Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Pre-Game Pessimism: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 19232 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 Rd 5: Pre-Game Pessimism: Carlton vs West Coast

Next week at the MCG. It is not going to be nice.
Why? We are not getting the ball out of the middle. Not at all. Not since Round #1. Kreuzer has been down: he struggled again tonight. We have not been getting anything from his taps. Next week he plays Natanui who is in career best form as a ruckman. If Natanui plays to that standard next week, we are toast.

Our midfield will be very empty next week without Murphy. He will probably need surgery on his plantar fascia. I've been there and done that. It won't take forever to get over, but it will be a while before he is back to normal.

Our kids are struggling. I don't know what to do about that. We don't want to drop them, but they aren't getting much from us being pounded.

Our disposal has been horrible. Just horrible. If we can't fix that, then it will get ugly.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Pre-Game Pessimism: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #1
Time to play McKay, Kerr and Jack together and at least try and score some goals......I'd run Jones on the ball as a follower and have Rowe in to play FB.....

Reply #2
SoJ is dead to me.

Reports were his form didn't warrant selection and he proved it, so from now on I'll just assume nepotism rules the Carlton MC. His game tonight was worse than Casboult, and that coming from me means something!

How would you feel if you were Kerridge or Kerr watching that sh1te and knowing you couldn't get a game? Why would you bother, which is sort of related to the way the NBs have been playing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
SoJ is dead to me.

Reports were his form didn't warrant selection and he proved it, so from now on I'll just assume nepotism rules the Carlton MC. His game tonight was worse than Casboult, and that coming from me means something!

How would you feel if you were Kerridge or Kerr watching that sh1te and knowing you couldn't get a game? Why would you bother, which is sort of related to the way the NBs have been playing!

Mate, we don't have 22 blokes on the list whose form warrant selection.

I doubt we'd even have double figures!

Why pick on him?

Reply #4
Mate, we don't have 22 blokes on the list whose form warrant selection.

I doubt we'd even have double figures!

Why pick on him?

Because people put faith in him (rightly or wrongly), and he is only young and apparently human. Jack Silvagni did not ask for the famous name, the pressure must be immense.

I thought many of our younger guys in the last quarter still chased but were exhausted, Jack looked to give all he had to chase, had 12 touches, 4 marks, 3 tackles and kicked 1.1, Matthew Wright was only marginally better. Young teams take time, Jack was hardly our worst.

Reply #5
Time to play McKay, Kerr and Jack together and at least try and score some goals......I'd run Jones on the ball as a follower and have Rowe in to play FB.....
Agree with all that providing Rowey is ready, the jump to AFL as we know is huge and I would hate to see him hurt that knee again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
NAtanui will carve up Kreuzer,  I like the concept of running Jones on ball to at least give something different.

Kerr and McKay up forward for structure,  Kerridge as a runner  to go with Shuey, LoB for Gaff.

LeCras is smart but slow and soft....Plowman?

Kennedy is the worry.   If he gets decent delivery he'll kick 15.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #7
SoJ is dead to me.

Harsh LP. I say that not because Jack is a protected species, no one is. I don't buy the nepotism line either, I would think our club is professional enough to ensure that doesn't occur. Sure there will be players not getting a game who will automatically say "Jack gets a game because of SOS", I have heard this from someone. I also know they players he refers to and I can tell you they should look in the mirror as opposed to whinging about not getting a game. Our entire 22 was horrid last night. I thought Daisy and Jack tried their guts out, albeit the latter having little reward and skill errors made it look worse for him (he wast Robinson Crusoe in that area though). I also reckon given Jack and Weiters are the future of our club, provided they hit their KPIs in the 2s (in Jacks case) and their is a role for them in the 1s, they will get a gig ahead of Kerridge (who isnt part of our long term plans) and isn't setting the world on fire in the 2s anyway. Make no mistake, if there are blokes who stake a claim in the 2s, they will be in like Flynn. To be clear, I am not suggesting for a minute that Jack should be an auto select, I am merely suggesting the MC saw fit to pick him this week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #8
NAtanui will carve up Kreuzer,  I like the concept of running Jones on ball to at least give something different.

Kerr and McKay up forward for structure,  Kerridge as a runner  to go with Shuey, LoB for Gaff.

LeCras is smart but slow and soft....Plowman?

Kennedy is the worry.   If he gets decent delivery he'll kick 15.
To be honest, I thought the same about Brown last night. I think we did well to hold him and Waite to 5 and 3 respectively. Their mids and small fwds got off the chain far too easily and kicked a bundle.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #9
So the sun came up this morning, along with abit of drizzle here in Melbourne town. As bad as that was to watch last night, I think as supporters, we owe it to the boys to support them this week and back em in. We might not think that, we might not think they deserve it, but we must. They are hurting as mush we are, we might not think it but they are. We all need to get back on the horse and front up next week. There is an opportunity to redeem ourselves, so roll up the collective sleeves as there is no other option.
Go Blues.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #10
So the sun came up this morning, along with abit of drizzle here in Melbourne town. As bad as that was to watch last night, I think as supporters, we owe it to the boys to support them this week and back em in. We might not think that, we might not think they deserve it, but we must. They are hurting as mush we are, we might not think it but they are. We all need to get back on the horse and front up next week. There is an opportunity to redeem ourselves, so roll up the collective sleeves as there is no other option.
Go Blues.

This should not be difficult for us - after all, we have had plenty of practice.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11
But they had the chance to respond after the round two and three debacles....  and it pains me to say this but the performances are getting worse by the week... how can it be any worse in round five, a 150 point loss?

Words are cheap... don't think, DO!
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #12
We lack talent, our kids are very novice like and our experienced players not good enough to provide cover and help them progress.
The Northern Blues has been a disaster area and its filtering up to the seniors, changes need to be made to the coaching and recruiting areas, it wont be Bolton and SOS but some of the others need moving on like Fraser, Barker etc.

Rather than than going hard on more kids we need better mid age senior players......missing on Rockliff, Smith, Hopper, Saad probably hurt us more than we thought...we needed to also land a player like Tomlinson rather than have to take OSheas, Mullets etc........
We were in the hunt for Shaun Higgins at one stage but North beat us to him...thats the type of quality we need to look at initially not superstar material like Lynch but consistent quality...

Stkilda have fallen into the same trap.....recruited kids on mass but gradually the quality senior player numbers have dwindled and they have topped up with poorer quality fringe players to replace them and now have nothing decent in that mid age bracket.....

Reply #13
We'll always support them...but really last night was an opportunity to show a bit of mettle, a bit of fight and a bit of effort... and they didn't raise a whimper.

I'm starting to wonder about some of the dynamics at the club.

Is everyone on board?
If there are dissenters what weight and influence do they carry within the playing group?

On the other hand if everyone is committed, what factors are at play that are causing efforts like last night.
Youth and injury do count for something but they don't excuse that lacklustre performance.

Reply #14
Is everyone on board?
If there are dissenters what weight and influence do they carry within the playing group?

Week in and week out four of our best five are our senior players so I don't think there is any dissent among the playing group.
It's simply that much of the talent that we have is raw and the run of the mill players that we've surrounded them with (Casboult, Mullet, Lamb, Kennedy, Graham etc.) aren't good enough.
We won't see any real improvement and consistency until our youngsters have another 40 games in them and we've been able to replace some or all of our scrubbers.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.