Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2017 (Read 14842 times) previous topic - next topic

Australian Open 2017

I have missed the Sheik's Stosur spray this time round but the Aussies seem to be doing OK.

I'm not a great tennis watcher but I don't mind a close game ... or a one-sided game when one of the young Aussies is doing well and it was great to see Ash Barty win again after her brief flirtation with cricket.  She seems to have settled down to life as a tennis professional.

One thing that struck me about Bernard Tomic's game tonight was that his opponent, Victor Estrella Burgos, had run one kilometre more than Bernard before they got to the fourth set tiebreaker.  That's an incredible difference for a game played on a small court.  Tomic seems to be a master at conserving energy.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Australian Open 2017

Reply #1
DJC I thought Bernie was very composed and very smart the way he played. I hope the bloke has turned the corner from an attitude point of view.

As for that flog Kyrios, what an embarrassment he was last night. Did himself and his family a great disservice. He has two choices:
1. Get your crap and feck off and go lay on a beach somewhere and give professional sport away or
2. Give the team around you the ass (including that idiot brother of yours) and get a professional coach (a hard ass) and fitness team around you.

The guy has all the tools to be no. 1 but unfortunately, he is a tool!!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
I have missed the Sheik's Stosur spray this time round but the Aussies seem to be doing OK.

I'm not a great tennis watcher but I don't mind a close game ... or a one-sided game when one of the young Aussies is doing well and it was great to see Ash Barty win again after her brief flirtation with cricket.  She seems to have settled down to life as a tennis professional.

One thing that struck me about Bernard Tomic's game tonight was that his opponent, Victor Estrella Burgos, had run one kilometre more than Bernard before they got to the fourth set tiebreaker.  That's an incredible difference for a game played on a small court.  Tomic seems to be a master at conserving energy.

Not worth commenting on Kyrgios.

Tomic? Grossly unfit, laughable. 70 unforced errors......that's Stosuresque!!

Who coaches him/. All he needed to do was attack that guy's backhand, open up the court and it would have been all over in 75 minutes.

Both these guys are very problematic, albeit talented.

Did anyone watch the fast 40 thing the other week - Tomic was playing Thiem. Tomic was stuffed after two games! (albeit he won that particular match)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #3
Kyrgios is a lazy fatar5e flog who bullied his way in to tennis off the back of a tricky serve and not much else.

The people paying to watch him are nothing for the 50c voyeurs justifying their pathetic existence as sports lovers. Kyrgios is the modern equivalent of the Elephant Man Freak Show from the late 19th century. I expect they are the same people who roll up to car crashes, train wrecks and bush fires to take a selfie. If they had any dignity they would have left the arena shouting for a refund on the way out!

Somebody needs to tell Kyrgios success doesn't come wrapped up like a souvlaki, he deserves nothing and probably needs to be stripped of everything before he gets the message. He is making Jelena Dokic and her family look exceptionally rational!

What sort of sport breeds these parasites, tennis needs a good hard look at itself?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
Kyrios is a lazy fatar5e flog who bullied his way in to tennis off the back of a tricky serve and not much else.

The people paying to watch him are nothing for the 50c voyeurs justifying their pathetic existence as sports lovers. Kyrios is the modern equivalent of the Elephant Man Freak Show from the late 19th century. I expect they are the same people who roll up to car crashes, train wrecks and bush fires to take a selfie. If they had any dignity they would have left the arena shouting for a refund on the way out!

Somebody needs to tell Kyrios success doesn't come wrapped up like a souvlaki, he deserves nothing and probably needs to be stripped of everything before he gets the message. He is making Jelena Dokic and her family look exceptionally rational!

What sort of sport breeds these parasites, tennis needs a good hard look at itself?

So, reading between the lines, can I assume you're not entirely impressed with Kyrios...  ;) :)  (Ps I totally agree).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #5
I reckon Kyrgios (like Tomic and plenty of other young sportsmen before him) has been overly scrutinised to the point where every misstep they make actually is received so poorly by the media it's detrimental to their development.

I watched the end of the 4th and the 5th set, and a bit more luck, he would have come through that 5 and won.  It was clear to anyone watching that he was not in great physical condition.  The irony is not lost on me that Novak Djokovic looked similarly out of sorts physically against Verdasco the other night.

Just on the physical conditioning, he cant be that much of a slouch to go 3 hours+ in one match, and take the 5th set to 10-8.

Sure, he cost himself an easier win by not being focussed enough when it mattered in the 3rd, but I think that a lot has been taken away from Seppi and placed onto Kyrgios who is like almost every other 21 year old figuring out that talent will only get you part of the way there and that you have to do almost everything right to really kick on and go next level.

He seemed to be extremely negative towards himself after the match in the press conference, and you could tell that he is starting to wake up.  I don't believe now is the time to play the man too hard, and am dissapointed to see the massive backlash after his opponent had to save match point in the 5th with some excellent tennis.  Sure it shouldnt have gotten to that point, but sometimes we take too much away from people by focussing on the negatives their opponents do.

My final comments, he's 21.  Not everyone is a model professional at aged 21, and I will be the first to put my hand up and state thank god video and social media were not around when I was in my teenage years.

I wouldn't have survived aged 15-21 if there was a spotlight ready to be shined upon all my misteps the way kids these days are.  They get so scutinised its ridiculous.

It might be worth noting at this point, that the Tennis media, commentary have been very critical of this guy for about 2 years now.  Particularly that hypocrite John Mcenroe who simply cannot be serious with his critique of any players mentality.  In the current proffesional era, a swing of 5% can see you go from chocolates to boiled lollies very quickly.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
Not worth commenting on Kyrgios.

Tomic? Grossly unfit, laughable. 70 unforced errors......that's Stosuresque!!

Who coaches him/. All he needed to do was attack that guy's backhand, open up the court and it would have been all over in 75 minutes.

Both these guys are very problematic, albeit talented.

Did anyone watch the fast 40 thing the other week - Tomic was playing Thiem. Tomic was stuffed after two games! (albeit he won that particular match)

Tomic is lazy, his bigger serve got him out of trouble vs a smaller player who ran harder but had to use more energy to stay in the game. Tomic was happy to sit back and wait for the mistake rather than take the game on.
Kyrgios is a way more talented player but cant be bothered playing long matches...he is a 20/20 player only....too much thinking and exertion for Nick to play any more than 3 sets and annoying opponents like Seppi who play text book tennis and do the 1%ers well even though they have half his talent just wear his patience down.
He needs a coach and a sports shrink , problem is being ranked 14-20 in the world gives you a mighty fine good living, why knock yourself out to be top 5? when you can hang with your mates, go clubbing, shoot a few hoops and skip training...

Reply #7
Has there ever been an Aussie sportsman in history as disliked as Kyrios.

I reckon the majority of fans after watching the tool unravel in set 3 wanted Seppi to win it.

All this crap he could be No 1 makes me laugh. Ability is an important component but to be the best of the best mental toughness, preparation and dire commitment are all quantities this flog would not make the top 200 in.

Majority of Aussie's work hard to make an honest living so watching this wanker make a ton of money with that attitude makes watching him lose so bloody enjoyable.

Really hope he gives it away before he is fully set up financially. Seemed an injustice for some one with his lack of respect, lack of care, and gutter attitude earns the sort of money most honest citizens can only dream of earning. 

Thanks Seppi for making my night. 

Reply #8
Has there ever been an Aussie sportsman in history as disliked as Kyrios.

I reckon the majority of fans after watching the tool unravel in set 3 wanted Seppi to win it.

All this crap he could be No 1 makes me laugh. Ability is an important component but to be the best of the best mental toughness, preparation and dire commitment are all quantities this flog would not make the top 200 in.

Majority of Aussie's work hard to make an honest living so watching this wanker make a ton of money with that attitude makes watching him lose so bloody enjoyable.

Really hope he gives it away before he is fully set up financially. Seemed an injustice for some one with his lack of respect, lack of care, and gutter attitude earns the sort of money most honest citizens can only dream of earning. 

Thanks Seppi for making my night. 

Interesting shawny.

Do you not believe that some people can learn from their mistakes, and that some people just take longer to learn from them?

Hypothetical scenario (im reminded of Tomic's 21st strippers at this point) if he does transform himself into a professional, and finds that desire (I think that all people have a strong desire that is beaten out of them by modern society and convenience) would you be similarly begrudging of him??

Or is there no way for him to win respect off you?

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Kyrios is a lazy fatar5e flog who bullied his way in to tennis off the back of a tricky serve and not much else.

The people paying to watch him are nothing for the 50c voyeurs justifying their pathetic existence as sports lovers. Kyrios is the modern equivalent of the Elephant Man Freak Show from the late 19th century. I expect they are the same people who roll up to car crashes, train wrecks and bush fires to take a selfie. If they had any dignity they would have left the arena shouting for a refund on the way out!

Somebody needs to tell Kyrios success doesn't come wrapped up like a souvlaki, he deserves nothing and probably needs to be stripped of everything before he gets the message. He is making Jelena Dokic and her family look exceptionally rational!

Apart from work ethic, Andy Murray behaved exactly the same (if not worse) for years. Finally got his act together and got a Knighthood to boot (which is a joke I reckon). Even Joker would behave like a child and fake an injury when a game wasn't going his way. Johhny Mac says hi also. You're right though, tennis does seem to breed some highly strung (pun intended) characters who have egos bigger than the pay cheques they receive.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #10
Phil Cleary started an interesting conversation on FB about Kyrgios playing a team sport.  While I think that team sports generally require members to channel their efforts for the benefit of the team, I doubt whether Kyrgios (or many other tennis players for that matter) could be an effective team member.  I heard Destenee Aiva say that she took up tennis because she didn't like team sports.

I haven't given up on Kyrgios. If he gets a tough coach and is able to cope with being coached 24/7, he could achieve his potential.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Interesting shawny.

Do you not believe that some people can learn from their mistakes, and that some people just take longer to learn from them?

Hypothetical scenario (im reminded of Tomic's 21st strippers at this point) if he does transform himself into a professional, and finds that desire (I think that all people have a strong desire that is beaten out of them by modern society and convenience) would you be similarly begrudging of him??

Or is there no way for him to win respect off you?

Nope he has done his dash in my eyes. He wont change - has not an ounce of remorse, respect in him and that is highly unlikely to change.

No time for his sort of person let alone one earning a small fortune in the process while the average Joe busts his arse grinding away earning an honest living to end up with a fraction of what this bloke will get......and I'm supposed to cheer for him.  ::)

He is a spoilt brat who much worse then his little sooky fits has no respect for anyone or anything. His racket breaking fit in the 3rd set came close to bouncing up and hitting the ball boy beside him and yet not even a wave to say sorry -nope nothing! And what about the number of times he swears and rolls his eyes if these kids don't give the flog his towel in under half a second. Murray, Federer all had there moments carrying on but not on this guys level and no one has ever been as smug as this flog in a press confident after behaving like a twit.

Nope cant stand him and never will.

Reply #12
So, reading between the lines, can I assume you're not entirely impressed with Kyrios...  ;) :)  (Ps I totally agree).

A piece of crape who wastes Federal government funding comes to mind!

The thing is perhaps it's true and he can be great, but it's clear to me someone needs to sit him on his ar5e before that happens because he is burning his opportunity. Spoiled brat also comes to mind, rewarded for tantrums as a kid no doubt!

Cut his funding, let him go and play for another country, maybe he'll wake up to himself. Go and play for one of the old European eastern block states that will put a bullet in the back of his head if he wastes their time and money!

Tennis needs to send a message that this stuff going down on court is totally unacceptable. If they don't the Feds should cut their funding!

Kyrgios can go and get a coaching job with the Kardashians, he'd fit right in!

Finally on Kyrgios, I find it slightly hypocritical that posters here will openly lambaste the likes of Garlett, Robinson and Fev for mostly off-field incidents, while forgiving Kyrgios for stuff that happens in the heat of battle.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
A piece of crape who wastes Federal government funding comes to mind!

The thing is perhaps it's true and he can be great, but it's clear to me someone needs to sit him on his ar5e before that happens because he is burning his opportunity. Spoiled brat also comes to mind, rewarded for tantrums as a kid no doubt!

Cut his funding, let him go and play for another country, maybe he'll wake up to himself. Go and play for one of the old European eastern block states that will put a bullet in the back of his head if he wastes their time and money!

Tennis needs to send a message that this stuff going down on court is totally unacceptable. If they don't the Feds should cut their funding!

Kyrgios can go and get a coaching job with the Kardashians, he'd fit right in!

Finally on Kyrgios, I find it slightly hypocritical that posters here will openly lambaste the likes of Garlett, Robinson and Fev for mostly off-field incidents, while forgiving Kyrgios for stuff that happens in the heat of battle.
Agree with all this, he needs a couple right between the eyes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #14
I haven't given up on Kyrgios. If he gets a tough coach and is able to cope with being coached 24/7, he could achieve his potential.
The problem is that Kyrios can fire any coach he hires on the spot.  The coach has absolutely no power over a player.  The only weapon a coach has is a threat to walk out if his or her program isn't followed.  That threat won't work on a guy who doesn't really want a coach and who just wants to do his own thing.  Hiring a dietician won't do a fat person any good if he or she has no intention of making any changes to the diet.

The commentators on Ch7 going soft on Kyrios reminded me of all the fawning of Ch7 commentators over all things Essendon during the drug-cheating scandal.  We needed someone like Caroline Wilson or Dave Culbert to call out Kyrios just as the crowd did at the end of the match.  All we got was a bit of puzzlement over what was happening.  The problem is that Kyrios is Ch7's golden goose and they don't want to risk a Trump-like retaliation by Kyrios against any criticism.  Didn't Tomic refuse to play Davis Cup under Pat Rafter after Rafter criticised him?  Apart from protecting Ch7's relationship with Kyrios, guys like Woodbridge and Rasheed also have to avoid upsetting Kyrios to ensure he stays engaged with the Davis Cup squad.  They won't call him what he is - a spoilt brat who craps all over the tennis public.