Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 6: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 7795 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 6: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #15
Huge win. This is an up and down season where most teams can beat each other. But to tear the dogs apart like that seems like a pretty big step forward as they have been in excellent form.

We exposed their backline ruthlessly though. They really rely on intercept marks and our bug guys brought it to ground all night. That and some massive efforts from a few non-Cripps midfielders.

Pitto was excellent and really liked Kennedy's game.

Reply #16
This is the sort of win that makes 'hub living' worthwhile. A great time to be around each other.

Even greater time being around your outclassed opponents. Be ruthless in victory 😤
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
Beating bogans like Beveridge, Libba and that
Mullet headed Smith was very enjoyable especially after Smith tried to intimidate Walsh early in the game.
We played the right game style to suit the conditions and did it with an injured Cripps.
Thought Kennedy was a good choice in the conditions and we had contributions from most players. Very even team effort and good coaching from Teague..

Reply #18
That injury to Murphy looked really bad... Could be foot or Achilles.  
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #20
Strange, most thought 3 tall forwards was a poor choice in wet conditions. Me included. Turns out their great aerial work, marks, and bringing it to ground, won us the game.

All the players I hoped to see more from stood up in style.
Take a bow: H, McGovern, Samo, even Newnes did enough. Levi was sensational again.

Favorite moment for me: H chase down tackle on JJ.
Favorite theme: goal kicking accuracy in slippery conditions
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #21
Fun fact.

This is the first time we've been in the 8 since Bombers got booted from it and let us in it thanks to the drugs saga.
Another fun fact: the last 3 times we've kicked over 100 points have been against the Bulldogs.

Another: this is our biggest win since 2014(!!!!), as far as the score goes.
Our 3 wins have been against teams who think they are contenders!

One last not so fun fact: he haven't won when we've been on free to air TV since 2018, when we managed the feat once. We must like being on Fox.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #22
Pittonet is sure making the most of it. 

Reply #23
I liked the precision kicking and the fast thinking.
Oh and the leading and marking in the forward line.
Now to beat the Port Pretenders.
Westhoff always plays well against us.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #24
Wow,

I didn’t see this one coming? How is Cripps shoulder.?
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #25
CARLTON                        5.2     8.5     10.6     16.7 (103)
WESTERN BULLDOGS     2.1     5.2      7.6       7.9 (51)

GOALS
Carlton: Betts 4, McKay 3, Gibbons 2, Martin 2, McGovern 2, Curnow, Newnes, Casboult
Western Bulldogs: Vandermeer 2, Smith, Dale, Lipinski, Wallis, Bontempelli

BEST
Carlton: Setterfield, McKay, Kennedy, Curnow, Martin, Gibbons, Petrevski-Seton
Western Bulldogs: Smith, Liberatore, Macrae, English, Bontempelli
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #26
The linking up was massive.

I kept waiting for us to fade and I feel like we did early in the third but then we ground it out, which is what good teams do.

Thought H played very well, he kept contesting. Levi is a different player and I’m loving it.

I still can’t quite believe that was us playing like that for the whole game. I hope we back it up well next week otherwise today will be another one step forward 3 steps back.

Thought Kennedy did some very nice things, smart player. Setters did well, Cunners comes in and makes good decisions.

And as per last week, even though we won this week, I question some of the umpiring decisions, every team gets good and bad calls but sometimes people excuse the higher free kick count to the opposition because they’re first to the ball - this time clearly they weren’t yet still 23-9 free kicks?

Reply #27
Walsh really worries me EB. He's clearly got elite fitness levels but I'm not seeing the physical traits eg build/body mass, burst speed, penetrating kicking or dazzling ball use to see him busting games open.  Looks to be an accumulator moreso than "take the game on and bust it open" kind of player.   As Lods pointed out,  his kicking is horrible ATM.   He's solid but I'm not seeing next level.

Reply #28
Our early forward pressure really set the tone.

Thought Kennedy, Gibbons, Martin, Pittonet and Casboult were our best on a night when Cripps and Docherty were relatively quiet.

Kennedy provided that aggressive big body that we’ve been craving in the middle and is moving much more freely than he has for a long time. Very happy for him as it’s been a long road from that wretched ankle injury.

Gibbons now belongs at this level and is a consistent contributor and Martin was all class at critical times of the game and showed that he’s as adept as a marking forward as he is on the ground. Thank you SOS.

Our key position talls did everything that could reasonably be asked of them and it was great to see Betts, McKay, Gov and Casboult finish the work up the ground so efficiently.

Samo, Setterfield, Walsh, Williamson, Simpson all had good moments

Areas to improve, Murphy & Cunningham have far more to give and Plowman and Newnes need to work on eliminating mistakes

Overall a great feeling to win by 50+ and a huge step forward for our club!

Reply #29
Gibbons has been a value add freebie.