Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 21478 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 16: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #15
I've got a different mentality.

Don't give anyone anything.

There is only a couple of months left in the season.

If these guys can't force their way into contention we cut out ties and move on.

You either want it or you kind of want it.

The former types are the ones we want.  The latter are not necessarily worth persevering with.

With you 100% here, 3 Leos. Though I understood the LODS logic, we only want blokes who deserve a senior spot. We want to continue building a culture of reward for excellence/attitude/intensity etc. No easy promotions. I don't give a rusty f*ck where we finish on the ladder, only that we continue to concentrate and focus on building a sustainable culture of high achievement.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
I've got a different mentality.

Don't give anyone anything.

There is only a couple of months left in the season.

If these guys can't force their way into contention we cut out ties and move on.

You either want it or you kind of want it.

The former types are the ones we want.  The latter are not necessarily worth persevering with.

I tend to agree Thry. 

We've got a few blokes who are performing well in the NBs and it would be good to see them force their way into the 22.  If it was up to me, Billy Gowers would be replacing Byrne.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
With you 100% here, 3 Leos. Though I understood the LODS logic, we only want blokes who deserve a senior spot. We want to continue building a culture of reward for excellence/attitude/intensity etc. No easy promotions. I don't give a rusty f*ck where we finish on the ladder, only that we continue to concentrate and focus on building a sustainable culture of high achievement.

During the short MM reign we've seen the damage to club culture that happens when blokes get a run when they don't deserve it.

No more, if you can't push your way into our broken down 1s then I'm afraid it's,

Hasta La Vista babe!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
200 games and Walker still doesn't have a position.

Currently without Armfield, Murphy and Boekhorst to choose from we lack run. Why not play Walker through the midfield?! Has the body and the endurance. Might teach him to play accountable football and stop trying to be a kangaroo!

Reply #19

Currently without Armfield, Murphy and Boekhorst to choose from we lack run. Why not play Walker through the midfield?! Has the body and the endurance. Might teach him to play accountable football and stop trying to be a kangaroo!

It's a good idea, I like it.

Reply #20

I noticed him on the ball at times on Sat - not that he made a lot of difference.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21

I agree. We recruited him a a midfielder, he has the speed and tank to play there yet we have barely done it in 200 games. Might give him a new lease of life, you never know. We need mids for sure.

Re: Rd 16: Ppre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #22
Which 2nd key forward would you like to pick?

Jones who isn't the answer
Jaksch who many don't believe is the answer
McKay who hasn't played all year.

Walker isn't working as a potential key forward
Everitt ditto

Silvagni is given a chance but isn't

The cupboard is bare. All we have is a key forward who can't kick straight and other players who we just try and fit into the key forward role

Jaksch has a had a good VFL season and surely deserves a shot. He's kicked 20 goals this season and that includes time in defence including games of 4,4,3 and 3 goals. No sure about anyone else but he gives me the impression he's at least  ready for a shot. He's the one forward we have who will lead. Whether he's the answer or not, no guarantees I admit, time will tell, he's a key forward, who will take a man and take the pressure off Casboult. Casboult played much better when Jones was there as it allowed him to get up the ground and take marks. It's just a better structure. Casboult always plays better when he gets a run on the ball too. Problem with picking two ruckmen is they are dead useless when they are not on the ball. Defence won't take them seriously when they're resting they just go to Casboult.

Reply #23
Jaksch has a had a good VFL season and surely deserves a shot. He's kicked 20 goals this season and that includes time in defence including games of 4,4,3 and 3 goals. No sure about anyone else but he gives me the impression he's at least  ready for a shot. He's the one forward we have who will lead. Whether he's the answer or not, no guarantees I admit, time will tell, he's a key forward, who will take a man and take the pressure off Casboult. Casboult played much better when Jones was there as it allowed him to get up the ground and take marks. It's just a better structure. Casboult always plays better when he gets a run on the ball too. Problem with picking two ruckmen is they are dead useless when they are not on the ball. Defence won't take them seriously when they're resting they just go to Casboult.

Our ruckmen generally go to Cas as well.

Reply #24
Wouldnt bother with Walker in the middle....its over for us this season and I'd be more interested in seeing if Gowers can play as a mid for the future.....Walker would be out of my team this week and I wouldnt be rushing him back either unless he can light it up in the twos...

Reply #25
Wouldnt bother with Walker in the middle....its over for us this season and I'd be more interested in seeing if Gowers can play as a mid for the future.....Walker would be out of my team this week and I wouldnt be rushing him back either unless he can light it up in the twos...
Unfortunately for AW, I must agree.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
Problem with picking two ruckmen is they are dead useless when they are not on the ball. Defence won't take them seriously when they're resting they just go to Casboult.

Yet last weekend Phillips was probably looking the 2nd most likely after White to score from a contested mark inside F50.

I think in another year or two  Phillips will go OK, I suspect McKay if he delivers on expectations will pass Jaksch by quite rapidly. With C.Curnow also in the side and floating forward I cannot see a F50 spot for Jaksch unless we trade away Casboult.

Jaksch best bet for a long Carlton career may be as a replacement for Jammo!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
I don't give a stuff who comes in, but someone has to come in and give Casboult a chop out. I could care less if it's Jaksch or Jones...but it has to be one of them.

Casboult is being used as the outlet marking option long from kick ins, or on the wing and we wonder why he's not taking grabs in front of goal or inside 50 like he was earlier in the season...the bloke cannot be expected to do everything, plus the oppo has worked out he's the only one over 190cm that needs to be manned up!

Make shifting it with medium forwards like Walker and Everett ain't working either. Junk time goals are papering over their enormous cracks.

And while we're at it...if the coaching staff aren't telling Tuohy to keep it more simple, then they're not doing their jobs. He's trying too much and it's not coming off. In fact, he's been terrible. First instruction should be to ban that play on, stat building kick out, which invariably results in the ball coming straight back in and costing us goals!

Reply #28
I don't give a stuff who comes in, but someone has to come in and give Casboult a chop out. I could care less if it's Jaksch or Jones...but it has to be one of them.

Casboult is being used as the outlet marking option long from kick ins, or on the wing and we wonder why he's not taking grabs in front of goal or inside 50 like he was earlier in the season...the bloke cannot be expected to do everything, plus the oppo has worked out he's the only one over 190cm that needs to be manned up!

Make shifting it with medium forwards like Walker and Everett ain't working either. Junk time goals are papering over their enormous cracks.

And while we're at it...if the coaching staff aren't telling Tuohy to keep it more simple, then they're not doing their jobs. He's trying too much and it's not coming off. In fact, he's been terrible. First instruction should be to ban that play on, stat building kick out, which invariably results in the ball coming straight back in and costing us goals!

Agree with the first, but not so much with the second.

Cas can't be the only big body, particularly with the less than vigorous Everitt. Dre pulls out of contests and tackles.

2E hasn't been great (has been caught too often) but I still feel he's a bit of a victim of a team that isn't running or spreading enough or quickly enough. Sides that run well seem to all go at once whereas Zac takes off shouting"follow me boys!!!" and there's crickets. I don't think we are instinctive enough in that regard.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #29
One of the things causing major problems regarding our mids is that of turnovers in our attacking half. All too often they push up the ground when we are in possession only to have to sprint all the way back when we turn it over. It's a huuge waste of energy and no wonder we are progressively exhausted as the game wears on. Notice it most in the last 10 mins of each Qtr and especially in the 4Q. In short we have to work far too hard covering errors.

Consequently the guys are too knackered to make options available for the likes of 2E and he can then get caught in multiple minds.

This has been going on for a very long time and was very noticeable v. the Pies (who were almost as bad). We just need several more really skilled players I'm afraid.

If we do the same v. the Crows then it could get ugly.
Reality always wins in the end.