Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 5696 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

We play Port at 1305 at the 'Gabba next Sunday 19th July.
We're not on free to air TV again.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #1
Toughest test so far.

Lycett and Westhoff are a very good match up against Pittonet and Levi, then there is Dixon who is almost unstoppable.

Port are not short of hard edged mids either!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Toughest test so far.

Lycett and Westhoff are a very good match up against Pittonet and Levi, then there is Dixon who is almost unstoppable.

Port are not short of hard edged mids either!

Yes, should hopefully be a ripping game.

Dixon, unlike Levi, is not a gentle soul.

Reply #3
Ports weakness is down back where they are under sized.....so Levi and Harry need to be fed the ball and convert well.
It will force them to play Westhoff down back and put more pressure on Dixon...I think Jones and Weitering can handle him and Marshall but its the medium classy types like Rozee, Gray, Ebert and Motlop that will trouble us IMO.
They had a good win over GWS and players like Powell Pepper threw their weight around and I'd expect more of that stuff this week
especially if Cripps is sore.
Port will start favorites but I give us chance if we can control the middle and use our tall forwards to advantage....

Reply #4
I would think Jones would be a good matchup for Dixon who can lose his composure under pressure.  I agree with EB, we need to pay close attention to their midfield and not let them off the leash.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
Ports weakness is down back where they are under sized.....so Levi and Harry need to be fed the ball and convert well.
It will force them to play Westhoff down back and put more pressure on Dixon...I think Jones and Weitering can handle him and Marshall but its the medium classy types like Rozee, Gray, Ebert and Motlop that will trouble us IMO.
They had a good win over GWS and players like Powell Pepper threw their weight around and I'd expect more of that stuff this week
especially if Cripps is sore.
Port will start favorites but I give us chance if we can control the middle and use our tall forwards to advantage....

Generally agree, except the bit on Dixon. I'm not sure any of our back 6 can handle him, even on a rotation basis. He's agile for a big man, a good pack mark, good set shot, adroit at bringing the ball to ground, and clearly loves the crash and bash. if Port win too many centre clearances and clearances near their F50, we are toast IMO. 

Reply #6
Afaik, the last time we played Port it was the smalls and mediums who put us to the sword, Boak, Ebert, Motlop, Rozee and Gray.

Lycett was also good racking up midfielder like possessions.

I specifically recall Gray being ultra-damaging forward of centre, and Boak knocking our skinny blokes over left, right and centre.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
No excuses, last week showed they can play for 4 qtrs, required again this week and next week, and the week after that etc. PA will be a test. We normally go well against the top sides just not for long enough. Coach needs to come up with a plan, they players need to execute for 4 qtrs and we are a chance. Problem is, we have seen too many time we turn up half asleep the week after a good win. Balls in your court Teague et al.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #8
I still dont rate Port as a top team....Tigers, GWS, WC and maybe Pies and Geelong are the top teams still and IMHO Port are racking up wins like Essendon courtesy of this weird season. Ken Hinkley is a nice bloke but no mastermind in the coaches box and I think a few people have gone early and over rated Port mainly on the basis they have a couple of slick young kids and a bearded monster in the goal square.

Reply #9
I still dont rate Port as a top team....Tigers, GWS, WC and maybe Pies and Geelong are the top teams still and IMHO Port are racking up wins like Essendon courtesy of this weird season. Ken Hinkley is a nice bloke but no mastermind in the coaches box and I think a few people have gone early and over rated Port mainly on the basis they have a couple of slick young kids and a bearded monster in the goal square.
You can only play whats in front of you EB, right now Port at the top of the heap so they need to be treated with respect. I remember in 2017 when Richmond kept winning and whenever finals talk came about, many including me, would say "Pffft, Ninethmond". Nekminut ...
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
Jones can take Dixon.   It's their crafty small types and hard midfielders (Boak Wines PP) that will cause us problems. We have no match up for Gray,  he kicks goals against us for fun.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #11
I'm not sure they're a true top team either but it's a weird season and they have some history on their side..........well sort of. Every leap year this century the side that has been on top after round 1 has gone on to win the flag...lol.

Reply #12
Ebert out suspended for one match..

Reply #13
Ebert out suspended for one match..
Probably helps our cause, the Port little blokes usually have a day out against us, but I think control over Dixon and Westhoff is the key.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
2nd last game in Brisbane before we head to Perth with Hawthorn to join Geelong and Collingwood. So would be nice to roll Port and North before we go. So after North in round 8, Hawthorn round 9 we'll get the 2 WA clubs and Collingwood in what ever order.