Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 21014 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #30
Newman is a big loss if that's the case. His ball use has been pretty good and better than most. No way would you pull Jones out of FB to ruck part time.....we'll probably play Ben Brown into form at that rate. Jones to play on Brown and follow him around. It'll be Phillips or Lobbe with Casboult as backup I reckon...regardless of whether Charlie comes up.

IN: Setterfield, Phillips, Kennedy, Stocker (or Williamson)
OUT: Kreuzer, Simpson, Newman, O'Brien

Reply #32
Willo in for Newman
Philips in for Kreuzer
Setterfield in for Simpson
Charlie in (?) for McGovern (inj?)?

Reply #33
Thats gonna hurt our chances of winning...alot! :( Tractor was instrumental in that first half. None of our other ruckman come close.

I hope we're not that reliant on one man for victory! A big loss, yes, but plenty of sides win big without key players.

This is a game we are expected to win and win well.

Setterfield, C Curnow, Phillips and Williamson seem logical inclusions. Or maybe we take a risk and ruck Meat rather than bringing in Flip?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #34
We may go with Charlie on a wing if he plays.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-ponder-richo-role-for-curnow-20190430-p51ioz.html?fbclid=IwAR23VuyGsb-w3j946EfspyVIMrn-YVyJF4ClXaWpUsO-CeJecY2Iev2aGW4

Thanks Mick Gleeson.  ::)

Pretty sure i floated that exact idea over 2 weeks ago on this site. April 15th to be exact.

I broke the AFLW signings a week before anyone else.

Maybe i should start collecting a wage?  ;D

Reply #35

Pretty sure i floated that exact idea over 2 weeks ago on this site. April 15th to be exact.

You can ask....lol.

I spoke about it last week too in the lead up to last week's game. We can't play 4 talls forwards so I figured Charlie can move to the wing and play a midfield role something he played during his u18 days.

Reply #36
You can ask....lol.

I spoke about it last week too in the lead up to last week's game. We can't play 4 talls forwards so I figured Charlie can move to the wing and play a midfield role something he played during his u18 days.

Do we really need 3 talls up forward?

I reckon #1 ruck plus Jones (down back) + H (up front) as spare rucks should be ample unless the opposition puts out Gawn and Preuss (for example).

Harry, the Guv and Jack/Cripps up forward + 3 smaller types...

With Charlie playing the ruck rover role....roaming forward of centre (sorry Levi)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37

I think you'll find a good number of us, and other pundits, have also called for Charlie to play further up the ground and more than 2 weeks ago. Good to see you've got a 'healthy' ego. ;) ;)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
I think you'll find a good number of us, and other pundits, have also called for Charlie to play further up the ground and more than 2 weeks ago. Good to see you've got a 'healthy' ego. ;) ;)

Beat me to it Baggers, well, at least, I refrained!  ;D
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #39

Yeah, ever since he was drafted, sure, i have too.

Point of that was that i wanted Charlie on the wing because our forward line was not functioning with him in it, so move him.

That was the basis of his argument/article.....and the reason he collected his pay cheque. ;)

Reply #40
You can ask....lol.

Will you please stop claiming that Charlie played in the midfield as an under 18!  He didn’t, despite what Terry Wallets may think ????

Charlie played as a key defender, ruckman, then key forward.  He did not play as a midfielder.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #41
Will you please stop claiming that Charlie played in the midfield as an under 18!  He didn’t, despite what Terry Wallets may think ????

Charlie played as a key defender, ruckman, then key forward.  He did not play as a midfielder.
I personally dont think he'll be any good in the midfield. Sure he can run and supposedly has a big tank, but he has shown me nothing to suggest he knows how to win the footy and play in the midfield.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
He's surely a high half forward, Nick Riewoldt style. Not many players can run with him all day and still compete at marking contests

Reply #43
He's surely a high half forward, Nick Riewoldt style. Not many players can run with him all day and still compete at marking contests

Agreed. Playing the traditional wing role is not the same as playing midfield as we know it today....

He'd be the linkman....will outrun most and out mark any....not sure what the problem is DJC?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44
Agreed. Playing the traditional wing role is not the same as playing midfield as we know it today....

He'd be the linkman....will outrun most and out mark any....not sure what the problem is DJC?
I'd guess though that with his knee injury his running power will be somewhat reduced.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time