Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 21321 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Possibilities: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #60
All three of them are senior players that form part of the framework upon which we are developing our young talent. That is the worst aspect imo and it remains to be seen whether others can fill the gap in terms of wise heads and maturity under pressure. We don't exactly have a lot of this to burn - 3 is a big number.

Newman gives the impression of maturity but he’s still very much a novice with under 40 games.  He is a great addition to our list and will be an absolute gun when he has 100+ under his belt.

However, relative to potential replacements; Williamson, Stocker, Macreadie and Schumacher, Newman is a seasoned veteran.

It seems that there’s a chance that Kreuzer will get up for game but we’re still replacing 350 games of experience with players who will have up to 20 games between them.  I would play SOJ in defence and bring in one of Stocker and Willo.  I’m not sure who will go out for Charlie and that may depend on the seriousness of Kreuzer’s cork - fingers crossed!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
Assuming Kreuzer is ok, two changes   Out: Simpson,  Newman   In C Curnow, Stocker

Casboult needs to stay as Kreuzer insurance and second ruck
Stocker is more match fit than Williamson at this stage.
C Curnow to play Jack's role from last week, Jack to assist down back. 

Reply #62
@ DJC

Yes indeed. That lack of mature depth is probably our biggest hurdle  to overcome atm. However, I think we are close to the breakthrough and a win this week would be invaluable.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #63
Club injury report states Kreuzer out this week.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
Club injury report states Kreuzer out this week.

That's not 100% correct LP:

There could also be a vacancy in the ruck, with Matthew Kreuzer sustaining a cork to his hamstring in the Round 6 clash. 

“Matty Kreuzer got a cork to his hamstring in the game, which caused him to change his running mechanics,” he said.

“He’s actually got a bit of muscle overload to his adductor region and inside hamstring. It will probably see him miss a week."
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #65
That makes sense as at the ground I could see him struggling to run but it certainly wasn't a pulled muscle.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #66
Simpson and Newman  are more about the structure of the defence and the roles they play.
Jones has been great this year.. but I wonder whether some of his uncertainty on the weekend stemmed from their missing as the game progressed
That's where it may be hard to cover

BTW I think Newman has been more than just a good depth player for us this year.

I found the comments from the Dale Amos interview on SEN (which I listened to last night) really illuminating and encouraging in this regard.

He was asked about the loss of Simmo / his leadership in last week's game when he was off injured. Amos pointed out that Daisy stepped up big time and filled that breach really well... and that our poor third qtr had little to do with injuries but more about failure to adjust and adapt to the Dawks increased effort/pressure/set-ups after half time. (And don't underestimate the huge growth in leadership down back from Weitering).

I wonder if there's a trap in looking at injuries (unless it's a ridiculous number) and how it sets up excuses in advance for any poor showing against a side we should, and must, belt? The run and huge left boot of Willo might actually improve our backline, plus he brings some much needed mongrel. Charlie running up and back between the arcs will improve us. Kreuzer is a loss, but we're used to it, we know the bloke is a glass man (not a criticism, just a statement of reality) and sadly cannot be depended on for consistent appearances... ditto Flip.

Our 'ins' for this week should more than compensate for the 'outs.' There is no hiding from the fact that if we have progressed as far as some believe then we should account for the 2nd bottom side quite well.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #67
That makes sense as at the ground I could see him struggling to run but it certainly wasn't a pulled muscle.

He couldn't jump MBB, if he has an abductor tear it can take weeks. By the way, many of you will remember he's played through this once before a couple of years back, and many complained about his apparent lack of form and influence during that same period. Back then at the time I thought he looked like he had an iliopsoas tear, it looks the same now.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
I found the comments from the Dale Amos interview on SEN (which I listened to last night) really illuminating and encouraging in this regard.

He was asked about the loss of Simmo / his leadership in last week's game when he was off injured. Amos pointed out that Daisy stepped up big time and filled that breach really well... and that our poor third qtr had little to do with injuries but more about failure to adjust and adapt to the Dawks increased effort/pressure/set-ups after half time. (And don't underestimate the huge growth in leadership down back from Weitering).

I wonder if there's a trap in looking at injuries (unless it's a ridiculous number) and how it sets up excuses in advance for any poor showing against a side we should, and must, belt? The run and huge left boot of Willo might actually improve our backline, plus he brings some much needed mongrel. Charlie running up and back between the arcs will improve us. Kreuzer is a loss, but we're used to it, we know the bloke is a glass man (not a criticism, just a statement of reality) and sadly cannot be depended on for consistent appearances... ditto Flip.

Our 'ins' for this week should more than compensate for the 'outs.' There is no hiding from the fact that if we have progressed as far as some believe then we should account for the 2nd bottom side quite well.

Williamson is a fav of mine and rebounded the ball well vs Werribee but his defending was very average and he had about 5 goals kicked on him for the game, looks like he needs another game to get his head around playing defense at senior level IMO.

Reply #69
X2, but I'd play him. It's a risk,  but nobody else available can really do the role.    He's a good match up for those medium types like Ziebell,  DeGoey etc

Quality running defenders - something we need to address next draft period.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #70
Williamson is a fav of mine and rebounded the ball well vs Werribee but his defending was very average and he had about 5 goals kicked on him for the game, looks like he needs another game to get his head around playing defense at senior level IMO.

We had some many ins in VFL it might be hard to read that result, frequent multiple changes break down systems faster than an active opposition!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
I'm more than willing to cut Willo some slack on conceding 5 gls, especially when you consider the circumstances of most of those goals. As the game wore on he regained composure (after a disastrous 1st qtr).

But early on, I agree, he had a shocker but I wonder if that just wasn't over exuberance and want to prove his worth to get back into the seniors... seems to me he's champing at the bit to regain his place. And didn't we all have Willo in our best back-line scenario at season's start?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #72
We just need Willo's type in the 1s, that is how I see it anyway!

I think Phillips will be an in for Kreuzer, he isn't a great tap ruckmen but he can nullify Goldstein who is a great tap ruckmen. Goldstein isn't what he use to be around the ground, so that is less of an issue this week.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
X2, but I'd play him. It's a risk,  but nobody else available can really do the role.    He's a good match up for those medium types like Ziebell,  DeGoey etc

Quality running defenders - something we need to address next draft period.

And he won't take a backward step if Ziebell, Cunnington start getting dirty....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #74
And he won't take a backward step if Ziebell, Cunnington start getting dirty....

The worry is someone like Marchbank will though, I realise he's an injury plagued career so far, but he's very disappointing.

Am I being unfair to Marchbank, relative to say Weitering or Jones?
The Force Awakens!