Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 67387 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #255
LeBois won't make it.   Poor first year,  now a busted collarbone.  He's coming from a loooooong way back.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #256
LeBois won't make it.   Poor first year,  now a busted collarbone.  He's coming from a loooooong way back.

Tend to agree, probably be a good rookie for the Crows, needs a good team with some bigger bodies, very light and injury prone IMO.
Has good skills and can cherry pick a goal but probably doesnt suit our list IMO.....at the Crows he could play the Charlie " the apprentice" Cameron role
to Eddie...

Reply #257
He needs to be stockpiled by a club,  left in the minor leagues to develop his body etc for a couple of years.   A luxury this club can't afford.   Maybe we just drafted him too early in his development ?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #258
He needs to be stockpiled by a club,  left in the minor leagues to develop his body etc for a couple of years.   A luxury this club can't afford.   Maybe we just drafted him too early in his development ?

Agree...probably needed another season or two with North Adelaide.....you look at Parfitt from Geelong, similar type but has blossomed playing with the Cats star studded midfield, no freebies or gimme kicks/goals with us, its everyman for himself but down at the Cattery players like Parfitt and Kelly can just come straight in  get some easy kicks and blend into the successful system.

Reply #259
I have put together a together an under 25 team from our current list:
B:   Byrne Macreadie Marchbank
HB: Plowman Weitering Docherty
C:   Lang Cripps Dow
HF: Petrovski-Seton Curnow Garlett
F:   Picket McKay Kerr
R:   De Konning Kennedy Fisher
I/C: Silvagni O'Brien Cunningham Williamson
Emg: Polson Schumacher LeBois
Back-up: Glass-McCasker McCaid
The question we need to ask is how good will this side be in three to four years time when they would be entering their prime, both individually and as a team, particularly as there is likely to be a further fifteen to twenty additional new players brought into the squad over that time
I think you have nailed the future Bluey, we are literally biding our time until this team matures in at least three more years. If this is the case then why not take a leaf out of Sheedy's '93 book and play this team with the likes of Murph, Kreuser, Daisey and Jones until one by one they are replaced by the next gen. That is how you build synergy, play them together regardless of results in the short term because that team has premiership written all over it (who knows how good some of the "next 20" could be either!?!)
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #260
The question we need to ask is how good will this side be in three to four years time when they would be entering their prime, both individually and as a team, particularly as there is likely to be a further fifteen to twenty additional new players brought into the squad over that time

Good stuff, well done. Delivers an excellent perspective. :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #261
I think you have nailed the future Bluey, we are literally biding our time until this team matures in at least three more years. If this is the case then why not take a leaf out of Sheedy's '93 book and play this team with the likes of Murph, Kreuser, Daisey and Jones until one by one they are replaced by the next gen. That is how you build synergy, play them together regardless of results in the short term because that team has premiership written all over it (who knows how good some of the "next 20" could be either!?!)

Yep
I mentioned in another thread that there is "getting games into kids" and "getting games into kids - together"
The latter is far more valuable.
You also need that group of three of four senior players for a little bit of support and guidance.
They have to be the right type of player though.
Ones that keep working their backsides off despite the state of the game....I'd probably add someone like Ed Curnow to that group.

We'd have to sell it, but I think most folk ...even old sceptics like myself, would wear a season of pain for the benefits.
I just have the feeling it would fast track the progress.

The only danger is another bad season with injuries could be an absolute disaster.

Reply #262

Great post - a very solid team, with much upside...

Especially when you add a few new players, including a couple of A graders - presently not at the Club - to that list (but in that age bracket, or thereabouts).

Next year we may add B. Silvagni (key forward) and trade for Gaff, Shiel etc.

Noting both Kelly and Shiel contracted to the end of 2019, but with one year left, and if GWS stumbles again....these type of blokes might be keen to move sooner than later.

Would I swap our first draft pick in 2018 for Shiel? In a heartbeat.....a proven high quality performer versus a kid who may or not be something in years tpo come (or SOS may split the #1 or #2 pick into two lower first round picks and then throw in one of our 2nd round picks as well for Shiel?)

Gaff will simply be a matter of $ - of which we have plenty....

2018 is a write off - we all accept that now.

Even by 2019, the young lads will be approaching the 50-75 game bracket - and hopefully we'll get an even break with respect to injuries...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #263
Great post - a very solid team, with much upside...

Especially when you add a few new players, including a couple of A graders - presently not at the Club - to that list (but in that age bracket, or thereabouts).

Next year we may add B. Silvagni (key forward) and trade for Gaff, Shiel etc.

Noting both Kelly and Shiel contracted to the end of 2019, but with one year left, and if GWS stumbles again....these type of blokes might be keen to move sooner than later.

Would I swap our first draft pick in 2018 for Shiel? In a heartbeat.....a proven high quality performer versus a kid who may or not be something in years tpo come (or SOS may split the #1 or #2 pick into two lower first round picks and then throw in one of our 2nd round picks as well for Shiel?)

Gaff will simply be a matter of $ - of which we have plenty....

2018 is a write off - we all accept that now.

Even by 2019, the young lads will be approaching the 50-75 game bracket - and hopefully we'll get an even break with respect to injuries...

Ok, so how many goals will B. Silvagni kick next year ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #264
Ok, so how many goals will B. Silvagni kick next year ?

It's not even clear he'll nominate yet and his progress has stalled a little, as others in his age group have caught up with him physically, but he's got many of the required physical attributes for AFL.

Not sure he has the focus, aggression or desire! A mate down at Frankston at the weekend who's still a little involved with TAC Cup said he could be anything, like Nathan Ablett!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #265
It's not even clear he'll nominate yet and his progress has stalled a little, as others in his age group have caught up with him physically, but he's got many of the required physical attributes for AFL.

Not sure he has the focus, aggression or desire! A mate down at Frankston at the weekend who's still a little involved with TAC Cup said he could be anything, like Nathan Ablett!

It could also be that hes simply foxing.

If they have shown a lot until TAC cup year, and were touted as being the next big thing, and then they taper off, expect it to be more gamesmanship than anything else.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #266
It could also be that hes simply foxing.

If they have shown a lot until TAC cup year, and were touted as being the next big thing, and then they taper off, expect it to be more gamesmanship than anything else.

Seriously Thry it doesn't work like that at all, the TAC Cup coaches have some pride in the work they do! ;)

If they got even a whiff a kid was disingenuous they'd be cut, the competition for spots is hot!

BoJ has the gig because he's shown the ability, nobody is sure at all about his commitment to making it a career! But you can be sure, assuming an injury free run, they'll put him to the sword by the end of this season and everyone will know!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #267
Seriously Thry it doesn't work like that at all, the TAC Cup coaches have some pride in the work they do! ;)

If they got even a whiff a kid was disingenuous they'd be cut, the competition for spots is hot!

BoJ has the gig because he's shown the ability, nobody is sure at all about his commitment to making it a career! But you can be sure, assuming an injury free run, they'll put him to the sword by the end of this season and everyone will know!

I have an ankle/knee/hamstring/big workload at school, broke up with my girlfriend, not taking my marks, down on confidence, down on form.

Lets call a spade a spade LP.

We have no idea.  These kids are kids.  I have played with some kids.  Sometimes they just Ceebs doing training because FML, FISHYOLO and i'd rather be on insta chasing skirt right now.

or they can be like Fogarty and simply state that they will return home at the first opportunity.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #268
I have an ankle/knee/hamstring/big workload at school, broke up with my girlfriend, not taking my marks, down on confidence, down on form.

Lets call a spade a spade LP.

We have no idea.  These kids are kids.  I have played with some kids.  Sometimes they just Ceebs doing training because FML, FISHYOLO and i'd rather be on insta chasing skirt right now.

or they can be like Fogarty and simply state that they will return home at the first opportunity.

TAC Cup coaches would lose their job if clubs thought the info they were given wasn't genuine or accurate, they are basically employed by the AFL on behalf of the clubs, that is their job!

What players say to club recruiters is completely different and out of the control of the development coaches, that info will however be cross referenced to the reports generated by TAC Cup coaches and list managers. That is the reality we know, it's not speculation.

Also the Fogarty case is interesting, because there are just as many players who openly want the flipside like Schache and pull the pin when things do not work out! If Fogarty wasn't getting a game would his tune change? Even so, that is a different issue to the way Development coaches assess players.
The Force Awakens!