panned out.

Competitive for a quarter and a half then we fall away with intensity which is our method.

Essendon hard at it for 3 quarters before hitting the wall, just like they have all year.

The only games that haven't followed the script is us V the Saints . Why? I don't think it we anywhere near the opening intensity we had in other games.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #12
I don't think we're unfit, we just don't have enough good runners.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #13
When you're losing and bereft of spirit you always look slow and unfit.
Our fitness levels do look a bit better this year than last. We do not appear to be falling away as significantly in last quarters due to not being able to compete. Against St. Kilda we even came home strongly.

That does not say that we are fit enough. I don't think we are. However, we are not as bad as he have been in recent years.

Under Cordy we were significantly fitter compared to our competitors for the first couple of seasons. Then we fell away very badly very quickly. I can understand why the questions were being asked.
Cordy appears to be having a similar effect at Collingwood. The question is, can he keep it up? Last year Port were clearly the fittest team going around. It won them games. This year many of the others have caught up and passed Port: they have been run over a few times this season so far.
If we replace Buttifant, we may see some change for a while. But in the long term? Not so sure. I'd be willing to give him a go for a bit longer. But, like many aspects of our club at present, I would be looking at him and evaluating our progress.

But, as Baggers pointed out, when you are beaten in your head, when your will to win disappears and the self belief is missing, you naturally look slower and weaker. At the moment we are lacking self belief, so our skill levels and fitness look as bad as they can look. If we start winning and the self belief turns around, we will look fitter and stronger. Self belief and desire take you a long way. I would be evaluating Buttifant when we show some self belief and desire: it will make the evaluation more realistic.

However, with Malthouse looking like he will finish up at the end of the season, our new coach may have his own plans for the fitness department. Buttifant may not be among those plans. Many coaches bring in their own preferred fitness guru as a part of their program. As such we may not see if Buttifant is the right man or not. Like Malthouse he will be evaluated by the end of this year, be it reasonable or otherwise.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
Moving away from coach appointed lackeys to appointments by the Football Manager is a huge opportunity for us to jump ahead of what other clubs are doing. Does Macca have those skills though?