Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017: Rd 6: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Preston (Read 11206 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017: Rd 6: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Preston

Reply #30
He's played brilliantly in two roles this year, One as a ruck/forward, the other as a key defender. Fitting him in somewhere is the hard bit. Around the ground as a ruckman he was so damaging, including physically to the opposition, when he played there and hit the scoreboard too, now playing just  as brilliantly as a key defender. Levi wouldn't want to struggle for a couple of games despite an good year so far.

Reply #31
Jones can play Ruck/Forward and showed he is pretty handy at KPD. In the past he had a great set of hands but just didnt work hard enough on the defensive side when ball was in forward line. His man was running a merry dance around him.

I am sure SOS and team will figure it out.

Reply #32
Jones hysteria!

Pat on the back to the bloke. He's putting the VFL level to the sword which hopefully will translate to AFL level when an opportunity comes up.

I might not get too carries away until we see him do that but would love to see him come off as a CHB.

Reply #33
Looking at the highlights... fair to say the opposition was abysmal?

Our blokes doing well regardless obviously but Sandy looked bloody aweful.

Reply #34

Before today Sandringham were equal 3rd on the ladder with us, our three previous wins were against bottom sides.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
I have an idea.  Give Rowe or Levi a spell.  Play either of those two in the ruck support role, and play Jones in the ones in Rowe's role.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #36

The dangers of highlights Jeza. Sandy were good. They were hard at it, especially in the first when they set up their lead. They came out breathing fire in the third... nuh, our boys pressured them into errors and we were just better. Credit given where it is due, Sandy are no mugs. The win is very credible due to a terrific, disciplined team effort. We overran them in the last but that was due, simply, to sustained pressure. Hardly a passenger.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #37
I have an idea.  Give Rowe or Levi a spell.  Play either of those two in the ruck support role, and play Jones in the ones in Rowe's role.

What if you trade Rowe at seasons end and keep Jones to play his role?
 Rowes best season.... but how many more does he have?
Jones could potentially hold down a KPD spot for 6 years.

Reply #38
I guess before we make any firm judgements we need to see him again at senior level in the defender role.
It's why it's important he gets some (not just one) games during the year.

Reply #39

It must be a consideration but I get the feeling Sammy might be untouchable.

The only way we'd do it is if (and it's a big if) Liam did perform in the role , that it would be explained to Sammy that his opportunities might be limited going forward. You'd put a fair contract in front of him (I don't know when his ends) and say you're welcome here but if you want to explore your options we support that.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #40

If you wanna trade someone, trade Jones.

Rowe > Jones....yes even if he does have less years left.

We already have Marchbank, Plowman, Macreadie, Weitering to hold down the key forwards of the future. Jones is already behind all of them.

Reply #41
Catch 22   To get any value for Jones we would have to play him in the 1's.  Having said that I'm sure a few teams will be watching his progress with interest.

Reply #42
I cannot see us trading out Rowe tbh. He has become an almost beloved figure and important as a father figure to our young guys. I would be concerned to see him go. Jones' terrific form is great news for sure but we would need to see him consolidate that with a number of senior games before we can be clear about his future role with us.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #43
Didn't realize that Jones' efforts were against Josh Bruce. Bruce can play and would be dangerous in even a weak side. Only adds to LJ's credibility from this effort.

Reply #44
Didn't realize that Jones' efforts were against Josh Bruce. Bruce can play and would be dangerous in even a weak side. Only adds to LJ's credibility from this effort.

He tore Bruce a newy. Not only, as Ye Rat O' the River pointed out, did he beat Bruce but would frequently leave him to help out in other contests and invariably impact that contest in some way.

With all the Jones love, which is richly deserved, I temper my enthusiasm with the fact that he aint playing seniors and showing this great form at the highest level. But, damn, he couldn't play any better at seconds level and it would be unfair for him not to be promoted... though the injury he got just a few minutes from the end of yesterday's game might end any promotion speculation. Hope it's not serious. He's only just turned 26 so there's still plenty of footy in him.

Thoughts of trading Rowe, sorry, but I think there's no chance. He's not perfect but he's a bloody rock down back.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17