Skip to main content
Topic: Clem Smith altercation  (Read 19827 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Clem Smith altercation

Reply #15
Strike 1.

Hope he learns.

Spot on, while disappointed that this happened in the 1st place, the next best thing is that Smith learns from it and never repeats.

A good, honest, professional response from the club too, gets a tick from me.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #16
Obviously things like this should be avoided but...
I see this at this time in our clubs "reset" as great timing.
This challenges the new hierarchy and Boltons leadership and standards.
BB has come down hard and so the standard has be set.
Clem will learn and move on, as will the other players, the club has handled it well.
Reprimanded him but has also brought him back into the fold to care for him. Just like a family would.
Those of you asking he be cut loose are way off the mark. BB is instilling the...
 If you succeed then let's celebrate it but if you f$@k up then LEARN from it mantra.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #17
Very disappointing to hear about this however I'd like to get all the facts before passing judgement.

Reply #18
That's not surprising.  It would have been a "shame job" for Smith and he would have felt a lot less uncomfortable with another Noongar.

He probably would have felt less uncomfortable with less piss in him! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
It sounds as though the club has handled this sensibly.

Nowhere near as serious as the Ninthmond fiasco.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #20
Cut him loose now, pay his contract out. You either have standards or you don't

I think you give him another chance but that was a bizarre comment from Trigg: We don't tolerate this behaviour, except we will.

Reply #21
Disappointed he came off second best in the altercation and the fact he was there in the first place......he will either learn something and never do it again or be delisted if he does...lets give the kid another chance as I like his attack on the footy and his tackling...
The club seemed to have handled it ok ...season cant start quick enough I reckon, players are getting bored already...

Agreed, a 2nd year player on the piss during the pre-season, like he needs any more obstacles to make it as a player! He's barely cutting the mustard as it stands!

And coming after all those reports of an improved atmosphere at the club, the pessimist in me detects more spin!

Now the paranoid, why is a Nthmond player rescuing a Carlton player just days after the Dusty events emerged? Was the kid lured out on the piss? Not an excuse, he has free will, but hard to imagine any AFL player could make such a mistake voluntarily just days after the Martin incident!

Finally, you have to wonder why Caro's Rage goes front page with this story, headlining above the Martin police investigation, and the Hun doesn't even bother to report Clem's adventure yet, or at least it seems to have pulled it's version for now! Perhaps the balance Caro had to strike in the Dusty story left a bitter taste in her mouth for which the front page potting of a Carlton player was the only cure!

The Rage boosting this Clem story is using The Fly reporting technique. The Fly saw a massive pile of Rhino crap(Dusty) and while zig zagging on route to the Rhino crap nirvana it got distracted by a bird dropping(Clem)!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Now the paranoid, why is a Nthmond player rescuing a Carlton player just days after the Dusty events emerged? Was the kid lured out on the piss? Not an excuse, he has free will, but hard to imagine any AFL player could make such a mistake voluntarily just days after the Martin incident!

Both incidents happened on Saturday night . . .
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #23
@LP

It's not that we're paranoid LP, it's just that everyone's out to get us.  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24
Stop being a wet blanket, DJC.  Don't let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory!

Reply #25
Agreed, a 2nd year player on the piss during the pre-season, like he needs any more obstacles to make it as a player! He's barely cutting the mustard as it stands!

And coming after all those reports of an improved atmosphere at the club, the pessimist in me detects more spin!

Finally, you have to wonder why Caro's Rage goes front page with this story, headlining above the Martin police investigation, and the Hun doesn't even bother to report Clem's adventure yet, or at least it seems to have pulled it's version for now! Perhaps the balance Caro had to strike in the Dusty story left a bitter taste in her mouth for which the front page potting of a Carlton player was the only cure!

The Rage boosting this Clem story is using The Fly reporting technique. The Fly saw a massive pile of Rhino crap(Dusty) and while zig zagging on route to the Rhino crap nirvana it got distracted by a bird dropping(Clem)!

I'm guessing Yarran is a close friend hence came and got him. You can have friends outside your club. Yarran's last game was for Carlton anyway. Your friends don't even have to play football. Martin and Smith transgressed on the same night, it wasn't after.

19yo's are, well, 19yo's. All been 19. That won't change because they are play AFL football. Some are immature and make mistakes. From here though you learn from that mistake. I'm sure Bolton's foot clean up his arse and the fine that's coming will help that learning along. One mistake we can handle, especially for a kid, a second mistake we don't tolerate quite as easily. If he does it again he'd want to be play some real good footy otherwise he will be playing elsewhere, likely in the WAFL.

Reply #26
Cut him loose now, pay his contract out. You either have standards or you don't

Standards need to be consistent though. Would you delist Patrick Cripps if he did the same thing? I dare say not. Punishment should fit the crime. Clem's made a poor choice, but he's also a 19 year old boy and he'll (hopefully) learn from this. If this becomes a pattern of behaviour, then you intervene with a harsher penalty. But you need to give a kid a chance to learn first.

Reply #27
Standards need to be consistent though. Would you delist Patrick Cripps if he did the same thing? I dare say not. Punishment should fit the crime. Clem's made a poor choice, but he's also a 19 year old boy and he'll (hopefully) learn from this. If this becomes a pattern of behaviour, then you intervene with a harsher penalty. But you need to give a kid a chance to learn first.

Amen. For some to suggest he should be delisted as a result of this, especially when none of us know the full story, is beyond stupidity.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
He's 19 ffs, he got pissed and got in a fight - wonder how many other 19 year olds did exactly the same thing that weekend.

Not good but everyone, especially young men, screw up from time to time. How could you possible call for him to be delisted for that now? Altho I do wonder what effect Yaz not being at CfC will have on Clem.

Let's hope he learnt his lesson and decides to go to the gym rather than the pub!