Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 6: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 7830 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 6: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #60
LP....SOS's final draft/trade period was heavily criticized but looking back now, it was pretty good:

1. Refused to budge on Jack Martin and effectively got him for nothing. He's only played half a dozen games for us but he's that silky class player we haven't had. But he's not just an outsider...he's tough and hard at it too and doesn't shirk a contest.
2. Pittonet has been superb since coming in....competitive in the ruck but gets around the ground and has pretty good skills for a big bloke too.
3. The decision to recruit Eddie was panned in some quarters but pretty sure it was pivotal in getting Martin to the club too. Eddie has never been a huge possession winner..but he makes them count. He'll kick 30+ goals this season and do exactly what he was recruited to do.
4. Kemp will be one to watch next year. This shortened season will probably be written off by many but this kid will hit next year fully recovered and ready to go and I'm tipping will be in there from Round 1.

Reply #61
4. Kemp will be one to watch next year. This shortened season will probably be written off by many but this kid will hit next year fully recovered and ready to go and I'm tipping will be in there from Round 1.
I keep forgetting this bloke, but his highlight package is probably superior to Charlie.

Some fans are going to be very unhappy in the future, because I can see a year or two down the track we might lose one or two players to trade.

I hope Lloyd and his cohorts know what they are doing, they've jumped on board the fresh timber like good little white-ants, I hope they don't eat the foundation out of our house and home. Really the hard work has been done, it's just available to fork up now!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
Every game bar one, Eagles last year, in the Teague era where we have come switched on and start well we have won. Every game we have lost, bar that one, we have started real slow. Plenty between the ears.

We're 9-8 under Teague. Go 9-8 this year and we likely play finals the way it's going. If we didn't piss 2 games down the drain with unswitched on bad starts we'd be equal top with Port. All a part of the maturing process I suppose.

Reply #63
Late to the forum (again) so apologies if I touch on stuff already mentioned. But that was an outstanding TEAM win. Winners all over the ground....forward line all kicked goals....down back Jones was unstoppable and Weitering just looks like a different player this year...playing with confidence. SPS was clean in the conditions. And Martin is the silky class player that we've been missing for years IMO.

Pittonet would have to be one of the recruits of the year and impossible to see Kreuzer getting a game.

We need Kennedy to play more games like that and Williamson starting to find his feet again now which is another positive.

Gibbons has been a revelation this year and much has been made of the success of blokes like Pickett and Stack from state league selections but Gibbons has been rock steady...has he missed a game since Round 1 last year? Gibbons would be in top 5 of Fairest & Best if it was counted now. He can play the small forward role but has shown he's more than capable of going into the midfield and finding plenty of it.

Only worries for me are still Newnes and Plowman. Both fumble and use the ball poorly most of the time.

I'm a fan of Williamson but he got lucky...the kid he was playing on Vandermeer(spelling)could have kicked 4 or 5 but missed some easy shots late which would have made it a ugly day for our man.
If he plays Gray or Rozee like that this week he will get slaughtered and we will lose the game....
Kennedy needs to back up this week and get his frame in at the coalface and set some blocks for his skipper, Curnow will have his hands full with Wines or Boak so Cripps will need Kennedy doing the tough stuff. Very pleased to see Kennedy do well and its been a strange selection to see him left out so often when Cripps needed the help he can provide.

Gibbons is an automatic selection now and its good to see him getting the plaudits he deserves, he was good when the game needed to be won, I know everyone got excited at the end but that was junk time and even Newnes was selling candy and looking like a champ and Eddie, Mcgovern etc was snapping goals but the real contributors were the ones who were doing it early and not when we had the game won.

Reply #64
I didn't think we would win. I thought we would be 15th on the ladder but instead we are 8th. In the run home we have 5 of the bottom six teams and the Gold Coast who I expect to drop off as the year progresses. We need 9 wins to make the finals so it is really in our hands. It is amazing the difference coming with the attitude to win rather than hope or pretend to want to win. I have always been a lot more bullish about our list than some who are on this site but I have really been concerned about the attitude and the consistency of attitude. This could be our break our game. Considering we have Silvagni, Dow, O'Brien, Marchbank and Fisher coming into the mix over the next couple of weeks, young players like DeKonning, Stocker and Philps up and about, and seasoned players like Lang, Goddard and Polson, we are in a strong position to make a real go of it. Also considering we have Charlie, Newman, Kreuzer and Kemp on the LTI list, we have a real chance to have a long term impact over the coming seasons. Carlton should be the pin up team of the AFL. We stuffed it up in the first part of the decade. We took our medicine, we went to the draft and got high end talent, we reorganized the Club, we traded off our better players and we got nothing from the AFL, yet here we are, on the cusp of something really good. I am sure we are capable of stuffing it up again, just as we have done so over the past twenty years, but I am forever hopeful

Reply #65
Gibbons is important in a Lambert type of way, not pretty to watch but street smart and can kick and setup goals.
Also one of the few who can use his left foot and hit a target.

Has quickly become one of my favourite players. Keeping him around the ball and not trying to turn him into a true forward has been one of the best things Teague has done.

Reply #66

"The inside-50 differential was in our favour but their effectiveness was off the charts."

Luke Beveridge

Hard to believe but true.

Reply #67

"The inside-50 differential was in our favour but their effectiveness was off the charts."

Luke Beveridge

Hard to believe but true.

Yes, 41 Inside 50's for 23 scoring shots is not common and very good going. Last week GWS had 26 Inside 50's for 18 scoring shots, which is nuts.

Reply #68
Coaches' votes :

Reply #69
Bevo likes voting Dogs no matter what the outcome, have a look at some of his losses and the AFLCA votes in Dog's games are just weird.

8 Jack Martin (1 x 5 + 1 x 3)
5 Ed Curnow (1 x 5) or (1 x 4 + 1 x 1)
5 Jack Macrae (1 x 5) or (1 x 4 + 1 x 1) :o
4 Eddie Betts  (1 x 4)
3 Alex Keath  (1 x 3)
2 Harrison McKay (1 x 2)
2 Michael Gibbons (1 x 2)
1 Bailey Smith ( 1 x 1)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
I keep forgetting this bloke, but his highlight package is probably superior to Charlie.

Some fans are going to be very unhappy in the future, because I can see a year or two down the track we might lose one or two players to trade.

I hope Lloyd and his cohorts know what they are doing, they've jumped on board the fresh timber like good little white-ants, I hope they don't eat the foundation out of our house and home. Really the hard work has been done, it's just available to fork up now!
The key to retaining them is simple, win games, get success and they'll stay, even for less money. Haw, Geel, Rich have all done it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #71
The knock on Matt Kennedy has been that he was too slow. He was anything but on Sunday, spreading with the best of them. Whether it is a loss of weight, ankles working properly or whatever, but he showed good pace on the weekend.

Reply #72
Let's put this win in perspective. Dogs last three games:

Earliest game first:

Beat GWS by 24
Beat Swans by 28
Beat North by 49.
 Yes three bottom half teams, so perhaps the Dogs form line isn't as pristine as their marketing department makes it out to be!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
The knock on Matt Kennedy has been that he was too slow. He was anything but on Sunday, spreading with the best of them. Whether it is a loss of weight, ankles working properly or whatever, but he showed good pace on the weekend.

I thought his disposal at times was a bit sus, but his pressure was great and his running and positioning was first class.
Well done to him.

Reply #74
Has there been any talk of the "studs up" incident?