Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 6: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 7827 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 6: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #45
Yes thank you SOS for Martin  O0

I think between Jack and Eddie, they had 13 goal assists. Getting them in the right part of the ground makes for scoring efficiency.

The link ups were on song too. Got it to the good ball users like Jack, Samo, Cunners, and McGovern at times. What a difference that makes for our fwds.

Thought our mids did extremely well given Crippa's early injury and Murphy's late injury. Kennedy and Setters great around the contest. Ed got the job done yet again😤Gibbons is such a smart footballer and his tricks advantaged our boys. Great effort against a quality opponent.

Keeping Bruce and Schache insignificant was a credit to our big boys down back 👏

Fantastic four quarters tonight. Well done Blues 🥳
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #46
This is the game we needed. A convincing win over an in form team. That was the epitome of team first football, and the fact that we had so many good contributors shows that we’re building some real depth and can move away from our over reliance on Cripps.

On one of the post round analysis shows on Fox, Montagna was saying that he thinks we will be playing finals this year. I’m not convinced yet, but the thing that they failed to mention when talking about it is that we’ve already played 4 of the 7 teams above us on the ladder (beating 2 of them). Which means most of our games remaining are against teams below us, including Adelaide, Sydney, North Melbourne and the Gold Coast (who have lost a bit with Rowell going down). If we can keep building this momentum and hunger, I’m getting a bit of a Bulldogs circa 2015 feel about the season. Certainly not contenders at the pointy end, but maybe a chance for get some valuable finals experience into our younger players.

Reply #47
This is the game we needed. A convincing win over an in form team. That was the epitome of team first football, and the fact that we had so many good contributors shows that we’re building some real depth and can move away from our over reliance on Cripps.

On one of the post round analysis shows on Fox, Montagna was saying that he thinks we will be playing finals this year. I’m not convinced yet, but the thing that they failed to mention when talking about it is that we’ve already played 4 of the 7 teams above us on the ladder (beating 2 of them). Which means most of our games remaining are against teams below us, including Adelaide, Sydney, North Melbourne and the Gold Coast (who have lost a bit with Rowell going down). If we can keep building this momentum and hunger, I’m getting a bit of a Bulldogs circa 2015 feel about the season. Certainly not contenders at the pointy end, but maybe a chance for get some valuable finals experience into our younger players.

here here. Let's savour the win.

It was a mighty collective effort.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #48
Fun fact.

This is the first time we've been in the 8 since Bombers got booted from it and let us in it thanks to the drugs saga.

Best I've seen us play since 2011

Reply #49
What a great win.  I was particularly pleased with the efforts of Kennedy and Setterfield in the midfield.  They had a real presence and were not pushed aside the way Murphy and Fisher are so often.

It's the first time in quite a while we have played a few games without being hit by injuries and the players are showing real progress with a settled team

Also , congratulations to Harry.  I've been very critical of him in recent weeks and it's nice to get four quarters of good football from him.

So good to see a bit of mongrel, fewer turnovers, and such a positive spirit.

Reply #50
Gibbons has been a value add freebie.
Gibbons is important in a Lambert type of way, not pretty to watch but street smart and can kick and setup goals.
Also one of the few who can use his left foot and hit a target.

Reply #51
Walsh really worries me EB. He's clearly got elite fitness levels but I'm not seeing the physical traits eg build/body mass, burst speed, penetrating kicking or dazzling ball use to see him busting games open.  Looks to be an accumulator moreso than "take the game on and bust it open" kind of player.   As Lods pointed out,  his kicking is horrible ATM.   He's solid but I'm not seeing next level.
Prof, Walsh is an accumulator he will never be a silky user. At u18 level you get more time, the umps pay every free and off the ball stuff is stamped out. He is going to have to learn that bogans like Smith, Libba will try the physical stuff on and he will have to deal with it as Cripps can't be there every minute looking after him.
Two problems he has are his ball drop when kicking and he also has no developed left foot, the latter is because at u18 level he always had time and ability to go back to his right foot. Being played on the wing gives him more space and time so hopefully he can develop his kicking.

Reply #52
No tweet from Bryce ? I note Daisy posted a tweet after the game.

Reply #53
EB,  Gibbons looks like a bloke who has played a lot of senior footy, and refined his game because of it.   You can practice it at training,  but his ball use in game, particularly moving it on to advantage, is so superior to a lot of our younger players.   That's why I am so fearful that our younger players are going to stagnate in the absence of lower tier competitions.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #54
Well this game has proved that we have the ability to be successful and our major problem has been between the ears. Let's hope we have put that problem to bed and can now bring our best on a far more regular basis. Looking forward to the Port game and will be very nervous!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55
I watched three games over the weekend (fortunately not the Tigers v Swans!) and two of them were error filled, sub-standard footy.  We played in appalling conditions but the skill level of both teams was as good as dry weather footy.  What’s more, both teams tried to play positive footy.  Of course, the icing on the cake was our magnificent win.

It was interesting to hear Gerard Healy speculating about Levi making the All-Australian team.  That would have been unthinkable not so long ago.  One area of Levi’s game that has really improved is his ability to move the ball on quickly and get involved in chains of possession.

One aspect of Harry’s game that I really liked was his determination to bring the ball to the ground.  If he wasn’t in a position to clunk the ball, his intention was clearly to bring the ball down for our crumbers.

I don’t really understand the angst about Walsh; he is as hard as a cat’s head, wins his own ball and cops more than his share of opposition attention.  Yes, his disposal efficiency is down but that’s normal for players who rack up contested possessions.  He was also forced to bang the ball out of defence across his body several times and that’s always a 50/50 proposition.

Ed was outstanding yet again and Samo was brilliant.  The latter’s cool head, decision-making and precision ball use was so important.

Go Blues!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #56
Came to play last night.
Pressure was great, and led in part by young Eddie. Even if we only get the one year out of him ( I suspect it will be more) the example he'll provide going forward was more than worth the effort.
It was nice to be able to sit back halfway through the last quarter knowing the game was pretty much done and dusted.
100 points  on a 'foreign field' in the wet, with shortened game time was easily a 20+ goal performance under regular match conditions.
The most satisfying thing was that we had few passengers and lots of strong contributors especially amongst some of our more maligned. These guys just have to find some consistency and the critics will soon drop off.

Reply #57
Clearly a great win, but we've come crashing back to earth that many times, that I'm surprised any of us have even a single bone left intact. So I'd be wary of getting too far ahead of ourselves for now. Notwithstanding that, the competition is very even, and pretty much all teams have a win or two, then a loss or two etc. Momentum seems to be extremely difficult to maintain.

Reply #58
Late to the forum (again) so apologies if I touch on stuff already mentioned. But that was an outstanding TEAM win. Winners all over the ground....forward line all kicked goals....down back Jones was unstoppable and Weitering just looks like a different player this year...playing with confidence. SPS was clean in the conditions. And Martin is the silky class player that we've been missing for years IMO.

Pittonet would have to be one of the recruits of the year and impossible to see Kreuzer getting a game.

We need Kennedy to play more games like that and Williamson starting to find his feet again now which is another positive.

Gibbons has been a revelation this year and much has been made of the success of blokes like Pickett and Stack from state league selections but Gibbons has been rock steady...has he missed a game since Round 1 last year? Gibbons would be in top 5 of Fairest & Best if it was counted now. He can play the small forward role but has shown he's more than capable of going into the midfield and finding plenty of it.

Only worries for me are still Newnes and Plowman. Both fumble and use the ball poorly most of the time.

Reply #59
Didn't we sack the bloke doing all this recruiting?
The Force Awakens!