Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Post Game Intensive Analysis: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 19283 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Post Game Intensive Analysis: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #15
He might as well have said that if they had another half dozen serious footballers they'd be OK, he was just pissing in our pocket.
Burgoyne killed us and we were lucky Gunston didn't have his kicking boots on for once, there's still a wide gulf between us and the best and we can't bridge it by busting our guts.
We need some genuine skill ASAP.

Yep
19 points
That would have been 13 if not for an atrocious kick out from Docherty
Opposition players have talked positively about us for the last three weeks in post game comments.
We're sadly lacking in the forward department at the moment but we're not miles off.
Those close losses this year will be wins in 12 months time.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-30/match-report-hawthorn-v-carlton

The stats backed the Blues in every regard except precision in front of goal.

Reply #16
Yep
19 points
That would have been 13 if not for an atrocious kick out from Docherty
Opposition players have talked positively about us for the last three weeks in post game comments.
We're sadly lacking in the forward department at the moment but we're not miles off.
Those close losses this year will be wins in 12 months time.

Agree. A long way to go but we are on the right track, building on our defence. The next drafting and trading periods are all important.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
He might as well have said that if they had another half dozen serious footballers they'd be OK, he was just pissing in our pocket.
Burgoyne killed us and we were lucky Gunston didn't have his kicking boots on for once, there's still a wide gulf between us and the best and we can't bridge it by busting our guts.
We need some genuine skill ASAP.

He's not that wrong. With better run and execution we won 6 out of 7, admittedly against sides at our level, excluding Geelong, and made life tough for others. We are a few midfielders short, which hopefully we can sort in the next draft or two. We are in the first year of a rebuild so you'd expect we'd be a bit down on the best. There's signs with a few more additions we can be a serious side.

We might eek out 8-9 wins with our run home from here.

Reply #18
We're streets ahead of where we were last year with many of our younger players with lots of positive development to come.
We've been competitive with some of the best sides in the competition in recent weeks.
You can't help but be positive about that.

Reply #19
Agree. A long way to go but we are on the right track, building on our defence. The next drafting and trading periods are all important.

Plus the snap from Krooz (from 5m out) and the dribble from the boundary by the Hawks. Argh!
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #20
He's not that wrong. With better run and execution we won 6 out of 7, admittedly against sides at our level, excluding Geelong, and made life tough for others. We are a few midfielders short, which hopefully we can sort in the next draft or two. We are in the first year of a rebuild so you'd expect we'd be a bit down on the best. There's signs with a few more additions we can be a serious side.

8 or 9 and I'm happy with the season even if two of them are freebees and another two are close to it, at least we aren't dead set easybeats any more.
That said our general skills are poor and there's only Murphy, Curnow and Byrne to add that will improve them, I think Walker's done and dusted.
We've just got too many players with unreliable foot skills, but we have a crack these days at least.
It's the best attitude at the club since we were a good side back in the late 90's, if we had three or four seriously good kids waiting in the wings I'd be very excited.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #21
Two things I am fairly sure of:
1. This year was all about defence, defence and more defence. Fwd line, meh!
2. We were aiming to be competitive with out compromising obtaining a low draft pick.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
8 or 9 and I'm happy with the season even if two of them are freebees and another two are close to it, at least we aren't dead set easybeats any more.
That said our general skills are poor and there's only Murphy, Curnow and Byrne to add that will improve them, I think Walker's done and dusted.
We've just got too many players with unreliable foot skills, but we have a crack these days at least.
It's the best attitude at the club since we were a good side back in the late 90's, if we had three or four seriously good kids waiting in the wings I'd be very excited.

We might see McKay in the next couple of weeks. He'll take a couple of years but thinking he'll be pretty useful at least next year at least. I'm happy that we've been able to beat sides at our level, all you can ask at this stage of our development.

Things could be worse, we could be Richmond...lol.

Reply #23
Things could be worse, we could be Richmond...lol.

True, but Richmond's sad story doesn't give me as much pleasure as it used to, we've been a basket case for so long I've forgotten how to gloat.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #24
True, but Richmond's sad story doesn't give me as much pleasure as it used to, we've been a basket case for so long I've forgotten how to gloat.

Practice your gloating just in case. If you're going to be a good gloater when the time comes one has to practice..lol

Reply #25
Shame we don't play Richmond again ;D

Reply #26
I forgot Daisy, I still can't get my head around him as a Carlton player.
Murphy, Thomas, Byrne and Charlie Curnow would make a real difference, but we'll always have some injuries.
We need a skillful, quick midfielder and a key forward at a bare minimum.

Reply #27
I forgot Daisy, I still can't get my head around him as a Carlton player.
Murphy, Thomas, Byrne and Charlie Curnow would make a real difference, but we'll always have some injuries.
We need a skillful, quick midfielder and a key forward at a bare minimum.

We hope we're developing the key forward. Two of them.

Reply #28
Usual story.... If we had some system and nous in forward half we would have won this convincingly.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #29

X 2. Well said

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.