Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Williamstown VFL Rd #1 (Read 19425 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs. Williamstown VFL Rd #1

Reply #30
Shaun Hampson will be delisted at years end.

Do you even watch VFL football, follow pre-season, or read about other teams?

If you did you would know Hardwick had named Hampson for Nthmond's No.1 ruck role for this season, just a day before he rolled his ankle in their last practise match.

Further you will be disappointed to hear he was named BOG for Nthmond in their match against Coburg today.

But please keep telling us how much better our ruck division is now, we are smoking them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31

If you did you would know Hardwick had named Hampson for Nthmond's No.1 ruck role for this season, just a day before he rolled his ankle in their last practise match.

Further you will be disappointed to hear he was named BOG for Nthmond in their match against Coburg today.

But please keep telling us how much better our ruck division is now, we are smoking them!
Alas his form is looking good.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #32

Got a bite though. ;D
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #33
Watching Byrne today I find MM's selection of Smith (twice) almost incomprehensible.

I reckon I'd have had maybe 5 others picked ahead before even considering Smith.

Perhaps had he been on from the first minute, you may have thought differently.

Still I'm thinking it might have more to do with what Smith did to get a game rather than his condition, or his ability.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #34
Perhaps had he been on from the first minute, you may have thought differently.

Still I'm thinking it might have more to do with what Smith did to get a game rather than his condition, or his ability.

What did Smith do in the NAB games?

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #35
maybe if we were at training every week we would know.

It might have as much to do with what the other candidates for his spot don't do.

Paul Hewson

Reply #36
maybe if we were at training every week we would know.

It might have as much to do with what the other candidates for his spot don't do.

The sub spot?

Crazy business.
Byrne's NAB form was very good and he's fit.

MM screwed that up as well.

Reply #37
I picked Byrne in the other thread with the starting 22. What I have seen from him shows he could make a decent AFL grade footballer. Given some time to build his confidence.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #38
The sub spot?

Crazy business.

Sure maybe he just chose Smith because he likes his hairstyle, and Smith has compromising photos of Malthouse.

Or perhaps there is a perfectly reasonable explanation that we don't know about.

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
The sub spot?

Crazy business.

I agree....Smith attacks the ball well but isnt as polished as Byrne and I thought Whiley should have played this week as well..

Reply #40
I agree....Smith attacks the ball well but isnt as polished as Byrne and I thought Whiley should have played this week as well..
o
Whiley has had no pre season. Has had a couple f games in the ressies and has done well.  By all accounts he had a good game yesterday.

Think he will come intothe side for sure next week.

Reply #41
A high probability to play next week, young Whiley. Interesting to see what role he plays.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #42
Was there anyone at this game how could give us a wrap up?

Reply #43
From Harker on BF..

Good game of football today that clearly showed us playing a more open game, than we have in a couple of years.
We really did let Williamstown in much too easily at times, by allowing them to have clear players across the ground but the NB's did play the better football for the most part.

Whiley stood out for me, in the way he moved around the ground and how ready he was to get his hands dirty.
Has a Josh Kennedy movement coming out of the middle with ball in hand..............a little like Cripps also and always looks out for the best option.
He also laid some bone crunching tackles and took some good intercept marks across the park. Very good game.

Graham was his usual 'good' Not great but just very good.
I dare say that we'd be fawning over his game if it was his first year but we've seen so many of the same over the last couple that we're somewhat used to it.

Warnock was solid and presented regularly.....as he has at this level in the past.
The guy can get around the ground but I feel he just doesn’t push himself hard enough....he’d be better if he did.
Can't say that his ruck-work was particularly great and even though he beat his opponent, he didn't really dominate......all in all, a good game though.

Watson is a terrific kick but Fields has him covered on today’s showing.
Reckon it may have been 8-10 kicks that travelled 50mts+ to hit the desired target perfectly today....clear stand-out.
Hard to say how far he can go from the one showing but his 192cm may not help him as a KPP...who knows?

Buckley was so-so but he still makes some fundamental errors that lets opponents in.
Always looked as an offensive weapon than he did a defensive one......It's tricky for him.

Boekhorst was very impressive although he tires much too quickly.....that will be the reason he isn't playing yet.
Did most things well but at one stage in the second I thought he must have broken his arm the way he ran off the ground.........he was just fatigued.
He clearly has class about him and the sooner he gets body into gear the better for us.

Viojo was good....not great but good. Took a couple of courageous marks, ran through opponents but oddlyy it was his kicking which let him down.
There were some good kicks there but also a couple of shanks which weren't there through the pre-season. He rarely extended his left which was a little disappointing for someone given just how good a kick he really is...........early days, of course.

Jaksch is class. Not that everything he did today was exemplary, but you can just tell.
Judges the ball in the air beautifully and he has a terrific kick on him, as we already know....He'll be considered a great pick-up for us soon enough.
Not afraid to hit packs to execute a punch, either.......................something McCarthy couldn’t do.

Tutt was good. Probably did several things that may have gone unnoticed although you can't hide from 3 goals.
Always looked lively and effort was quality.

Gowers and Walsh were involved in some very good passages of play. Both showed plenty of promise.

Smith looked very lively early but did seem somewhat distant thereafter.
Several passages of play looked as though they may amount to something but it didn't quite work out for him today.

Russell did very well given the expectations upon him. Kicked a great goal but the progress from last year was clear on today’s showing.

Watson didn't have a good day by his VFL standard and a couple of passages were a bit if a let-down for the big fella.

Foster didn't impact too much but did seem to position himself well enough.
It does seem as though the forwards are going to get some decent delivery this year....He has plenty of time on his side.

Johnson and Holman were only so-so. Holman did have a stopping role but didn't really show class when he had to.
I like Johnson and he did a few good things but just didn't get involved enough.

The NB's lost....................I don't know how as they were the better team on the day.

Reply #44
How Whiley can't get a game but Smith, Curnow and Ellard can is beyond me.

Tutt suffered the Carlton theory of get flogged (against wc), don't move the ball into the forward line and then drop your forward pocket.

Did it to garlett last year.

I'd play Jaksch in front of Jamo Next week. What a great way to send a message to the team that soft nervous crap-your-dacks footy is not acceptable.

Don't know why Boekhorst isn't playing. At least he has some pace.

Graham does not have the pace to be picked. 

Buckley seems like a player who might struggle at VFL level for whatever reason but could still be good at afl. We've seen he's up to it And he has pace.

Why are we playing plodders like Ellard and Curnow?