Skip to main content
Topic: AO 2021 (Read 6113 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AO 2021

Reply #46
Genie Bouchard has a new sponsorship with New Balance, obviously tennis ability(think she his ranked about 140 odd) has little to do with marketing and apart from being a nice looking girl she also has 2 zillion instagram followers hanging of her every word and photos which is probably the main reason why she is in demand. As for her tennis career she was just bundled out of a tournament in Lyon in the first round.
Good luck to her but spare a thought for a tennis player with more ability and desire but who doesnt have that celebrity appeal
and easy money to fall back on. ie You are ranked in the top 50 but a player ranked 100 spots above you will probably earn more money for playing less tennis at a lesser level if they have the looks and are media savvy.

Reply #47
Genie Bouchard has a new sponsorship with New Balance, obviously tennis ability(think she his ranked about 140 odd) has little to do with marketing and apart from being a nice looking girl she also has 2 zillion instagram followers hanging of her every word and photos which is probably the main reason why she is in demand. As for her tennis career she was just bundled out of a tournament in Lyon in the first round.
Good luck to her but spare a thought for a tennis player with more ability and desire but who doesnt have that celebrity appeal
and easy money to fall back on. ie You are ranked in the top 50 but a player ranked 100 spots above you will probably earn more money for playing less tennis at a lesser level if they have the looks and are media savvy.
Agreed, her appearances are now more about boosting her Instagonad profile, it's disingenuous and disrespectful to the sport.

Maybe she is a nice person, but what she is up to is not much better than Tomic, at least that is what I think.

There are plenty of players that deserve a crack at the tournaments she probably gets a wildcard for, because she rates for the broadcasters!

In my world, a sports based world, the only thing she has influence over is disdain. I'd rather they gave wildcards to The Three Stooges, at least then everyone would know it's a joke!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
Think Anna Kournikova. Easy on the eye, useless on the tennis court, a marketers dream. Genie is the same, watch NB sales jump after a few posts of her wearing their stuff.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
Genie can play a bit though.

I reckon when they're young and hungry they do well, and then when they get a bit older they realise they can earn enough have a good lifestyle because no matter how hard they try they just aren't going to outcompete someone like Williams.

I think its just reality that also rans in tennis get bundled out early sometimes because the new breed are hungry and they don't want to put in the work to be mediocre.  
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
Genie can play a bit though.

I reckon when they're young and hungry they do well, and then when they get a bit older they realise they can earn enough have a good lifestyle because no matter how hard they try they just aren't going to outcompete someone like Williams.

I think its just reality that also rans in tennis get bundled out early sometimes because the new breed are hungry and they don't want to put in the work to be mediocre.  
You are probably right....Genie was ranked No 5 at one stage and I get Tennis needs faces and looks to sell the game and the easy money was there for her given she could sell fresh air with her looks and social media profile.
She probably had the choice of knocking herself out to try and stay top ten or just embrace the offers she was getting and devote more time to making money off court.
I guess I was just pointing out that good looks, a heavy social media presence and a savvy personality will get you further than ability a lot of the time and that is a bit wrong to me and sending the wrong message to a lot of kids but thats seems to be the way these days with influencer's making a career out of ordinary folk following them and Genie is more of a influencer than a Tennis player these days.

Reply #51
You are probably right....Genie was ranked No 5 at one stage and I get Tennis needs faces and looks to sell the game and the easy money was there for her given she could sell fresh air with her looks and social media profile.
She probably had the choice of knocking herself out to try and stay top ten or just embrace the offers she was getting and devote more time to making money off court.
I guess I was just pointing out that good looks, a heavy social media presence and a savvy personality will get you further than ability a lot of the time and that is a bit wrong to me and sending the wrong message to a lot of kids but thats seems to be the way these days with influencer's making a career out of ordinary folk following them and Genie is more of a influencer than a Tennis player these days.

Hornikova had a highest ranking of 8, never won a major.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52

I dont disagree but its just modern sport.  Marketing plays a part.

One of the best English strikers in the last 30 years was a bloke named Matt le tissier.  

Played his entire career at southampton and barely got a look in for the English National team.

Check his highlights.

Only thing that held him back was his looks.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson