Skip to main content
Topic: Curnow Ranked 2nd Best Tagger in AFL (Read 7785 times) previous topic - next topic

Curnow Ranked 2nd Best Tagger in AFL

Interesting article in The Age on taggers. We have 3 on the list with Curnow, Carrazzo and Cachia (there's a "C" theme here!).

Of course Ryan Crowley tops the list (another "C") but Curnow comes in second according to Champion Data.

Carrazzo wasn't far behind despite only 6 games. Cachia was the better offensively.

Cachia's a rookie isn't he so unless someone is LTI, then not sure he'll see many games this year? Hopefully Carrazzo can stay on the park this season.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-ed-curnow-emerges-as-afls-no-2-tagger-20140111-30nri.html

Re: Curnow Ranked 2nd Best Tagger in AFL

Reply #1
I don't take champion data too seriously. 

Numbers are numbers but it's another thing entirely to sit down and analyse the play.

Reply #2
In this case they're judging by how many less possessions each tagged player gets compared to their average per game, so whilst not the be all and end all it's a fair way to judge each tagger's effectiveness.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #3
In this case they're judging by how many less possessions each tagged player gets compared to their average per game, so whilst not the be all and end all it's a fair way to judge each tagger's effectiveness.

Yeah true, but even a game with less possessions can be an effective one. A player may only get 10 touches for the game but almost every one of those touches could be pivotal and influential to their team's success on the day, as opposed to say a player who mght end up with 25 or so possessions but many of them are 'nothing' touches. 

The best midfielders are tagged because they're dangerous...can be quiet for the majority of the match but in 5 minutes of footy can have a huge influence with one or two possessions.

Reply #4

Yeah true, but even a game with less possessions can be an effective one. A player may only get 10 touches for the game but almost every one of those touches could be pivotal and influential to their team's success on the day, as opposed to say a player who mght end up with 25 or so possessions but many of them are 'nothing' touches.  

Hence the idea of reducing the better players' disposals as most are pivotal and influential to their team's success. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #5
Interesting article in The Age on taggers. We have 3 on the list with Curnow, Carrazzo and Cachia (there's a "C" theme here!).

Of course Ryan Crowley tops the list (another "C") but Curnow comes in second according to Champion Data.
That's convenient as it allows alliteration with the word most players would use to describe taggers.

Reply #6

That's convenient as it allows alliteration with the word most players would use to describe taggers.

;D ;D ;D

Reply #7

Haha very true however I don't think our Ed fits into this category. He's as fair as they come IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
Curnow goes alright for us and we need him around for a while. Decent tank and can do more than just tag. I hope he keeps improving. Best of luck buddy and hold your head high. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #9
I like taggers who can get the footy themselves and hurt other teams...like to see Ed get more of the footy and improve his skills.

Reply #10
I like taggers who can get the footy themselves and hurt other teams...like to see Ed get more of the footy and improve his skills.

I thought that game he had on Ablett he started to do that, hopefully he gained enough confidence to do more of it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
I think the game that Curnow's ability to shut down and hurt the other way was the second match against Richmond during the regular season where he was doing a pretty good job on Cotchin and managed to hit the scoreboard with 3 goals himself.

At the end of the day, the best type of tagger, is one that can make the switch to attacking midfielder whilst one of his teamates sits on his opponent.  One thing I have noticed, is that when Ed Curnow is playing well (shuttind down an opponent and racking up a fair few touches) we usually fair pretty well.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12

I thought that game he had on Ablett he started to do that, hopefully he gained enough confidence to do more of it!

He towelled Ablett up that day. And yet Ablett still got votes. Makes you wonder whether the umpires vote half the time for the player they know best.

Reply #13

He towelled Ablett up that day. And yet Ablett still got votes. Makes you wonder whether the umpires vote half the time for the player they know best.

wasn't that the week after Ablett had 400 possessions.....?

Perhaps they credited him with 50 odd touches even before he got them!  ???
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #14
Interesting one wouldn't have thought of him as the second best in the comp. Cant see him improving much in terms of skill I think he is the athlete-come-footballer type, but he still needs to find the ball a bit more in my opinion. Otherwise he needs to be blanketing blokes even more to be really beneficial to the team.