Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain (Read 42429 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 3: Carlton vs Gold Coast: Post Game Pain

Reply #121
If you can't see the structure and fluency we have with and without the ball then I give up talking football with people.

When we win the ball, we have loose players, chains of handballs, run and spread, it's just that we have too many players who a dumb enough to pick the right target or not good enough to execute.

Our fitness is suffering as we are very much competitive for most of the game, but when we get chances at goals we fluff them. Must hurt.

Last night was not good, but Gold Coast are 3-0 and will be tough to win up there.

Stay the course, if you can't see the improvement in the way we play, then follow something else. We need to start bringing In many of the guys mentioned to see what they can do, because good players are like Jacob Weitering.

I feel sorry for him alreadyz

Agree with all this Shades.

Reply #122
Honourable losses were unacceptable under Malthouse but now they are? Get out of here!
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #123
Before the start of the match most would name our top 5 ranked players as Murphy, Cripps, Gibbs, Kruezer and probably and sadly Thomas.

None of them IMO came close to playing to their capacity.  We played a likely finalist in heat At their home. Considering they kicked the last 6 of the match, while never looking likely we stayed within touch until the last.

Ablett lynch and their better players played well. Ours didn't. Under MM this would have ended in a 90 point drubbing.

Im disappointed but we have a lot of newbies including a young coach and we need to except this is where we are at. So many on here go on and on about trading out established players for early picks as the only way to go - then are the first to complain when we look like we have gone backwards 3 games into a new season  :o. Then add in those who want Walker and Everett gone and then complain we no forward structure when more senior players are swapped for kids.

Can't have it both ways.

A bit of perspective needed.

Reply #124
Graham lacks a yard of pace and lacks the instant vision of the class slow mids ie Mitchell, Diesel....he takes a long look before he gets rid of the footy and gets tackled.
His skills by hand and foot are ok IMO and he can hit a target but unless he can get rid of the footy quicker he will be always be promising but never quite there...

I'd say that's fair enough but that will develop with experience.

However if we had Josh Kennedy and a Jake Stringer down forward you look more cohesive and those players demand the footy more which makes players like Graham thought process more simple....at the moment he looks up and its a dogs breakfast in terms of moving quality targets and I can understand why he would be hesitant to release the ball....

And he has shown when there is a target available he hits it. A few times he went inside 50m last night and he only had stationary targets to kick to.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #125
Honourable losses were unacceptable under Malthouse but now they are? Get out of here!

Your mate Mick set us back years with his gutting of the list and pissing off of players. What we have now (or what we don't have) is down to him. Not Bolton's fault he has been here all of 2 minutes, Mick inherited a much better squad and destroyed it. So in short, yes, considering what he has been left with by his predecessor, honourable losses are acceptable.

I'll tell ya what we'd absolutely kill for a Laidler down back.....or a Betts up forward? Or maybe a quick forward of the ilk of Jeff Garlett.

2013-2015 happened. ;D
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #126
So many on here go on and on about trading out established players for early picks as the only way to go - then are the first to complain when we look like we have gone backwards 3 games into a new season  :o. Then add in those who want Walker and Everett gone and then complain we no forward structure when more senior players are swapped for kids.

If you can't see the damage Everitt is doing when he is out there I give up.

If your established players are playing nowhere near their potential it's a no brainer to trade them out.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #127
@Shawny

You're right mate, we do need to maintain perspective.

However, we have to realise that many of our senior players are now, in effect, just holding the fort whilst we develop the future. Most will be gone by the time we become a serious threat for the premiership. Several will likely go after this year.

We must therefore judge them in the light of that, and judge the team as a whole as an incubator for future talent. After last night I believe we currently have three serious prospects for the future in Weitering, Cripps and C. Curnow.

The rest, apart from the likely retirees, so far look at best to be mainly the foot soldiers to carry us through the development phase. From these ranks may emerge some more good future prospects e.g. Plowman who we have yet to see play senior football or Boekhorst who shows some promise at this stage. MacKay and others will also start to emerge this year hopefully.

The likes of Murph and Gibbs are also footsoldiers IMO, albeit senior ones who we must look to replace with the leadership for the future as soon as possible, even if they remain at the club as players for what remains of their careers.

It's a long process!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #128
I understand all the arguments with regards to patience, and a new coach bringing new ideas, players adapting to a new game plan.... and young players needing time to develop....green shoots etc

I understand them because I've heard and seen them for the last 15 years.

So while I accept that Bolton needs a chance to prove that this time is different..... I'm convinced of nothing until we actually get results.(Been burnt too many times)

If you go through our list and ask yourself who is playing better  than they were last year, you'll struggle to find many, and a lot have gone backwards.....
While the style of play is different (and perhaps a bit more attractive) the scoreboard results certainly aren't.

Last year after 3 rounds we'd kicked 224 points..... this year 195
Our percentage was 65.7 this year 61.3.

It's much too early to make solid judgements and there is a positiveness about the place that things will get better.
But you have to start showing some solid evidence because positive talk quickly evaporates if the results don't come.

Reply #129
I understand all the arguments with regards to patience, and a new coach bringing new ideas, players adapting to a new game plan.... and young players needing time to develop....green shoots etc

So while I accept that Bolton needs a chance to prove that this time is different..... I'm convinced of nothing until we actually get results.(Been burnt too many times)

If you go through our list and ask yourself who is playing better  than they were last year, you'll struggle to find many, and a lot have gone backwards.....
While the style of play is different (and perhaps a bit more attractive) the scoreboard results certainly aren't.

It's much too early to make solid judgements and there is a positiveness about the place that things will get better.
But you have to start showing some solid evidence because positive talk quickly evaporates if the results don't come.

Too true.

The biggest improvement have come in the form of blokes who weren't on our list last year. Recruits (Kerridge, Wright) and draftees (Weitering, Curnofides).

Sadly, at this stage at least, the ones we need to improve Casboult, Everitt, Gibbs, Murphy....have all stagnated if not gone backwards.

Reply #130
If you can't see the damage Everitt is doing when he is out there I give up.

If your established players are playing nowhere near their potential it's a no brainer to trade them out.

Are you going to b!tch about it later on when you say we've traded out all our goal kickers??

Funny stat, all our leading goalkickers from 2002 onwards have left to play elsewhere except 2.
1. Walker
2. Everitt

This includes, McKernan, Fevola, Waite, Betts, Garlett.....doesn't even include Kennedy!

Reply #131
No one is saying Bolton is going to make it are they?

I told you guys we went way too early with the fluff 30 minutes documentary a few weeks back lol.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #132

I agree in principle with your post, but the bit in bold is crucial - it is, as you say, far too early make any judgments, but what amount of time is the right time to start making calls ?

Reply #133
Are you going to b!tch about it later on when you say we've traded out all our goal kickers??

I don't see Everitt as even just a player, he's a poonce, bloke doesn't like touching people and is playing professional football. If you are talking about Betts and co, they were more than just goalkickers. It's insulting to even compare them to Everitt.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #134
Too true.

The biggest improvement have come in the form of blokes who weren't on our list last year. Recruits (Kerridge, Wright) and draftees (Weitering, Curnofides).

Sadly, at this stage at least, the ones we need to improve Casboult, Everitt, Gibbs, Murphy....have all stagnated if not gone backwards.

I think that by now we have already seen the best that these guys can offer. There could be some marginal improvement but that's about it AFAIC. As they say in the classics, "Don't hold yer breath".
Reality always wins in the end.