Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 5698 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #15
Whatever, don't play Cripps injured!

Reply #16
Probably helps our cause, the Port little blokes usually have a day out against us, but I think control over Dixon and Westhoff is the key.
Westhoff will play down back IMO as Port have no tall defenders unless they bring someone else in.....
reckon Rockliff will replace Ebert.

Reply #17
Whatever, don't play Cripps injured!
I know the club has said that Cripps is OK, but he isn't. You can tell by the amount of strapping he has all over his body. I hope the club is thinking long term enough to let him recover.
I hate playing guys who are not right: it comes back to bite us on the posterior too often for my tastes.
But the club is well known for ignoring my opinion on this matter.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
Westhoff will play down back IMO as Port have no tall defenders unless they bring someone else in.....
reckon Rockliff will replace Ebert.

Which is a win in itself (Westhoff down back).

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #19
If Port have even a sniff of an injured Cripps their attack dogs such as SPP will be unleashed.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
I know the club has said that Cripps is OK, but he isn't. You can tell by the amount of strapping he has all over his body. I hope the club is thinking long term enough to let him recover.
I hate playing guys who are not right: it comes back to bite us on the posterior too often for my tastes.
But the club is well known for ignoring my opinion on this matter.

I agree, but Cripps occupies the best tagger even when he is off.  All he has to do is attend the contests without really getting in there, and he is worth having on the ground.

Its also useful to have a big lump like him down forward as he can take a mark even when not 100%.

There are times when I say dont play an injured bloke, but Cripps isnt a regular human.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
I agree, but Cripps occupies the best tagger even when he is off.  All he has to do is attend the contests without really getting in there, and he is worth having on the ground.

Its also useful to have a big lump like him down forward as he can take a mark even when not 100%.

There are times when I say dont play an injured bloke, but Cripps isnt a regular human.
This. Just take the center bounce then waltz on down to the goal square, good luck with that to Salt and Pepper Shaker or whatever his name is. Even with one arm Crippa would take him to the cleaners.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
need to stop the easy exit from our fwd line by port runners thats half the game there.Who can forget that open (port) fwdline with gray all the room to lead kicking 5 goals at the G  all starts from there defence

Reply #23
Stop Westhoff!
Need to stop the Hoff!
He always burns us.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #24
Stop Westhoff!
Need to stop the Hoff!
He always burns us.

Been under rated, our scouts said he wasnt good enough and we overlooked him...saying all that he is older now, slowed up and his once deadly goal kicking has also tapered off. This is a winnable game IMO and the Power are a flaky unit that can either be great or terrible and its been surprising to see them so consistent.
As PaulP pointed out the bearded assassin Charlie Dixon seems to be a barometer of success for them this season and a player we might need to put more time into than the more gentleman like Hoff . Dixon is one of the few rough diamonds that remain in the game and taming him will go a long way towards winning the game IMHO. He likes to bash and crash and even when not kicking goals will create room and panic for defenders allowing the Port smalls to prosper so Jones and Weitering might have to team up on him.

Reply #25
Been under rated, our scouts said he wasnt good enough and we overlooked him...saying all that he is older now, slowed up and his once deadly goal kicking has also tapered off. This is a winnable game IMO and the Power are a flaky unit that can either be great or terrible and its been surprising to see them so consistent.
As PaulP pointed out the bearded assassin Charlie Dixon seems to be a barometer of success for them this season and a player we might need to put more time into than the more gentleman like Hoff . Dixon is one of the few rough diamonds that remain in the game and taming him will go a long way towards winning the game IMHO. He likes to bash and crash and even when not kicking goals will create room and panic for defenders allowing the Port smalls to prosper so Jones and Weitering might have to team up on him.
Well Charlie and Hoff will be up against a couple of handy, miserly defenders so I reckon they need to bring their best. Tall fwd have been very poor against us of late, I'll back our boys but the mids will need to run two ways and help with the D.
The bloke we really need to watch is Rozee, can be very dangerous around goal. Havent watched a Port game so not sure if he's been playing fwd or mid. Would mind seeing Walshy touch him up if they play on a wing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #26
Dixon has bullied our KPDs before, and while Westhoff is not generally a dominating player against us he has a habit of popping up at just the critical moment to swing momentum.

But in the past the real damage has been by the likes of Boak, Gray, Motlop and Ebert, thankfully Ebert is having a holiday.

I'm not so concerned about eh others provided our fringe guys like Setterfield, Newnes, Cunningham and Gibbons(Fringe!) bring a consistent level of footy.

Will our mids/forwards be prepared to get into Dixon's space?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
Dixon has bullied our KPDs before, and while Westhoff is not generally a dominating player against us he has a habit of popping up at just the critical moment to swing momentum.

But in the past the real damage has been by the likes of Boak, Gray, Motlop and Ebert, thankfully Ebert is having a holiday.

I'm not so concerned about eh others provided our fringe guys like Setterfield, Newnes, Cunningham and Gibbons(Fringe!) bring a consistent level of footy.

Will our mids/forwards be prepared to get into Dixon's space?
Dixon last played against us in Rnd 15 2018, he took a mammoth 4 marks and kicked 1 goal. Rnd 5 2017 2 marks 2 goals. Rnd 8 2016 3 marks 2 goals. The most he's kicked against us is 3 goals in 2015. Thats hardly cause for Jonesy or Weiters to quake in their boots. He's kicked one decent bag (6 this year) in 3 seasons albeit injury interrupted. I'll back our tall defs at this stage.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #28
Dixon last played against us in Rnd 15 2018, he took a mammoth 4 marks and kicked 1 goal. Rnd 5 2017 2 marks 2 goals. Rnd 8 2016 3 marks 2 goals. The most he's kicked against us is 3 goals in 2015. Thats hardly cause for Jonesy or Weiters to quake in their boots. He's kicked one decent bag (6 this year) in 3 seasons albeit injury interrupted. I'll back our tall defs at this stage.
No doubt, but bullying isn't about collecting stats, bullying is about having an impact on an opponent, like the impact Mumford has on opposition players.
Our focus becomes the bully, and the rest of the bully's team have a feast!

I think tactically, one of BBs shortfalls was not hurting the opposition going the other way. He'd leave us with two or three blokes standing a guy like Dixon while we lose all intercept marking and defensive run. I'd go the very opposite, and have players like Weitering and Jones hurting Dixon's team going in the other direction, make Dixon accountable right down to his own D50!

They have Dixon and Westhoff, we've Mckay, McGovern, Casboult, Weitering and Jones in potentially the same roles!

We've lost the last three outings against Port, the last win we had was when Kreuzer had a day out at Etihad back in 2016.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
If we contain and beat their midfield then that would largely starve Dixon out in his forward role. Of course he could then be moved to his ruck/on ball role - Pittonet come on down?
If we keep F50 pressure on that would mean the Hoff in a defensive role.
Reality always wins in the end.