Skip to main content
Topic: SNF review of Carlton's year (Read 5509 times) previous topic - next topic

SNF review of Carlton's year

Click HERE.

The outs the author suggests are: one of the 3 Amigos, Andrew Collins, David Ellard, Marcus Davies, Aaron Joseph, Jeremy Laidler, Nick Duigan and Kane Lucas.

A suggestion for a trade is Jesse White from Sydney along with, of course, Daisy.

Re: SNF review of Carlton's year

Reply #1
One of the much better summaries of our season.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #2
Yet somehow very generic.  You could have applied the exact same write up to last season and it would be almost as valid.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
Maybe half a tick. Not sure about a full tick

As for the "never-say-die" attitude our's are selective. Some days we fight other days we just hoist the white  flag early. It was the greatest roller-coaster season ever, wonderful highs combined with some of the greatest sh1t imaginable. We had the thrilll of the last few weeks, taking Essendon's spot, finishing above Collingwood, winning a final against Richmond, how much better does that get even if we were possibly one of the worst side ever to finish 6th??? Then we had the game we had to have against Sydney to make sure the problems and cracks weren't wallpapered over and forcing us into change we had to have. Season of getting highly excited at times only be be dumped on our head into deep depression just as we thought things were getting better. Always frustrating.

Like the idea of getting Jesse White as well as Daisy. Martin would be nice, maybe we  can do a deal with one of the Amigos, but in  the end it all posturing and negotiation and will probably stay at Richmond.

Reply #4
A bit like Jimbo, to me it's a half tick because of the finals win.

While that was close to our best moment in 10 years, I think this year we definitely learned that we are not good enough. Up to 2011 we had continual improvement, started last year in a blaze of glory, then it fell apart. Last year was hard to judge due to injuries, but i don't think there can be any doubt now.

While we were competitive with all the top 4 teams during the home and away, we lacked the class to get over the line. We had a number of close losses, they always define your season. Could have easily finished 6th or 7th, and been in a different half of the finals draw.

This list has had every possible chance to succeed. We probably never had the mix right.  Changes need to be made... a few trades, get back to drafting some kids. I don't think the club will be under any illusions as to where we are at, and i expect them to act accordingly.

The Judd Era has finished, it's time to move on.

Reply #5

Like the idea of getting Jesse White as well as Daisy. Martin would be nice, maybe we  can do a deal with one of the Amigos, but in  the end it all posturing and negotiation and will probably stay at Richmond.

Do we need to trade for White? I think he is more a cameo type than what we need (solid 4 qtr player) but we're not in a position to be super picky and I must say the list does seem better for those inclusions.

Reply #6
I think Lucas, Duigan and the Amigos are safe. If he had listed Mitchell or McCarthy I would be more positive in my affirmation of the article, but it is better than the average article.

If we can get hold of White one of Rowe or Casboult "might" be traded to allow White to play as a pure forward. But if we cut Mitchell and McCarthy we are unlikely to cut either Casboult or Rowe.

We will still play two rucks out of Kreuzer, Warnock and Hampson. I suspect it would have to be a significant win for us at the trade table on top of getting someone like White before we would offload any of them. They are all first class 1st rucks that can float defensive side, but none of them are natural forwards despite what many commentators say.

If we can get someone like Jesse White, it does not make sense to cut the Amigos because we then have a mix of players that are difficult to match up on. For someone his size Jesse White is quick, agile and tackles like a bear. Put him working inside F50 surrounded by Betts, Garlett and Yarran or Murphy and the forward line looks vicious.

If we keep the Amigos and fail to get a KPF marking target we are easy to defend against. If we get the KPF and cut the Amigos we are easier to match up on as a traditional setup.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Apart from Lucas you can hardly call that "radical change".  Unless the trade period is where we will be making moves, I still don't think we will be as active as "radical change" suggests  ::)
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #8
Trade and delistings will be driven by who's likely to be available in the market place as replacements. MM has already said there are not many - so talk of radical change may be mainly relevant to the fringe dwellers in the NBs, with us looking to renew mainly via the drafts.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Trade and delistings will be driven by who's likely to be available in the market place as replacements. MM has already said there are not many - so talk of radical change may be mainly relevant to the fringe dwellers in the NBs, with us looking to renew mainly via the drafts.

The intent of the article is good, and the names listed are all slightly one dimensional in their abilities.

Duigan's elimination final might have put a nail in Laidler's coffin, I can understand us cutting one of the two but not both and Laidler has tweeted he is gone!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10

The intent of the article is good, and the names listed are all slightly one dimensional in their abilities.

Duigan's elimination final might have put a nail in Laidler's coffin, I can understand us cutting one of the two but not both and Laidler has tweeted he is gone!

That's a reasonable deduction I agree - Duigan now more than likely to stay.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11

Do we need to trade for White? I think he is more a cameo type than what we need (solid 4 qtr player) but we're not in a position to be super picky and I must say the list does seem better for those inclusions.

Re: White. You're probably right. Unfortunately there's not alot of choices out there and those types aren't easy to pick up. Generally looking for someone to simply back up Henderson though when he goes back to the forward line rather than a real spearhead. That he should do ok. Maybe we could look at a key defender too, like maybe Delaney, although Watson looked more and more like he could do the job over time

Reply #12
Duigan isnt getting any quicker and will spend all year in the Northern Blues......his game vs the Tigers will be a one off IMO and if Malthouse didnt rate him all year I dont see him rating him next season.

I think its more the case Malthouse cant sack 15 players in one season and hope to find replacements and some players will get an extra year they probably dont deserve..

Reply #13
Duigs, behind closed doors is probably viewed as a serious asset. Leadership wise. He's the kind of bloke who is far better off the the field, than on... and may just be, along with Scotto, good leaders for our reserves in 2014 & beyond (yes, please, a stand alone CFC side is fundamental and integral to future success)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17