Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Post Game Intensive Analysis: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 19569 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Post Game Intensive Analysis: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #45
Where can we buy this depth? At the Trade & Draft store ? We better stop buying at the $2 shops first

Reply #47
Thanks for the report Ray!

I thought that Kerridge did a reasonable job on Mitchell but we really do need more from the second stringers in the midfield rotation or perhaps it's just more capable second stringers.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #48
Great stuff Tassy Devil.

I've watched the replay twice now and although it aint the same as actually being there, it is painfully obvious that our midfield lacks depth and our forwards the same. When Sumner, Wright, Buckley, Graham, Everitt, Kerridge can't get a game in the seniors then we'll be on the right track. Just the inclusion of Murphy and a fit Daisy into yesterday's side and we come very close to winning... would have beaten Swans and Eagles with those two up and firing. (mind you I do think that Sumner will make it ...just obvious he's struggling now fitness wise - will benefit greatly from a full pre-season and proper fitness and Kerridge is developing into a strong run with/lockdown type... but his disposal!!!).

Agree that Boekhorst really showed glimpses yesterday, you had the feeling that when the ball is in his hands something good will happen.

Great that the NBs are on the teev live this morning. Be really interesting to see how Lamb, Cuningham, McKay, McCasker and Gorringe perform (looks like the club has consigned Jones, Jaksch, Gower, Dick, Wood, Tutt, Foster, Rainbow and probably Whiley to another place next year).

Agree with another poster that Weitering looks timid. Seems to be relying on talent and judgement at the minute with less than required intent. Of recent times the only time I've seen him really seen him seem to enjoy his footy was when he was given the forward line gig.

Kudos has to be given to Gibbs, Simpson, Rowe, Cripps, Curnow E , Docherty and White who are leading well and holding the place together at present.

Boekhorst would be on my delist list......was running towards a contested ball and Kaidan Brand from Hawthorn was the player coming the other way and Boekhorst put the anchors out
and pulled up......not good enough and not for the 1st time he has done that either.....players like this wont take us far and he has to go IMO...

Reply #49

Boekhorst would be on my delist list......was running towards a contested ball and Kaidan Brand from Hawthorn was the player coming the other way and Boekhorst put the anchors out
and pulled up......not good enough and not for the 1st time he has done that either.....players like this wont take us far and he has to go IMO...

I was surprised by how willing BB was to get into the hard stuff, I didn't see him shirk an issue (mind you I was standing on the hill on the 50m line and struggled with the other side of the ground). Plenty to delist before Boekhurst though.

Reply #50
Simple we need 2 mids that can run / pace spread  and I think we are to slow , how many sides this yr have carved us up with there pace for easy goals .

Reply #51

If AFL Player Ratings are anything to go by, he was our best. ???

Reply #52
Great stuff Tassy Devil.

Agree with another poster that Weitering looks timid. Seems to be relying on talent and judgement at the minute with less than required intent. Of recent times the only time I've seen him really seen him seem to enjoy his footy was when he was given the forward line gig.

Some weeks ago I was severely criticized when I said that Weitering 'dropped his head' a few times.  Now his timidity is showing out further and others are seeing it.

Reply #53
Maybe tired after a long season, but doesn't seem the same confidence and surety at times. Hard to judge in the pressure zone where he is. A lot to ask off a first year player , still glad we have him

Reply #54
I was surprised by how willing BB was to get into the hard stuff, I didn't see him shirk an issue (mind you I was standing on the hill on the 50m line and struggled with the other side of the ground). Plenty to delist before Boekhurst though.

After watching the NB's there sure is plenty to delist...the Werribee/Nth team had way more talent, if you have rubbish in the twos you will never ever generate enough competition for spots and build depth.
We just move deckchairs each week and rely on Cripps, Simpson, Docherty etc  to cover for all these duds we have acquired....

Reply #55
If AFL Player Ratings are anything to go by, he was our best. ???

Quite clearly they're not - some bizarre rankings in that lot  ???

I'd put Boekhorst in our best ten players.  I didn't see him shirk a contest and thought his attack on the ball was good.  He does need to improve and hit the scoreboard more if he is going to be a regular player.

And, while I think of it, Docherty had a dirty day by his lofty standards but did Sumner, Plowman, Phillips and Boekhorst play better?  I don't think so!

McEvoy had four hitouts to advantage, seven disposals and kicked a goal and he's rated third.  What garbage!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #56
A few posts suggesting if this and that happened then there is a different result.

It's sliding doors.  We have no idea what happens if a few of our ifs land (eg goals kicked/Docherty stuff up), because from the that point on the game would be different. Hawthorn would say the same - they missed sitters and stuffed up as well.

Reply #57
Quite clearly they're not - some bizarre rankings in that lot  ???

I'd put Boekhorst in our best ten players.  I didn't see him shirk a contest and thought his attack on the ball was good.  He does need to improve and hit the scoreboard more if he is going to be a regular player.

And, while I think of it, Docherty had a dirty day by his lofty standards but did Sumner, Plowman, Phillips and Boekhorst play better?  I don't think so!

McEvoy had four hitouts to advantage, seven disposals and kicked a goal and he's rated third.  What garbage!

Re Boekhurst, well we know he can do it - hit the scoreboard. Just need the team to control the  more ans use it better, collectively.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
Thanks Raydan. Bloody good report.

I don't think Weitering is timid, but I think his body is pretty sore. He has copped a few hard ones and his body is not fully developed yet.
He needs a couple of weeks off.

Agree re the mids too. We need some bigger bodies in there. Steele and Crouch would be a start.

Also need a KPF.
Jack and Charlie will be good but aren't big enough to be the main target for the next 10+ years.
Harry . . . . well we don't know. But he is still very young, underdeveloped and will need a couple of seasons to get anywhere near his top if he does make it.

Afterall, we are in the early stage of a major overhaul which is going to take longer than a lot of posters on here realize.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #59
Maybe tired after a long season, but doesn't seem the same confidence and surety at times. Hard to judge in the pressure zone where he is. A lot to ask off a first year player , still glad we have him

Also wrapped to have him but although he might have a wise head on young shoulders, he's still a kid with a young man's emotions (although he may seem mature beyond his years) and a young body. When he went forward recently and kicked his second goal his face lit up like a Christmas tree - reward for effort, and he needs a little more of this (reward for effort). Yes, he's going to have to learn to play through and with hurt but let's not do to him what we did to Kreuz.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17