Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 6: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 7682 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 6: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #30
Will be real hard to give votes this week such was the even spread amongst our boys. Rarely have I thought, if we just get it into our forward 50 we are a chance of scoring. The stuff up by Murphy was probably the only low-light of the game and I think if he gets a maximum result right there and then the game would've been over there and then. Most pleasing aspect was that we've played so well without Cripps having an impact. So are we finally getting better?
Oh, and I know there are folks out there that are of the "umpires didn't cost us the game" type mantra, but F-me I must be friggin living in some sort of psycho parallel universe because every week this year there are things that are going on out there on the ground that are friggin twilight zone mind-f$$kin crazy that I don't see in the other games that I watch.
So I must be just brain-dead one-eyed.

Reply #31
Walsh really worries me EB. He's clearly got elite fitness levels but I'm not seeing the physical traits eg build/body mass, burst speed, penetrating kicking or dazzling ball use to see him busting games open.  Looks to be an accumulator moreso than "take the game on and bust it open" kind of player.   As Lods pointed out,  his kicking is horrible ATM.   He's solid but I'm not seeing next level.

Put him on a HBF. Where the heat often is....he needs to get involved every which way.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
Hey LP,

Prepared to cut Pittonet some slack yet?  C:-)  :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #33
Our early forward pressure really set the tone.

Thought Kennedy, Gibbons, Martin, Pittonet and Casboult were our best on a night when Cripps and Docherty were relatively quiet.

Kennedy provided that aggressive big body that we’ve been craving in the middle and is moving much more freely than he has for a long time. Very happy for him as it’s been a long road from that wretched ankle injury.

Gibbons now belongs at this level and is a consistent contributor and Martin was all class at critical times of the game and showed that he’s as adept as a marking forward as he is on the ground. Thank you SOS.

Our key position talls did everything that could reasonably be asked of them and it was great to see Betts, McKay, Gov and Casboult finish the work up the ground so efficiently.

Samo, Setterfield, Walsh, Williamson, Simpson all had good moments

Areas to improve, Murphy & Cunningham have far more to give and Plowman and Newnes need to work on eliminating mistakes

Overall a great feeling to win by 50+ and a huge step forward for our club!

Thought both Plow and Newnes were very solid. Sure Plow slipped over tailing Bont on the lead once...other than that?

The ex Sainter, clearly improving every week. Am I sold? No and he's first on the chopping block but short of injuries to Smurf/Crippa you keep the winning 22.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #34
I'd prefer to see a few games like this before being convinced. Given last year's game and this game, it's not unreasonable to at least speculate that we may simply be the Doggies bogey team.
Agree I want to see it every week, I am convinced that playing 4 qtrs like that will trouble all opponents. Even the crap umpiring was taken out of the equation as I said it would after the StK game when everyone was whinging about it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35
Beating bogans like Beveridge, Libba and that
Mullet headed Smith was very enjoyable especially after Smith tried to intimidate Walsh early in the game.
We played the right game style to suit the conditions and did it with an injured Cripps.
Thought Kennedy was a good choice in the conditions and we had contributions from most players. Very even team effort and good coaching from Teague..

Jack Martin was the one for mine, classy dancing feet and hard at it all night, set the tone.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #36
The linking up was massive.

I kept waiting for us to fade and I feel like we did early in the third but then we ground it out, which is what good teams do.

Thought H played very well, he kept contesting. Levi is a different player and I’m loving it.

I still can’t quite believe that was us playing like that for the whole game. I hope we back it up well next week otherwise today will be another one step forward 3 steps back.

Thought Kennedy did some very nice things, smart player. Setters did well, Cunners comes in and makes good decisions.

And as per last week, even though we won this week, I question some of the umpiring decisions, every team gets good and bad calls but sometimes people excuse the higher free kick count to the opposition because they’re first to the ball - this time clearly they weren’t yet still 23-9 free kicks?

This. Even if he didn't mark it he contested and the ball hit the deck....

Kennedy can still become an elite mid. He's only just 23 after all. And appears very fit and injury free this year.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
Jack Martin was the one for mine, classy dancing feet and hard at it all night, set the tone.

The kid was a truly elite talent as a teenager. The elite of the elite.

You don't lose that. Ever.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #38
Will be real hard to give votes this week such was the even spread amongst our boys. Rarely have I thought, if we just get it into our forward 50 we are a chance of scoring. The stuff up by Murphy was probably the only low-light of the game and I think if he gets a maximum result right there and then the game would've been over there and then. Most pleasing aspect was that we've played so well without Cripps having an impact. So are we finally getting better?
Oh, and I know there are folks out there that are of the "umpires didn't cost us the game" type mantra, but F-me I must be friggin living in some sort of psycho parallel universe because every week this year there are things that are going on out there on the ground that are friggin twilight zone mind-f$$kin crazy that I don't see in the other games that I watch.
So I must be just brain-dead one-eyed.
No they were aweful, but our play took them out of the equation.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #39
The kid was a truly elite talent as a teenager. The elite of the elite.

You don't lose that. Ever.
I had him BOG.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #41
Yes thank you SOS for Martin  O0

Reply #42
Thought both Plow and Newnes were very solid. Sure Plow slipped over tailing Bont on the lead once...other than that?

The ex Sainter, clearly improving every week. Am I sold? No and he's first on the chopping block but short of injuries to Smurf/Crippa you keep the winning 22.

Re Plow, it wasn’t a disaster but I watched him hesitate to run to a contest at a critical time and then run past the contest x2.

Reply #43
Re Plow, it wasn’t a disaster but I watched him hesitate to run to a contest at a critical time and then run past the contest x2.

I need to watch the replay - trouble with Kayo often tonight.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44
Yes thank you SOS for Martin  O0

I'm a broken record on this young man, but he's a better player than King Crippa.
Finals, then 4 in a row!