Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 21187 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #120
Marngrook footy show - most of the panel tipped kangaroos by 60pts :-[
Hope the boys see they have egg on their face. The little bald dh dismissed the Blues as if we were a non existent ????
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #121
Marngrook footy show - most of the panel tipped kangaroos by 60pts :-[
Hope the boys see they have egg on their face. The little bald dh dismissed the Blues as if we were a non existent ????

Obviously they didnt watch North Melbourne last week.......we should win by 5 goals IMO.

Reply #122
Yes,  but this the CFC,  we've become habituated to our team chucking it in.   The whole scenario is so familiar.... Side under pressure comes out fired up,  place us under pressure..... Game essentially  over by twenty minute mark of first quarter.   Plus,  at least one of ours will get nailed (Ziebell and Cunnington and Dumont have form), they'll get f all sanction... And don't get me started on the sh1t umpiring we'll be on the end of.   If Gloutftis runs out we may as well go home anyway.  Touch Brown and he'll get a free,  while Our Forwards will be molested with impunity by the likes of Thompson the high spoiler all game.

If the above happens I want the blowtorch applied.... Over it.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #123
Obviously they didnt watch North Melbourne last week.......we should win by 5 goals IMO.

Agree & 5 goals at least.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #124
Stocker confirmed as a definite in. So I'm guessing him along with Curnow and one of either Phillips/Lobbe and the other I'd have is Setterfield. He was running into some good form before getting suspended.

For mine:

IN: Stocker, Setterfield, Curnow, Phillips
OUT: Kreuzer, McGovern, Simpson, Newman

It's pretty much like for like ins/outs other than Setterfield who is probably more wing/midfield but I reckon they can cover the others. Plowman probably lucky that Simpson and Newman are both out as his form has been terrible. Please don't bring Garlett back to play in defence.

Reply #125
So Stocker to debut, no other confirmed changes but one assumes Charlie is in for Ed's 150th, and a ruck for SpecialK.

That leaves one spot, Setterfield or Williamson?

As much as I like and want Willo, I think Setterfield could have a big day against Norp and in relative retrospect he hadn't done anything wrong to be banned in the first place!

Stocker is no doubt a concession about our kicking skills, because he doesn't look quite ready but if we can get the ball in his hands off the HBF he'll give somebody some nice delivery.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #126
Curnow has been confirmed via the club on Twitter also. Said Willo is in consideration. If Setters come in I dare say they move LOB back.

Reply #127
Kennedy is far ahead in the craft learning department. Why does he have to improve his game in the twos when O’Brien gets to work on his in the big time?

O’Brien might be the better runner but he lacks match smarts and strength. I’d rather see Kennedy run less but collect 20 possessions working mostly in the packs helping Cripps than O’Brien gathering 10 possessions running all over the park.

The problem with Kennedy is that he’s not working hard enough yet.  The last thing we need is a slow midfielder who doesn’t apply defensive pressure.  O’Brien may not be getting much of the pill but he’s working his butt off to apply defensive pressure.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #128
The problem with Kennedy is that he’s not working hard enough yet.  The last thing we need is a slow midfielder who doesn’t apply defensive pressure.  O’Brien may not be getting much of the pill but he’s working his butt off to apply defensive pressure.

I think Kennedy is a bit harshly judge at times, he wins plenty of contested footy and we lack that forward of our D50.

I'd love to see a D50 setup that lets Weitering and Stocker push forward to deliver the ball inside F50 much more often. When a player like Weitering starts getting shots around the F50 arc we will look far far more dangerous, and life for Charlie, McGovern and McKay will get easier.

It's time we made some opposition forwards defend!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129

On last VFL match, Willo shouldnt come in for being undisciplined.

Stocker is probably the one who we should gift a game to at this stage to give him a taste of the big time, and because he is a bigger body who seems to work his way through traffic really well even when the pressure is on.

O'Brien is not AFL ready yet, and its time for him to get a reprieve and build some form in the VFL.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--lochie-o-brien

His pressure acts might be fine, but you can't dine out on those with those sorts of statistics.

He has played 4 matches.

averaging 9.2 disposals, 1.2 tackles a game, 0.5 goals a game, and 2.2 clangers a game.

If he wasnt a newbie he would be in deep trouble, and he isnt playing in starvation corner like some of our other small forwards have.  Food for thought:

Fasolo's stats:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--alex-fasolo

He has played 2 matches.

averaging 7 disposals,  3 tackles a game,1 goal a game, 2.5 clangers a game.

Jarred Garlett:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--jarrod-garlett

he has played 2 matches.

Averaging 11 disposals, 3.5 tackles a game, 0 Goals a game, 3.5 clangers a game.

Fasolo and Garlett are playing very different roles to O'Brien too.  The clangers for Jarrod are a real concern, but he is getting more of the footy and tackling more on average, and playing a role that is a bit different to what he is used to.

The only reason O'Brien gets a game is because he is young and has a future, but I dont think that warrants playing AFL level footy ahead of others who are more likely to impact a game.  Lets not pretend that Garlett and Fasolo played in matches against Port and Richmond which we lost, whilst O'Brien has had the benefit of better chemistry from our team as well as playing a role more conducive to getting his hands on the pill more frequently in games where we were a better chance to win and where the team synergy was improving.  We should get better every week from here.

This week I wouldnt necessarily drop O'Brien due to simply weight of numbers going in and out of the team, but he is in the gun.  4 matches with those sorts of stats is just not good enough for a player who should be helping our outside game.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #130
No disrespect to the young lad, but he has shown nothing to date to suggest he should have been a #10 pick...

At least with Paddy, the talent is obvious....O'Brien?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #131
No disrespect to the young lad, but he has shown nothing to date to suggest he should have been a #10 pick...

At least with Paddy, the talent is obvious....O'Brien?

I agree Fly, but thats not his fault, and we need to be mindful of that.

He does have time on his side.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/K/Kade_Simpson.html

Simpson took a little while to get going.  There are some similarities with O Brien.

He shouldnt be playing at the moment, and arguably, at another club he wouldnt be and he should be coming in this week, but there isnt much to say about that.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #132
Simpson took a little while to get going.  There are some similarities with O Brien.

Footywire is a great site to compare, firstly Simmo didn't get a game until he was 20 or so, O'Brien has played 20 games and he is not yet 20.

If I look at Simmo's 4th season of 22 games compared to O'Brien's 22 games so far it not much difference;

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=4&playerStatus2=A&tid2=4&type=A&pid1=446&pid2=6492&fid1=A&fopt1=22&fid2=C
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
Philips, Curnow, Williamson, Stocker

No real surprises there.

Ruckman for ruckman
Tall forward for tall forward
Back flankers for back flankers.

Reply #134
townsend....I'm a bit surprised that Setterfield misses out. He was running into some form before being suspended. That said, rapt to seem Williamson back. His kicking out of the backline was a feature back in 2017 and will be a handy replacement for Newman in that respect. But that leaves us pretty "tall" down back with Jones, Marchbank, Weitering, Williamson and Plowman? North aren't exactly endowed with height up forward at the moment.