Skip to main content
Topic: Kreuzer VS Warnock VS Wood - How Will This One Play Out ?? (Read 94723 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Kreuzer VS Warnock VS Wood - How Will This One Play Out ??

Reply #15
I reckon all 3 will be given all the chances they need. By season's end, or perhaps sooner, we'll know who will stay and who will go.

Wood's ability to catch the aggot and kick straight is a big up side. Neither of the other two can do that and one of them at least must start doing that this year.

x2. Rightly or wrongly I think there will be heaps of pressure on Kreuzer this year to take it up a notch and I hope beyond hope he does. Wood will get enough games and if he can show enough in the ruck and mark the ball around the ground well then it will be interesting.

Reply #16
Wood was only taken because our current rucks are so fragile. I'm not expecting him to play outside of an injury to a ruck, it would be bizarre for him to play in any other circumstance IMO.

Reply #17
Wood was only taken because our current rucks are so fragile. I'm not expecting him to play outside of an injury to a ruck, it would be bizarre for him to play in any other circumstance IMO.

All the talk about Wood being a good mark and being a good kick of the footy might indicate he may have a role up forward at some point in time in this squad. I have my doubts he was selected for his ruck skills.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #18

All the talk about Wood being a good mark and being a good kick of the footy might indicate he may have a role up forward at some point in time in this squad.

It's like a never ending nightmare  :P :)) :))

Reply #19
I think Blueseum's profile of Cameron Wood sums up what 2014 holds for him:

In one of the biggest surprises of the 2013 AFL Rookie Draft, Carlton selected 27 year-old former Brisbane and Collingwood ruckman Cameron Wood in the second round, at number 28 overall. After being delisted by Collingwood in 2012, Wood had enjoyed a solid 2013 in the VFL with Williamstown, but few expected him to be given a third opportunity at elite level.

However, the departure of Shaun Hampson to Richmond a few weeks earlier had forced the Blues to re-assess their stock of big men, so Wood was picked up as insurance against long-term injury to Matthew Kreuzer, Robert Warnock and Levi Casboult. Although another ex-Collingwood ruckman – the vastly-experienced Premiership player Darren Jolly – was also available, Carlton’s recruiting team opted for the younger man, largely because he had already established a strong rapport with Blues coach Mick Malthouse during their five seasons together in black and white.

Way back in 2004, Wood had been working his way up through the ranks at West Adelaide when he was drafted for the first time. The Brisbane Lions called his name at number 18 in the National Draft, and Cameron packed his bags for the tropics. He played his first senior game early in 2005, but from then on his opportunities were limited and, despite gaining a Rising Star nomination in round 2, 2007, he had played only 16 matches in three seasons before he was traded to Collingwood later that same year.

Wood went on to play another 48 games for the Magpies between 2008 and 2012, although he was never able to shake the tag of back-up ruckman and his entire career in black and white was spent in the shadows of Josh Fraser, Darren Jolly, Leigh Brown and Chris Dawes. In October 2012, Collingwood delisted Wood, so he crossed to Williamstown in the VFL and enjoyed perhaps his most effective season as he helped lift the Seagulls into a Preliminary Final.

Upon his arrival at Princes Park, Cameron credited his previous good relationship with Malthouse and high performance manager David Buttifant as the key to his recruitment. He knows that the challenge facing him at Carlton is huge, but is also determined to give it his best shot. "I'm under no illusions that I've been recruited as insurance,” he said during an early interview. “But if I didn't think I could play the number one ruck role, I wouldn't waste people's time and be here for the sake of being here."

I'm with IOT on this one; it would be bizarre for Wood to play unless we lose one of Warnock and Kreuzer, and Casboult and Rowe aren't performing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
If Wood plays well in the VFL this year, which is likely based on his efforts there last year, he has every chance of playing seniors for us at some stage this year IMO. Both Kreuzer and Warnock have been criticised for their poor forward performances and if that continues then MM could well be tempted to try something different, especially if one or both of their ruck work also takes a dip.

Neither Sam nor Levi has yet set the world alight either as a forward  or as a ruck so MM may well decide to turn to Cameron Wood. I think "insurance" is basically right, but at the same time I certainly wouldn't write off his chances of getting some senior game time.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
I know he hasn't pulled on the navy blue yet but, if he goes alright against the Bulldogs and with the NBs, I'd like to see Luke Reynolds take the LTI elevation. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22
He'll be one of the better ruckman in the game soon enough. Whether he'll be a great ruckman... hard call. Injuries seem to have the better of him ATM.

Getting rid of Hammer makes him untradeable if he wasn't before IMO
This!!.....

.....and This!!!

Wood couldn't cement a spot at Brisbane or Collingwood, played a reasonable season in the VFL and kicked a goal in a NAB Cup game and he's challenging Kreuzer and Warnock for a spot in the 22?   :o

A fit and firing Kreuzer will silence all his detractors!!
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #23
I know he hasn't pulled on the navy blue yet but, if he goes alright against the Bulldogs and with the NBs, I'd like to see Luke Reynolds take the LTI elevation.

Likewise DJ. I think I'm gonna like this Kid.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #24
Think we will get an idea if and when a player is promoted to take Duigans spot....like others I like the look of Reynolds and what he could offer but if Mick promotes Wood then I would be watching my back if I was Warnock.

Reply #25
Ive accepted that he is unlikley to reach the potential most expected. IMO its clear we should have taken Cotchin, and also clear that its dangerous take a ruckman with early pick. The problem now, is the investment trap, its far harder to part with something/someone/ideal in which youve invested heavily in for smaller return, because doing so means you have to accept a loss. I think he'll end up going nowhere because he wont command high value. I reckon the club will stick with him, and with the exception of a few good patches,he'll slowly wind down in effectiveness with each season.

Its to late IMO, we should have acted earlier

Or kept Kennedy and traded picks 1 & 3 for Judd instead.

Reply #26
Ive accepted that he is unlikley to reach the potential most expected. IMO its clear we should have taken Cotchin, and also clear that its dangerous take a ruckman with early pick. The problem now, is the investment trap, its far harder to part with something/someone/ideal in which youve invested heavily in for smaller return, because doing so means you have to accept a loss. I think he'll end up going nowhere because he wont command high value. I reckon the club will stick with him, and with the exception of a few good patches,he'll slowly wind down in effectiveness with each season.

Its to late IMO, we should have acted earlier

Or kept Kennedy and traded picks 1 & 3 for Judd instead.

I hadn't even considered that option, but Gee hindsight is a wonderful thing and how great would it have been to go that option. To also consider that Kennedy was gutted and desperately wanted to stay a Blue at the time. Thanks for depressing me even further Laj  :(
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #27
This is Kruezer's last chance this year IMO

If this bloke does not start taking games apart, get angry and hit hard I am more than happy to trade him at years end.

Reply #28
I was thinking the same thing myself with both of the last 2 posts. :(
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #29
I was thinking the same thing myself with both of the last 2 posts. :(

WTF? You abused me for suggesting such a thing 18 months ago.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!