Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 10863 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #15
Such a crucial loss. Long time since we can say that but we're a bonifide side now and in such a close competition that could cost us. One game can be the difference between top 4 and out of the 8 at the moment.

Reply #16
Absolutely. Couldn’t fault anyone today. Loved the spirit that’s developing. There was a weak act by a Port player in the second quarter and a few of our younger players took it right up to him. Bit of luck needed, but I guess they missed some sitters as well.

Yep, and it took their best player (out of form this year admittedly) to kick the impossible goal. A most unfortunate time for him to pull out one of his party tricks.

Reply #17
Why didnt they maintain possession when the 1min board went up? Why kick to an uneven contest (Gibbons). Lack of awareness.The last 5 minutes felt like they were spent manufacturing a loss. That hurst more than a flgging IMO.
Just saying the same thing to my partner. Haven’t been able to take one Farking pack mark all day but in the last minute you still kick it into them and no surprise it comes out again in their favour.

Why couldn’t they have kicked it around? So damn frustrating, that was a heartbreaker.

Reply #19
My god that hurt. 

Just needed a bit of composure and one of our big forwards to not get out marked down the line.

Westoff did nothing all game but was the one who took the intercept marks to launch their final attacks 

Have played a lot of the higher ranked teams  so I’m just hoping now we can do what we haven’t been able to do in previous years and win the games against the teams below us. We look like we have improved but we have had good wins in previous years but then failed in games we should have won and still finished near the bottom.

We have had a lot is pain I am pleased with the he progress but we must beat the teams below us before I am 100% convinced we have arrived.

And that starts next week.

North are crippled and getting the points against them is every bit as important as today was. 

Reply #20
North might be crippled but we don’t have a great record against them. Very easily be 3 and 5 by next game. Hate these close lost games.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #21
@ shawny
I agree. Next week even more important than today imo.
Today we showed we can match the best. V North we must show our Achilles heel is no longer our greatest weakness
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #22
Cruel .... nothing more to say.  Other than I don't like Port. 

Reply #23
If we play like we did today, we'll beat North by 10 goals - they're in all sorts.

Reply #24
I see it different, Ports poor goalkicking late kept us in the game, Dixon went off and they only had two on the bench. We had a lot going for us and still couldn't win it.
If Dixon had kicked straight it would have been a comfortable Port win imo.

Reply #25
Other than composure under high level fatigue at the siren, we matched them all over the ground. That's from watching the game, not a stats viewpoint.

Terribly disappointing for sure, but as I've been saying all year. It's fixable.

We played some very good football against the ladder leader. It could have just as easily been a W. Our boys will take a lot if confidence and belief in their systems from the game. 
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #26
Yep, and it took their best player (out of form this year admittedly) to kick the impossible goal. A most unfortunate time for him to pull out one of his party tricks.
Poetic justice really, they missed 3-4 sitters from infront, probably fitting they kick the impossible one after the siren. They were just smarter than us in the last 2-3 minutes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
I see it different, Ports poor goalkicking late kept us in the game, Dixon went off and they only had two on the bench. We had a lot going for us and still couldn't win it.
Yep. We definitely stole defeat from the jaws of victory.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #28
Just heartbreaking. Utterly draining. Felt like we were going to steal it for a fleeting moment when SPS got that dinky kick to Gibbo, but then bad decision to kick down the line and then lack of effort cost us. Still we took it up to them. Would be nice to steal one once in a while. God knows plenty of sides do it to us. Everyone looked out on their feet.
I'd give blokes like Murphy a miss next week and write it off as "managed". Plenty of kids to choose from. Time to experiment.
Can't say I was bitterly disappointed. Didn't think we'd win and Port had a few chances at the end to ice the game. Sort of thing we'd do and unlike Port we'd ultimately lose it. For the main part our blokes showed a bit but couldn't make the most of our opportunities in forward 50.
One thing I will say though,  after that effort if we come out next week and played like a pack of girls against North I'll do a Terry Wallace.

Reply #29

Fact is we were in front and didn't show the composure in the last 45 sec. We missed a few too earlier on. We're a bonfide finals type side now so this loss was a stinger even if it did show we can again match it with the best. In such a close season a couple of poor starts early in the year might cost us (can't believe i just said that about Carlton...lol).